Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Fire at Seven Dwarfs [Mine Train attraction; Nov. 1]

still romantic at heart

Fire at Seven Dwarfs [Mine Train attraction; Nov. 1]

This just in...
    Fire at the 7 dwarfs mine train shut down ride.

Youtube video from a guest https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO5NCfaLlYs

reports coming in from several sources, no news if there has been any injuries

Grateful for all God has done for me, and for having Wfoxx by my side.

2. # ADS

still romantic at heart

here's another video as posted on behind the thrills
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i8WCdIa438

Grateful for all God has done for me, and for having Wfoxx by my side.

The Queen is at it again!

Gee, I hope it's not as bad as it looks. And I hope no one was hurt.

1999 - Coronado; 2003 - DL's Paradise Pier ; 2005 - All Star Music; 2007 - POP; 2008 - Paradise Pier; 2009 - POP ; 2010 - Dolphin; 2011 - POP; 2012 - POFQ; 2013 - POFQ; 2014 - POFQ; 2015 - Art of Animation; 2016 - Pop; July 2017 - POFQ

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas, but what happens at Disney stays with you a lifetime

MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

They seem to have some problems with fireworks fallout in that area of the park.

Here's the story from the Orlando Sentinal -

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...101-story.html

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

I always wondered how they monitor and plan for firework shells, fires, etc. Glad no one was hurt.

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There were posted wait times on the Touring Plans app yesterday as if it were open. Can anyone confirm?

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    There were posted wait times on the Touring Plans app yesterday as if it were open. Can anyone confirm?
    Can't confirm personally, but many stories mention the ride re-opened one hour later, so it seems logical it was open on Sunday.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by TinaMouse View Post
    I always wondered how they monitor and plan for firework shells, fires, etc. Glad no one was hurt.
    I know they will cancel for high winds, but no idea what the cutoff point is...

I was EPCOT one night with my ex-gf watching IllumiNations...The ash coming down around the UK side of WS was so bad, we litteraly had to put sunglasses on to watch as it was almost unbearable.

I was pretty surprised they hadn't called that one off.
    Joey

MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

Perhaps they need to configure some sprinklers to spray down the area ahead of fireworks or have a fire detection system that activates them.

When I worked at 20K in 1992, which was in exactly that area where NF is, we would get some fallout form shells and such. The queue/office/docks were right there on the south side of SDMT across from the buildings of what was at that time in ice cream/quick service location. There used to be a grid of wires across the walking area to discourage seagulls from dive-bombing for ice cream. But I digress... Whenever I was working on the docks during the fireworks (I always tried to be there for them), I would watch for debris so I could inspect it. Chinese newspapers used for the shells, big surprise! Never got much that was actually burning at all.

The CPSC would have us believe that fireworks start millions of fires and burn thousands of people to death every year, but that is just not the case in reality. Fireworks are safer than cars. But since the MK has added the big mine/comet racks shooting out from both sides flanking the castle, we're bound to have some burning fallout in some windy conditions. Not a big deal usually.

Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19
    Magic Kingdom Cast Member 1/92-8/92 (WDW CP) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

I remember a showing of IllumiNations years ago where one of the islands in the lagoon had a fire on it. So it does happen, albeit rarely.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Thousands of shells fired daily across WDW virtually every day of the year. Tremendous amounts of preparation and prevention for every show. One small, contained fire and the attraction is back online about an hour later. We were more at risk of serious injury on the commute to work this morning than we ever have been on Disney property.

True, driving is more dangerous. I make aerial shells as one of my many hobbies, as well as other types of fireworks. It utterly disgusts me how many municipalities ban fireworks under the grossly-inflated fear of fires, causing people to go outside of town to use them. Risk of a fire is at least 1000 times as much in a natural landscape than in a mostly-paved urban area. The biggest problems is lack of discretion by morons who might launch shells at 3am on a Wednesday night. Common sense is no longer common, or even normal!

But yeah, even my best friend (not a huge Disney fan) who is a professional Fire Protection Engineer for the city here says he knows WDW EMS and fire response is about the best there is in the world. As a CM they told us they could have an EMS 'alpha team' anywhere in the park in less than 3 minutes. I actually saw it in action once when a kid slipped on the steps down into the sub and split his head open. Four inches of water (yes, it was!) on pathways in Fantasyland and they were there almost instantly.

Nick Andrews, DL misc74-76,85,91,12/11,1/13, WDW 78,83,85,1/92-8/92,95,99,04x8,5/11,2/12, 9/12,6/13,3/14,11/14,3/15,9/15,4/16,9/16,12/16,4/17,11/17,4/18,10/18,1/19,5/19,10/19
    Magic Kingdom Cast Member 1/92-8/92 (WDW CP) 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea