Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Korkis Korner: Walt Disney, P.L. Travers and the Battle Over Mary Poppins: Part Two

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Korkis Korner: Walt Disney, P.L. Travers and the Battle Over Mary Poppins: Part Two

Walt Disney, P.L. Travers and the Battle Over Mary Poppins: Part Two by Jim Korkis

Jim once again opens the pages of Disney lore for the film's 50th birthday.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks Jim, these were good reads and I never realised what an absolute horror Travers was. Thank goodness Walt and company did what they did otherwise Mary Poppins probably would not have been so successful.

"Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

P.L. Travers as a person

Quote Originally Posted by DwarfPlanet View Post
    Thanks Jim, these were good reads and I never realised what an absolute horror Travers was. Thank goodness Walt and company did what they did otherwise Mary Poppins probably would not have been so successful.
    Yes, P.L. Travers could be a bully but just this last week I talked with Brian Sibley who not only enjoyed the columns but my sending some folks over to his sites to read his experiences with Travers.

We both agreed that some of P.L. Travers behavior was because she was very vain (so felt she should be the primary source of attention....in truth, most reporters had never heard of her until the film came out and was a hit and it annoyed her to be asked about the films and not her books). Mary Poppins was vain as well...check out how many times the character checks herself out in mirrors in the film, something taken directly from the book.

Travers was also flirtatious...one of the things I left out was her suggestion that Walt had "an interest" in her. Walt never had an "interest" in any other woman other than his wife and perhaps his lack of romantic responsiveness had something to do with it as well since it didn't validate her as attractive. Walt could be entirely charming and attentive to women but he never even got close to crossing any lines.

Travers was also scared....she was in an area she was completely unfamiliar with...and was fearful that Disney was like a shark gobbling up a minnow. She was also scared that she would lose her "credibility" in her intellectual community by working on such a "common" thing.

Sibley told me if he had been able to tell actress Emma Thompson one thing, it would be that Travers was not as prissy and fussy as most people saw her.

My feeling is that the struggle between Walt and Travers resulted in it being such an outstanding film. Other reviewers (including my friend Leonard Maltin) have pointed out that other films were made by the same Disney team (minus Travers) but never had the same impact.

Again, a fascinating story and I am looking forward to "Saving Mr. Banks" and to the Blu-Ray being released in December with new extras, although I have been pretty disappointed by some of the recent "extras" on Disney Blu-Rays.

Good story. I never knew. It is nice to hear of happy endings even if it wasn't happy for her. The Pooh story, I suppose, is worse.

Emma Thompson played a nanny herself as "Nanny McPhee".