Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18 26 27 28
Results 676 to 696 of 696

Thread: Last movie seen, part 5

  1. #676
    Winter Wrap Up
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Frozen North

    Fear Footage
    The Houses October Built 2
    Bad Ben
    Space Dogs
    Space Dogs 2
    Sheep and Wolves 2
    The LEGO Movie 2

    [Princess Celestia]
    You've come such a long, long way
    And I've watched you from that very first day

  2. # ADS

    Join Date
    Location
    Posts
     

  3. #677

    I didn't think there were enough net positives to The Lion King to explain why they made it. I know people will say it's not a shot for shot remake, but it might as well have been. The voice acting wasn't special, and I even found Zazu especially annoying this time around (and I loved John Oliver on Community, so it wasn't him, it was the barage of lines.) At least they had the actors do their own singing this time. I never really understood why they didn't just have the signing voices do the dialogue last time. But overall, Disney should stick to nature films and stop these CGI remakes of animated animal movies.

    On the other hand, I really liked The Farewell. At one point I did wonder how many scenes of the family eating there were going to be. In the end I thought everything paid off and I walked out satisfied with the hour and 40 minutes I spent with that story.


  4. #678
    Winter Wrap Up
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Frozen North

    Alien Abduction
    Norm of the North 2

    [Princess Celestia]
    You've come such a long, long way
    And I've watched you from that very first day

  5. #679
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherJenny View Post
    I didn't think there were enough net positives to The Lion King to explain why they made it. I know people will say it's not a shot for shot remake, but it might as well have been. The voice acting wasn't special, and I even found Zazu especially annoying this time around (and I loved John Oliver on Community, so it wasn't him, it was the barage of lines.) At least they had the actors do their own singing this time. I never really understood why they didn't just have the signing voices do the dialogue last time. But overall, Disney should stick to nature films and stop these CGI remakes of animated animal movies.
    I reacted much the same way to the film. I didn't think it was bad really, but I didn't entirely understand why it exists other than as a technical demo of photo-realistic CGI. It doesn't really bring anything significantly new to the story.

    I've always thought it was strange that Matthew Broderick didn't do his own singing in the original film, considering that he has had some significant success in Broadway musicals. Admittedly, that was mostly after he did "The Lion King", but obviously his voice is strong enough that he could have handled the songs in the film. One bit of trivia, for those that didn't know it, the singing voice of Simba in the original film was Joseph Williams, who is the son of John Williams, the well-known composer.
    "You're not a grown up! You're a Dad!" -ARG

    Visit my website for my photos and writing
    Read my grandmother and sister's poetry at Generations Poetry

  6. #680
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffG View Post
    I reacted much the same way to the film. I didn't think it was bad really, but I didn't entirely understand why it exists other than as a technical demo of photo-realistic CGI. It doesn't really bring anything significantly new to the story.

    I've always thought it was strange that Matthew Broderick didn't do his own singing in the original film, considering that he has had some significant success in Broadway musicals. Admittedly, that was mostly after he did "The Lion King", but obviously his voice is strong enough that he could have handled the songs in the film. One bit of trivia, for those that didn't know it, the singing voice of Simba in the original film was Joseph Williams, who is the son of John Williams, the well-known composer.
    Not to totally derail the thread, but there is so little dialogue in the original I'm not sure why they had separate voice actors. I don't remember the movie being promoted on the strength of the voice cast to begin with. At one point during this remake I kind of thought that if they had just reanimated the opening sequence or just the songs in CGI to show it could be done, I may have actually been more impressed.

    I wasn't a big fan of the recent Dumbo remake either. It was a different story, but it wasn't necessarily a better story. I've read that they're using real dogs for Lady and the Tramp, so maybe that one will be worth seeing.

  7. #681
    Winter Wrap Up
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Frozen North

    The Fourth Kind
    Norm of the North 3

    [Princess Celestia]
    You've come such a long, long way
    And I've watched you from that very first day

  8. #682
    Registered User
    MousePad Subscriber
    cstephens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Dystopia
    Blog Entries
    1

    "Brian Banks" - Very well made film with a lot of terrific performances. I'm amazed that he made it out alive and doing well. I was so angry at so many of the things that were done to him.

    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine


    Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

  9. #683
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    "The Farewell" - I've been looking forward to seeing this since I heard about it when they were talking about news from the Sundance Film Festival. I really enjoyed the film, though I have to admit it made me think about a lot of things that hit close to home. So many struggles for the characters to deal with, and it's not a matter of who's right or wrong - just perspective.
    Quick question: DH wants to know if this was depressing -- to me the trailer was thought provoking and very interesting, but he thinks it might be a downer. Your call?

