Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: More Mouse: The Vacation Kingdom of the World: Five Things That Wouldn't Be Missed

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

More Mouse: The Vacation Kingdom of the World: Five Things That Wouldn't Be Missed

The Vacation Kingdom of the World: Five Things That Wouldn't Be Missed by Tom Richards

Explore some Walt Disney World experiences that author Tom Richards argues need to go away as soon as possible.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Custom Door Stop and Place Holder RobotMonkey's Avatar

Can we replace Mission:Space with an updated Horizons? Also, instead of the upcoming "Avatar Land" (which in my opinion, does not fit in with Disney) create the Beastly Kingdom area that was supposed to be created? And lastly, replace Stitch's Great Escape with...anything?

These were just the first things that popped into my head.

"...a good and wholesome thing is a little harmless fun in this world; it tones a body up and keeps him human and prevents him from souring."

----Mark Twain

GET RID OF THE HAT!!! It destroys the whimsy and magic of Hollywood Studios!! Avatar?? Really?? What about the Beastly Kingdom? Wouldn't it be great to see Heffalumps and Woozles while the big kids enjoy a dueling dragons roller coaster? This could give good 'ol Harry a run for his money!! Keep with the WDW magic, it works! Chester and Hester, agreed! Tacky through and through! Poor CM's and those hiddeous outfits. I feel like some big wig's wife had an "excellet" idea and came up with that disaster.

However, a recurrent theme seems to be a part of this article, Michael Eisner. Interesting....However, it does seem like disney is begining to rebound, ie Fantysland Expansion, Pixar, and so on. So, there is hope!

I'd agree with all of these; the least troublesome being the two hotels. Yes, they're weird and becoming sadly out of date quickly, but that can be fixed with renovations. I highly doubt we'll ever see a complete teardown just because of sightline issues.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't mind Mission:Space, at all (I rather enjoy it, actually, even if it isn't Horizons).
    Stitch, I agree, needs to go. As far as I'm concerned right now, it's an empty space, though, so unless they're going to replace it with something good, it can stay for those that enjoy it (whoever those 3 people may be).
    And I thought Triceratops Spin tilted like the Carpets? It's been a while since I've been on it, though (actually, I 'won' an AK FastPass card during the Years of a Million Dreams on that attraction, and I think that was the last time I rode it!) Do I think Chester & Hester's fits thematically with Animal Kingdom? No. But it could be Stitch's Great Escape.

Was the Countdown to Extinction/Dinosaur Attraction part of the original park when it opened, or was that added with Chester & Hester area?

Cathy

Yes, you're right. Disney fans will disagree with you. While I wouldn't miss Richard Petty's car, nor would I miss the Swan & Dolphin, and Innoventions could easily be turned into a permanent ComicCon, the other two I'm parting ways with you.

Chester & Hester's: I realize it doesn't "fit" the rest of AK. That said, I just brought my first two kids from age 18 months each, to 6yo and 8yo every other year to WDW. And now I have a 2yo who loved it at 18 months, and she'll love it when we return. Chester and Hester's provides that special spinning ride that every munchkin needs at a theme park. Add that to Digging in DinoLand, and you've got a spot you can spend hours at with the little ones. Plus, I really like the gift shop there - reminds me of my many trips back to Texas on the Interstate. And my kids love to see "Gertie", the giant yellow dino. And I like it, too. Just remember that adults aren't the only people who frequent WDW. In fact, Disney built the parks around families, children included.

And my big beef: I am the Sacred Defender of the Sorcerer's Hat! And you shall not blaspheme it's name or image! OK, I'm a little over the top, but that's in direct response to the hate and vitriol aimed at the Hat. I remember when I first saw it in 2002 - I loved it! It so fit the park, for me. With Fantasmic! the nightly show, it just made sense. It gave me a great sense of Mickey Mouse, which is nothing short of Disney Incarnate. I don't even feel like I'm at WDW yet until I see the Hat when the bus pulls into the parking lot. I get excited when I see it. It's my favorite family photo spot on Hollywood Blvd. I know that the Mann gave the park a Hollywood feel, but being a CA resident, I'll say this: if you want a real Hollywood feel, you'll need to add a few bums laying on the curb with wine bottles in brown bags. I love the Hat. Don't move it. Don't change it. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Working for Disney. No, no. Working (in a Modesto office) for (the money to take a trip to) Disney (World/Land)

WDW Trips: June 2002, Feb 2004, Dec 2006, Dec 2008, Jan 2010, Feb 2011, Dec 2012
    Disneyland Trips: Feb 2006, Nov 2013, Nov 2014, Feb, March, June 2015 (x2), Nov 2015

I actually like Innoventions. At Disneyland it's been slowly improving over time. The introduction of Iron Man and Thor, gives a place for Marvel Property to be showcased without conflicting so much with the rest of the Disney feel. I suspect Disney World may get some of those exhibits as well. I would say get rid of ImageWorks area/store (which is now far more 'store' then play area).

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Was the Countdown to Extinction/Dinosaur Attraction part of the original park when it opened, or was that added with Chester & Hester area?
    'Countdown' opened as such with the park's opening. The name was changed to Dinosaur in 2000, when the film came out.
    Its my understanding that they wanted to have the ride and film open at the same time. But there were problems keeping the film on schedule, so it was named Countdown.

I was fully prepared to hate Dino-Rama on my last trip to WDW in 2007, but it turns out that both my wife and I thought it was a lot of fun. Granted, the two of us are fans of kitsch, Route 66, and Roadside Attractions. So Hester and Chester were right up our alley.

Tacky? Yes. But we would hate to see it go away.

Duplicate Post

Yeah, while I've never been there, my understanding is that DinoRama is supposed to be tacky and silly like a roadside carnival. I guess the effect is too good?

Quote Originally Posted by RobotMonkey View Post
    Can we replace Mission:Space with an updated Horizons? Also, instead of the upcoming "Avatar Land" (which in my opinion, does not fit in with Disney) create the Beastly Kingdom area that was supposed to be created? And lastly, replace Stitch's Great Escape with...anything?
    Great big ditto to this!!! I miss Horizons and I cringe thinking about the "Avatar Land", there are SO many other things they could be doing that would be so much better and actually stand the test of time. Beastly Kingdom would be great. *sigh*

I'm with all points in the article too, although I don't mind the Swan and Dolphin all that much. The giant sorceror's hat works well in DTD in California as the entrance to the DLH, but it's a miss in WDW. I so agree, it completely ruins the intended view of GMR at the end of Hollywood Blvd.
    ~Annie

When I read the theme of this article, the first thing I thought of was the BAH! I don't so much mind the hat itself as I mind the placement. The Chinese Theater is a beautiful structure (the idea that there was some kind of licensing deal that ran out is just an internet myth), and it's a shame that it now lives in the shadow of such a huge, out of place icon.

I was also hoping you would include the current Journey Into Your Imagination ride. It's the only ride in the Disney empire that actually makes me angry. It's just a huge nothing of an attraction, especially when compared to the far superior first version of the show. Time to yank it out and put in something new!

The one point I don't agree with is on the hotels. Everything you said is true about how they impinge on the World Showcase skyline. But for me, that skyline has always been somewhat fantastical (if that's a word!). And the inclusion of a couple more fantastical elements doesn't begin to bother me. I just think they're a cool part of a Disney park skyline.

A couple of small quibbles - it's Chester & Hester's (not Hester & Chester's). And for whatever dumb reason, Disney is now calling its second SoCal park Disney California Adventure, dropping the apostrophe s. It doesn't make sense, it isn't consistent with the other parks, and it isn't better in any way. It's just dumb.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

I'm going to post this then head for safety. I like the hat and stage. If anything, I would get rid of the Chinese Theater, remove/relocate some of the ultilidors and move the stage/hat back and create a slight bowl setting. The stage shows now choke the traffic flow in the park and the biggest complaint I hear every time is that people can't see anything from the back of the crowd. If we're going to remove something, how about the Backlot Tour? They can even move the theater set back there.

The swan and Dolphin need to go. It does not match with the whole Disney concept. They are neither aesthetically pleasing or contemporary in design. I find them extremely drab and boring. They would look better on 192 or International drive. I have never liked them from the beginning and still don't.
    Next is the Sorcerer's hat. I never liked it because it makes no sense where it is located and why it was put in. But, I do have to say that I can now see how the Hat would fit in now. The park has lost its sense of direction and think what happened in the movie. Mickey lost control of the brooms and all chaos broke out, very similar to what has happened to this park. This park is called Hollywood Studios? Why is there no studio work going on anymore? What part of film making is shown. The Back lot tour is a joke now. This park seems more like a floundering has been and either needs to change its name and purpose or get some direction to what it was. I remember that the big thing for this was park was that you would be able to see things in production learn about the movie making business. Possibly see a star or two. I think Mann's is great and should be the center. It represents all that is Hollywood from the building right down to the concrete foot prints.
    Enough on that I could write a book on the issues with that park.
    Now Chester's and Hester's, I understand what they wanted to do but unfortunately they missed the mark completely. First the rides are ok but they are set-up in too open of an area. The roadside stands that they claim to be trying to look like were never setup that way. They were in a wooded area and had weird and whimsical signs and charictures by the road. A major retheming of the area and actually making it look like one of those roadside attractions would improve it immensely. The carnival games need to go though, they have no business to being in a Disney Park. Again another area that has either lost or from the beginning had no sense of direction.
    As for the Richard Petty Driving Experience. I have no opinion on it other than it seems quite expensive seems to be a waste of some prime real estate.
    Innoventions, what can I say another area that has lost its sense of direction. This is called Future World for a reason. Let's get innovative. Yes, I realize that keeping up with technology is difficult, But this would provide a continuous change and would get people to visit more often to see what has changed.
    There are several areas in EPCOT that need updating. Unfortunately, Disney seems to have lost all of the Innovative imagineers and are stuck with non-imagineers or unable to imaigneers now days for. Or the more appropriate name "LAZY" because that seems to be what has happened starting in the mid 90s and has progressively gotten worse. There have been a few exceptions over the years but it has not been consistent. Hopefully the theme park division will get on the ball and correct the situation.