Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Come cheer with Team MousePlanet at the 2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Come cheer with Team MousePlanet at the 2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon

Team MousePlanet will again host a cheer station between miles 8 & 9 of the Disneyland half-marathon course. We'll hand out oranges, licorice and cool cloths or sponges (all while supplies last) to runners and walkers, plus dole out unlimited amounts of support and motivation.

This will be our fourth event hosting a cheer station, and we've heard from so many runners how much silly signs and an orange wedge can make a difference in the back half of the race.

We have a small core crew, but need volunteers to come help out the morning of the race to hand our goodies and cheer so we can support as many runners as possible.

We're going to set up on the corner of Center Street Promenade and Lemon in Anaheim, just past mile marker 8 on the course. This is a great location with lots of parking options and the ability to avoid most of the race-related road closures.

We plan to be in place by 6am. There is plenty of parking in the Vons shopping center at Harbor and Lincoln, with a walkway leading onto Lemon. There's a Starbucks in that center, so you can get coffee to keep you going. We stay in place until the sweep has passed our location, which is usually around 8 a.m., so that we can cheer on every last runner, walker and (by that point) limper and crawler. If you need to leave earlier to meet a runner at the finish line, just let us know when you sign up so we know.

We'll provide everything for the runners, all you need to bring is yourself, a great attitude, and whatever supplies you want - a chair, sunblock, snacks and drinks. Noise makers of any type are a great ides - you will be sore from clapping and hoarse from yelling very quickly!

If you would like to volunteer for our cheer station, please let us know by replying to this thread, and we hope to see you there!

Last edited by AVP; 01-13-2014 at 03:23 PM.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

The orange slicer has been purchased, the oranges are ready to chop and we have 3600 Red Vines ready to hand out. All we need is YOU!

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Headless Chicken

Ken, my hubby, will be there around 5am to unload and set-up. We have shade, chairs, tables, etc., and it is a LOT of fun! It's a great way to participate in the race and support the efforts of thousands and be their hero.

First 5K - Neverland - January 19th, 2013
    First Half Marathon - TinkerBell - January 19th, 2014

It's amazing what is possible in just one year.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I've been on BOTH sides of this table - I've cheered at the MousePlanet Station and I've been blessed to receive cheers, hugs, oranges, sponge and Red Vines from the station, mid-race.

I can't quite say which side I liked better because I really had a GREAT time cheering - so if you're thinking about joining us, I will be VERY grateful - but I know first hand that you'll have a lot of fun, too!

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Headless Chicken

I have to agree with everything that Adrienne said! As a runner, the station is a godsend!

As a volunteer, it is inspiring to see every runner at every level, and amazing to see how uplifting something as simple as a red vine can be! I know it makes for an early morning, but you'll love it!

Thanks in advance to anyone who volunteers, and I'd love to hug you if you don't mind a sweaty hug!

The Hollywood Chain Gang CariBelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post
    As a runner, the station is a godsend!
    Yes it is! Seriously, seeing someone I "knew" last year was a mood booster!

Headless Chicken

We also have 2,000 salt packets, tampons, Tylenol, sunblock, vaseline, bandaids, and Ice soothing muscle gel.

I am still working on getting sponges though. Could only find the scrubber kind so far, and that would hurt.

Headless Chicken

Got sponges! There are about 400 of 'em.

The station will be housed under a blue-top canopy and bright green signs and the MousePlanet banner. It will be very easy to spot after Mile 8. So, if you're looking to cheer, please try to show up by 6am. And, if you're running, do stop by to say hello and have some goodies!

Thanks to all the volunteers and mp staff for being so wonderfully thoughtful to go out and cheer! It's greatly appreciated to see your cheering when this runner finally gets to your general area. Thanks in advanced, since I may just be way too tired to give proper thanks tomorrow.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

We cheered in front of Hojos this morning - SO MUCH FUN!!! Runners & Walkers LOVE the cheerleaders. So many smiles, cheers back and thank yous!! We had a blast. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

I just realized where the Hojos is and put two and two together. AdrienneK, your family's signs were VERY helpful. Thanks for all that you did.

Thank you so much for being there!

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I can't even begin to tell you how many wonderful comments I overheard as runners / walkers left the MousePlanet cheer station. You made a very real impact.

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Thanks again Tony for the orange slice! There were a line to get the goodies so it was very popular. Now you have to find some way to get all the runners that stop by to wear mouse planet gear in exchange for an orange.

Thank you MP volunteers! What a great pick me up! I had an orange, a red vine and some salt, all helpful. I was about a half mile past when I remembered that I should have asked about a sponge!

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thank you SO SO SO much for the cheer station yesterday! We (our whole team) love you and DO NO take you for granted. I was very thankful for the red vines I grabbed and the oranges Mox gave me, but most of all for Tony having tylenol when I needed it so badly. I forgot to fuel before the start and tried to play catch up at mile 4/5 but it wasn't good. The red vines and oranges gave me a second wind! And I cannot even tell you how much I loved seeing cstephens on the street with pom poms cheering for us! And after she had run the 5k Friday and the 10k Saturday. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

The Hollywood Chain Gang CariBelle's Avatar

Thank you so much! It was fantastic!