MousePlanet Staff

Team MousePlanet: Elephants Fly Over Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend

Elephants Fly Over Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend by Lorree Tachell

Lorree Tachell recaps the 2014 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Although I missed the 10K group photo (and I even 'heard' AVP call to the MP peeps to go to the photo op - it just didn't register in my brain!) I thought the photo would be included here.

Cathy

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Although I missed the 10K group photo (and I even 'heard' AVP call to the MP peeps to go to the photo op - it just didn't register in my brain!) I thought the photo would be included here.
    That would have been a good addition. Apologies - I missed it. Do you know who took the picture?
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

This may be just a personal peeve of mine, but I object to the following phrase in the article: "while I did hear a lot of grumbling over the lack of 5K and 10K items". To me, "grumbling" implies that it's unjustified, and I believe that the complaints about the lack of 5K and 10K shirts was definitely justified. Yes, those who participated in the 5K and 10K got race shirts as part of their registration, but it would have been nice to have something else to choose from as well. I certainly don't expect the multitude of choices available to the half-marathon or Dumbo participants, but even something like a magnet or a car sticker would be cool. I think Disney does a good job of not just focussing on the half-marathons. I think there are a significant number of people who are drawn into the races, and maybe even racing in general, because Disney holds 5K and 10K races and you get some of the same experience as the half-marathon participants, and I think that's an incentive to continue participating and even doing longer races. I was a spectator/cheer person for the 5K, so it gave me a much different perspective on the races. There were so many kids who participated, and that was really nice to see. And who knows what the background stories might be for some of the participants, who might have had a real triumph in being able to participate in the 5K? A shirt is nice, but you can't always wear that. It would be nice to be able to purchase some other memento of the accomplishment. I can't remember if they had pins for the 5K and 10K this time, but if they did, there weren't very many of them. I was at the expo on Thursday late afternoon, and if there were any pins, they were sold out of them already.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

There was a 10K pin, but it sold out early along with the Coast to Coast medal pin pictured in the article.

We took the group photo with my iPhone. I uploaded it to the newly-created Team MP>Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend photo gallery.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    This may be just a personal peeve of mine, but I object to the following phrase in the article: "while I did hear a lot of grumbling over the lack of 5K and 10K items". To me, "grumbling" implies that it's unjustified, and I believe that the complaints about the lack of 5K and 10K shirts was definitely justified.
    I must agree with you. We went early Friday to the Expo, and there was nothing left for 10k. I was told pins sold out Thurs AM. I know there are a lot of "semi=professional" runners who give impressions that 5 and 10K races aren't real races, however, not everyone can do a 1/2 or full marathon. And for those doing the 5 and 10K races, theirs is just as important.

The positive thing about the Expo this trip? I GOT MY SHOES! Didn't need an appt. Walked in, they had it very organized and we were in and out quickly! Heiress got a pair of Minnie's, Escape Artist got Goofy's, and EA's wife got Cindy's!

I would have loved to have seen the MP meet pics.

Thank you for the trip report!
    Planning 3 trips at once...

The meet photo is just above your post.

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    The meet photo is just above your post.
    And the meet pic from the half was included in the article. It was the picture of Tim.
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k