Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: That's My Opinion: Park Peeves 2013

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

That's My Opinion: Park Peeves 2013

Park Peeves 2013 by Steve Russo

Will he ever stop whining? Apparently not.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Sorry to disagree. In two examples, you found a spot at the very last moment (The Infiltrator, The Blanche DuBois). The people who tried to get into your spot was also in position to do so. It doesn't make sense to complain about another guest doing what you've just done, which is find a spot at the last moment because it inconvenienced you.

I find the Anti-bussing comment amusing. It falls into the so what category. Not everyone will clean up. You say it is the minority. I wonder why you need to add that. It is usually the dirty tables that you notice and it happens when you most want to sit down and have lunch. To me, it doesn't matter whether the previous guest bussed his own tables, the tables are still dirty when not wiped over by an attendant. Thus, it is better that there are more attendants who will clean up after the guest.

Kids in the hot tub bothers you? So what if their parents are around, they are still in the hot tub. I prefer to use the hot tub when it is largely empty and you're the only one in there.

As always, love these articles! I don't agree at all with the comments from the previous poster, but isn't that what the purpose of the discussion boards are? . The flasher definitely goes into the Hall of Fame. Not only is it clearly labeled on every sign about 5 feet from each other that flash photography is not allowed, it is also usually spoken by voice, either in part of the script or by a cast member, not to mention the 15 or so times the cast member has to say it over the PA during the ride, which kills the spirit of the ride as well.

Great job!

"Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time. And for a brief moment, we have been among its many passengers."

Good coping method for dealing with the little annoyances at the World: Grin and bear it with the minor satisfaction that you're going to be adding another member to your hall-of-fame!

Re: the hot tub. My daughter loves the hot tub for the same reason grown ups do. She will even sit there with them and complain about her sore muscles. I swear she is a reincarnated 80 year old woman with gout or something. She even told me on our last trip that she had a back problem and could really use a soak in the tub. She's 8. So, yeah, I take her to the hot tub, but she doesn't get to ruin everyone else's time, too.

I'm not a big fan of waiting for parades or fireworks, so I just skip 'em. I try to get on a ride so I can watch them from the ride. That part is fun.

As for the bussing the table thing - yeah, I find that annoying, too. Especially when it is crowded. Because then you have to bus the table if you want to sit there or the wind comes up or birds and soon it's a big mess.

I once accidentally took a flash photo in a ride. New camera and I forgot the default setting was "with flash." I had turned the flash off at the beginning of the ride, but it had timed out and went back to default status. oops.

This and all of my posts are in the public domain. I am a lawyer. I am not your lawyer, and this is not legal advice.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo996 View Post
    Sorry to disagree. In two examples, you found a spot at the very last moment (The Infiltrator, The Blanche DuBois). The people who tried to get into your spot was also in position to do so. It doesn't make sense to complain about another guest doing what you've just done, which is find a spot at the last moment because it inconvenienced you.
    Nope... I found the spot at 8:40 - not exactly "last minute". I was tapped at 8:58 which, in my opinion, is last minute.
    Last edited by stan4d_steph; 05-30-2013 at 06:10 AM. Reason: fixed tags
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by srusso100 View Post
    Nope... I found the spot at 8:40 - not exactly "last minute". I was tapped at 8:58 which, in my opinion, is last minute.
    I said "last moment." It is better to hold your ground than let someone take your spot. Just say "I can't move." and DON'T MOVE. Or pretend to not pay attention. You can wave over a CM and point out the stroller is outside the boundaries. Other than not listening, a confrontation isn't worth it.

Jimbo996: When is your next Disney trip? I'd like to make sure ours don't overlap.

"The people who tried to get into your spot was also in position to do so". That statement is incorrect because, while nearing show time, Steve had already found an open spot. The people in his post tried to take that spot and thus were not in a 'position to do so'.

The Anti-bussing is just rude. I agree the table isn't clean until it's wiped down but that's no excuse for being a pig. While the end-result may be that a cast member has to clean (and thus wipe) the table up, it still speaks to the sense of entitlement and thoughtlessness that is the basis for recurring articles of Pet Peeves.

Steve: Thanks for another good article, I love your writing style. Like a previous poster, I allow my kids in the hot tub but only when I'm with them and in the understanding that if they disturb anyone else (even talking loudly) I will take them out.

Each family has paid for their vacation and therefore deserves to relax, but how can one relax at the cost of someone else? I'm continually astounded at the lack of consideration shown to others and because Disney is a premium experience the sense of entitlement seems to be at a premium as well.