  10. #684
    Winter Wrap Up
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Frozen North

    They're Inside
    Sing 2016

    [Princess Celestia]
    You've come such a long, long way
    And I've watched you from that very first day

  11. #685
    Registered User
    MousePad Subscriber
    cstephens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Dystopia
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    Quick question: DH wants to know if this was depressing -- to me the trailer was thought provoking and very interesting, but he thinks it might be a downer. Your call?
    I wouldn't say it's depressing unless the mere mention/discussion of death is perceived as depressing. There's a lot about how death and dying is treated/approached in different cultures, and there's definitely a comparison of culture/customs in the U.S. vs. China. There's a lot of humour in the film, sometimes outright funny stuff and sometimes wry humour. I found myself nodding a lot at the familiarity of some of the topics discussed.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine


    Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

  12. #686
    Winter Wrap Up
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Frozen North

    Cabin 28
    Sheep and Wolves

    [Princess Celestia]
    You've come such a long, long way
    And I've watched you from that very first day

  13. #687

    Hobbes and Shaw 8/10 as Jason S and Dwayne J have great chemistry. Movie shows they take life but do not take themselves too seriously. Hope to see more of the love-hate duo.

    Ready for School!

  14. #688
    Read Everything-Assume Nothing
    MousePad Administrator
    GusMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Blog Entries
    17

    The Lego Movie 2.
    Saw this for the lego lover in me and my son. It was decent... it was kinda funny. Not as good as the first one, but still a good watch.

    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

    The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

  15. #689
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I wouldn't say it's depressing unless the mere mention/discussion of death is perceived as depressing. There's a lot about how death and dying is treated/approached in different cultures, and there's definitely a comparison of culture/customs in the U.S. vs. China. There's a lot of humour in the film, sometimes outright funny stuff and sometimes wry humour. I found myself nodding a lot at the familiarity of some of the topics discussed.
    That's what I was thinking based on the trailer -- thank you! I think Mr. Tea will be fine.

  16. #690

    It's based on a true story. You can look up the actual ending if you really want to know if it's going to have a sad ending. I could spoil it, but...


  17. #691
    Registered User
    MousePad Subscriber
    cstephens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Dystopia
    Blog Entries
    1

    "Blinded by the Light" - I'm not really a Springsteen fan, but the trailer caught my attention. I really liked the movie. While the focus is Springsteen's songs, I think it just speaks to the impact that music can have, and that it can easily transcend culture. There are also other topics that get brought up in the film that are unfortunately too close to things happening right now. So sad.

    I was happy about a particular actress that's in the movie that I didn't know would be.

     
    Hayley Atwell plays an English teacher.


    And here's where I admit to something maybe everyone else already knows - I was confused as to the title of the film. I know that song, it's a song by Manfred Mann, why are they using that as the title of this film? I had no clue the song was written by Springsteen and that the Manfred Mann version was a cover.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine


    Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

  18. #692

    Glad you enjoyed the movie. We liked the trailer and are planning on seeing this soon.


  19. #693
    Registered User
    MousePad Subscriber
    cstephens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Dystopia
    Blog Entries
    1

    "The Peanut Butter Falcon" - A pretty quirky movie but I liked it. Some seriously good and funny bits.

    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine


    Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

  20. #694
    Registered User
    MousePad Subscriber
    cstephens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Dystopia
    Blog Entries
    1

    "Luce" - It was a really good movie with a lot of terrific performances. Very tense, which I expected. Brought up a lot of questions and issues.

    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine


    Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

  21. #695

    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

    Look, if you like Leonardo DiCaprio or Brad Pitt, go see this movie. I haven't seen Tarantino's last three movies all the way through, so I can't comment on how this compares. I thought it started out really slow. I checked my watch about an hour and 15 minutes in and realized it wasn't even half over. It's 2 hours and 45 minutes. There's a scene during the credits, too. I didn't think that the trailer gives a very accurate depiction of the story, but at the same time, it might not give it all away, either.

    If you know LA well (Hollywood and Westwood specifically) there's some fun nostalgia there. I knew it featured the Manson Family, but it wasn't what I was expecting. In fact, I think I built up more suspense than the movie delivered. If anyone wants anything more spoiler-y I can use the spoiler tag.


  22. #696
    Registered User
    MousePad Subscriber
    cstephens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Dystopia
    Blog Entries
    1

    "After the Wedding" - I enjoyed this film quite a bit. Very nice performances by Julianne Moore and Michelle Williams, as well as the woman who plays the daughter. Some really interesting points in the film.

    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine


    Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •