Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: More Mouse: Remembering the Magic: The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

More Mouse: Remembering the Magic: The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Remembering the Magic: The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror by Jonathan Heigl

Contributing writer Jonathan Heigl looks at the magic of The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Read it here!

2. # ADS

There is actually only four lift shafts (plus the chicken lift) in the boiler room, this blog http://eeyoreandhs.wordpress.com/201...wer-of-terror/ has a good write-up of the technicals of the Florida Tower of Terror where there are four loading/darkride lift shafts and then two drop shafts. The California and Paris towers are different as there are three drop shafts and they load into the same shafts, the cars don't move horizontally in the same way as Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by jon81uk View Post
    There is actually only four lift shafts (plus the chicken lift) in the boiler room, this blog http://eeyoreandhs.wordpress.com/201...wer-of-terror/ has a good write-up of the technicals of the Florida Tower of Terror where there are four loading/darkride lift shafts and then two drop shafts. The California and Paris towers are different as there are three drop shafts and they load into the same shafts, the cars don't move horizontally in the same way as Florida.
    You are absolutely correct. Thanks! Sorry about that. This was a case of two different thoughts combined into one. I was going to start off with the six motors but then went into elevators for one reason or another. I will have this corrected.

Thanks!
    "Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers."

Quote Originally Posted by jheigl View Post
    Thanks! Sorry about that.
    No need to apologise, I am just fascinated about the mechanics of how the two different types of Tower work in FL and CA.

It's a good thing you said "leave it alone"! Man, I was ready to blast!

I love the ToT at WDW. It's just the best ride ever. I just wish that the Disneyland version would be like it's Florida sister. You get in the elevator, it picks you up, talks, then drops you in the same sequence each time. There's no top floor dream sequence or the sound of you entering the 5th dimension or that eerie sequence that stops you in the shaft with the ghosts looking right at you. It's just not the same.

Working for Disney. No, no. Working (in a Modesto office) for (the money to take a trip to) Disney (World/Land)

WDW Trips: June 2002, Feb 2004, Dec 2006, Dec 2008, Jan 2010, Feb 2011, Dec 2012
    Disneyland Trips: Feb 2006, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, Feb, March, June 2015 (x2), Nov 2015

I actually prefer the ride being in the same shaft like at DCA. Having it move forward reminds me that I'm not actually in a elevator, but in a thrill ride. Somewhat lessens the illusion.

I do like the random drops at DHS though, and the enormous grounds make it one of the best themed rides ever done in my opinion.

I met one of the Imagineers who designed Tower of Terror. I was demonstrating a computer system for him. He asked great questions and, unlike almost everyone else who received such a demo, he clearly understood everything I told him. His name was Bran Ferren. Forget the Dos Equis guy. Bran Ferren is the "Most Interesting Man In the World"! This guy has been doing amazing things since he was in high school. After working for Disney, Ferren started a fascinating company called "Applied Minds". My employer occasionally works with them.

I saw a TV show where Ferren was interviewed about designing Tower of Terror to pull riders down faster than gravity would take them. When he and other Imagineers visited Otis elevator and described what they were doing, the people at Otis told them to get lost. They wanted nothing to do with an elevator intentionally designed to scare the wits out of people.