That said, I'll still go and have fun and I'm sure someone will take advantage of our considerations but my 'grin and bear it' technique is to tell myself that this may be their one-and-only Disney trip and I'll be back next year and the year after that

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo996 View Post
    I said "last moment." It is better to hold your ground than let someone take your spot. Just say "I can't move." and DON'T MOVE. Or pretend to not pay attention. You can wave over a CM and point out the stroller is outside the boundaries. Other than not listening, a confrontation isn't worth it.
    I stand corrected but I still don't consider 8:40 to be "last moment".

A minor faux pas such as this would never warrant a confrontation. I can't ignore the person and try to accomodate when possible but I do think they are imposing when they attempt to squeeze in at the "last moment".
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by marclichon View Post
    Jimbo996: When is your next Disney trip? I'd like to make sure ours don't overlap.
    With tens of thousands in attendance, you don't have to wonder.

"The people who tried to get into your spot was also in position to do so". That statement is incorrect because, while nearing show time, Steve had already found an open spot. The people in his post tried to take that spot and thus were not in a 'position to do so'.

The Anti-bussing is just rude. I agree the table isn't clean until it's wiped down but that's no excuse for being a pig. While the end-result may be that a cast member has to clean (and thus wipe) the table up, it still speaks to the sense of entitlement and thoughtlessness that is the basis for recurring articles of Pet Peeves.
    The problem with taking someone's story at face value is it is only one story. Who knows if the people next to him was inconvenienced. As for taking of spots, that's what people do on a sidewalk. If people can take your spot, you're letting them.

At a dining facility, messes occur. While people can bus their tables, there are varying degrees of responsibility. I don't often look at not bussing your own table as an entitlement. That's taking it further than necessary. Usually a pet peeve is your own problem and annoyance. By definition, that's what a pet peeve is.

Blog Entries
    I received an interesting email reply on the anti-busing issue. A reader described her boyfriend as a "sever germaphobe" and he contends "The worker sees no reason to wipe down a table if people bus their own table and therefore you could be sitting down to a table that has the germs of countless families that sat there before you. However, if you don't bus the table, that forces the employee to do their job and clean the table."

I don't necessarily buy into this theory but it does represent a different opinion.
    Steve

Blog Entries

AH! the people that show up late and expect you to accomdate their view. HMPH! I have no patience for this. My friend and I showed up 30 minutes prior to Fantasmic at Disneyland (the second show, after fireworks) and found a place in a corner, up against one of the little green fences, near the petrified tree. We stood next to each other, in our little space, seeming to be out of everyone's way. For the next 30 minutes, people piled up behind us, laying out blankets, rolling in strollers, sitting, standing, etc. About six people deep! The show is about to start, we have a two foot area to stand on pavment (so as not to trample the plants next to us) and the guy behind me asked me to move over so he could see. Seriously? There was NO place to move! Left, right, backwards . . . I'd step on somebody! I looked at this man, who hadn't been there more than 10 minutes, maybe, and gave him the look of "WHERE?" He figured it out that there was another railing to our right and that we couldn't lean over any more without falling into the Rivers of America and said "nevermind". Yeah. Nevermind. I go to these things early so I get a good spot. I try never to save spots because I hate when I seem to have a good view then a family of five crowds in next to the person "holding" their spot and crowd me out. I make my entire family SIT or STAND and save their own place. Harsh, maybe, but only fair to those around me. Certainly don't come up to me, after I've been there LONG before you and ask me to move. I'll let a little one sneek infront of me - no problem. But if the parents expect to crowd in too . . . sorry!

Really . . . I AM a nice person. I just don't like rude people.

And Premature Evacuators . . . that just cracked me up. The name is great. The problem is real. Totally with you on that one.

WDW June 1990-Buena Vista Palace, DL Aug 2001-Pasadena House, DL June 2006-Paradise Pier, DL June 2007-Paradise Pier, WDW Dec 2008-Royal Plaza, DL Nov 2011-Best Western Courtesy Inn, DL July 2012-Best Western Plus Stovall's Inn, DL May 2013-Holiday Inn on Walnut, PENDING DL Aug 2013 D23 Expo-Best Western Raffels

I have a theory that srusso100 and Jimbo996 are the same person. Nice try Steve! Trying to create some forum traffic with a little fake controversial banter...

Like a previous poster, I allow my kids in the hot tub but only when I'm with them and in the understanding that if they disturb anyone else (even talking loudly) I will take them out.

Each family has paid for their vacation and therefore deserves to relax, but how can one relax at the cost of someone else?
    This!! I have kids too, and they understand that the hot tub is for playing only if they are the only ones in there. Empathy is so important! "How would you feel if someone did that to you?" Empathy could actually cure all of these pet-peeve offenders except the truly unaware. :-)

Thanks as always for a most interesting article. Just to muddy the waters of the anti-busing peeve - I recently dined at Rancho del Zocalo in Disneyland, and was carrying my tray to the trash can at the end of my meal. I was then told rather rudely from a male CM that I needed to leave my stuff on the table, and they'd take care of it. I'd like to think that this was just a poorly trained CM, but it was an odd exchange.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

I have a couple of other peeves to add.

In the vein of the hot tub kids is the workout room kids. Yes, I know Disney is a workout, but i still like to catch a workout and get a good sweat going. I can't do this if a 11 year old is fooling around on the elliptical. First off, this stuff can be dangerous if not used correctly. Second, this is how I relax (even at Disney I still haves habits). You may think your kid can't get into trouble, but trust me they can and it annoys me. If you want to bring your 12 year old to the gym and teach them how to safely and appropriately use equipment, then fine, but don't ruin the 30 minutes I have during my sons nap.

Second, I have a big peeve... The narrators. By this I mean the people who know every word to every ride, announcement and show, and feel the need to say it in time with the show (or worse before). I want the ghost host to tell me this room has no doors or windows, not the girl next to me. You may think its fun and witty, I think it's annoying and ruins the show for others. Doesn't matter where they are, they feel the need to say "on your left you will see bay lake" 5 seconds before the monorail recording, to watch your step as I exit the ride vehicle, whatever. Just let the show happen.

As an extension to the narrator, how about those who feel the need to add their voice to whatever's going on, informing their children in a voice loud enough to be heard by many. This would include both the parent talking a child through an unfamiliar attraction ("Oh honey, look at the trees! Oh look, there's a monkey!", etc.), and as happened to me, the dad who feels the need to embellish the story being told in The American Adventure ("Son, Frederick Douglas lived in a time of slavery", "Teddy Roseveldt was a president", etc.). SHUT UP AND LET THE ATTRACTION DO THE TALKING!!!

- James Taylor

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kermie View Post
    I have a theory that srusso100 and Jimbo996 are the same person. Nice try Steve! Trying to create some forum traffic with a little fake controversial banter...
    Well... have you ever seen us in the same room?
    Steve

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mkelm44 View Post
    I have a couple of other peeves to add.

In the vein of the hot tub kids is the workout room kids. Yes, I know Disney is a workout, but i still like to catch a workout and get a good sweat going. I can't do this if a 11 year old is fooling around on the elliptical. First off, this stuff can be dangerous if not used correctly. Second, this is how I relax (even at Disney I still haves habits). You may think your kid can't get into trouble, but trust me they can and it annoys me. If you want to bring your 12 year old to the gym and teach them how to safely and appropriately use equipment, then fine, but don't ruin the 30 minutes I have during my sons nap.

Second, I have a big peeve... The narrators. By this I mean the people who know every word to every ride, announcement and show, and feel the need to say it in time with the show (or worse before). I want the ghost host to tell me this room has no doors or windows, not the girl next to me. You may think its fun and witty, I think it's annoying and ruins the show for others. Doesn't matter where they are, they feel the need to say "on your left you will see bay lake" 5 seconds before the monorail recording, to watch your step as I exit the ride vehicle, whatever. Just let the show happen.
    I actually covered the Narrator (Script Showoff in the article) in Park Peeves 2010.
    Steve

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    As an extension to the narrator, how about those who feel the need to add their voice to whatever's going on, informing their children in a voice loud enough to be heard by many. This would include both the parent talking a child through an unfamiliar attraction ("Oh honey, look at the trees! Oh look, there's a monkey!", etc.), and as happened to me, the dad who feels the need to embellish the story being told in The American Adventure ("Son, Frederick Douglas lived in a time of slavery", "Teddy Roseveldt was a president", etc.). SHUT UP AND LET THE ATTRACTION DO THE TALKING!!!
    A new one! The Commentator! I endured this once at a Cirque du Soleil show.
    Steve

I have had the good fortune to visit WDW many times and Disneyland once. I choose to keep with me the message I hear and see about love, peace, and working together in spite of and because of our differences.
    Of course I've been momentarily frustrated by someone mistakenly or willfully behaving in a way that will get them enshrined over on the "Stupid Guest Tricks" website. And then I remember how many times I was in a hurry and bent the rules a bit, or how many times I was new and didn't know what to do first or next, how many times I meant well but was still confused, how many times I was grateful for people who assumed the best in me and offered to assist somehow.
    And that's why, whether or not Mr. Russo meant this series of columns in a humorous way, I find them at least distasteful and at worst the antithesis of all a Disney Park represents. Never mind the fact that in any situation where people congregate there will always be those few who do something wrong, intentionally or otherwise.
    It just seems mean-spirited to me to mock them instead of help them...to label them instead of make an attempt to improve my own patience or tone down my sense of entitlement. No business will last very long if it chooses to cater only to people exactly like me. And therein lies the beauty of a trip to WDW for me, anyway. I am reminded we all should be grateful for this opportunity. When I can afford a trip to WDW I already have a lot for which to be thankful. Were I in a position to visit repeatedly, I would hope I would spend less time complaining and invest more time being helpful to the casual guest.
    It's a choice. That darn family holding up my progress just to get a picture in front of the Castle? Or the gratification I get from offering to take same picture so everyone in the family can be in it?
    Responding to the late arriver with, "I'm so sorry, there's just no more room to squeeze you folks in front of us," or enshrining their faux pas in a web blog?
    To live my life deliberately, that's a choice I try to make every day in so many ways.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey the Bear View Post
    I have had the good fortune to visit WDW many times and Disneyland once. I choose to keep with me the message I hear and see about love, peace, and working together in spite of and because of our differences.
    Of course I've been momentarily frustrated by someone mistakenly or willfully behaving in a way that will get them enshrined over on the "Stupid Guest Tricks" website. And then I remember how many times I was in a hurry and bent the rules a bit, or how many times I was new and didn't know what to do first or next, how many times I meant well but was still confused, how many times I was grateful for people who assumed the best in me and offered to assist somehow.
    And that's why, whether or not Mr. Russo meant this series of columns in a humorous way, I find them at least distasteful and at worst the antithesis of all a Disney Park represents. Never mind the fact that in any situation where people congregate there will always be those few who do something wrong, intentionally or otherwise.
    It just seems mean-spirited to me to mock them instead of help them...to label them instead of make an attempt to improve my own patience or tone down my sense of entitlement. No business will last very long if it chooses to cater only to people exactly like me. And therein lies the beauty of a trip to WDW for me, anyway. I am reminded we all should be grateful for this opportunity. When I can afford a trip to WDW I already have a lot for which to be thankful. Were I in a position to visit repeatedly, I would hope I would spend less time complaining and invest more time being helpful to the casual guest.
    It's a choice. That darn family holding up my progress just to get a picture in front of the Castle? Or the gratification I get from offering to take same picture so everyone in the family can be in it?
    Responding to the late arriver with, "I'm so sorry, there's just no more room to squeeze you folks in front of us," or enshrining their faux pas in a web blog?
    To live my life deliberately, that's a choice I try to make every day in so many ways.
    Humphrey,

Thank you for that well-written response. I accept the criticism and only hope that, to most, my rants come off as good-natured ribbing - they're defionitely not intended to be mean spirited although I guess I can understand if someone takes them that way.

In earlier Park Peeves columns, I do state that these "infractions" are typical of those who are simply overwhelmed by all that Disney has to offer. Admittedly, there are a few of the intentional variety but I like to think those are in the minority.

If anyone was offended by my attempts at humor, I apologize. I'll try to better convey the tongue-in-cheek attitude in future attempts.
    Steve

Dear Steve,
    I am not offended. You are a good columnist, and that is hard to come by on the internet. In my humble opinion, you are so good as to be effectively a trend-setter. Many people read your columns. (This is a great website with high standards.) And since I believe your influence extends beyond a typical Disney blog, I would hope you would make more conscious choices about using your 'bully pulpit' to be, well, less of a bully. Case in point--see what kind of reactions your column generated? Most were chiming in to add negative stories and name-calling to your original post, or to engage you in that tit for tat niggling one often finds in the comments section of so many websites. No one spoke of the sheer joy of experiencing Disney as part of humanity...remember how we feel when at the end of the holiday IllumiNations we hear "Let there be peace on earth, and let it begin with me"? Remember the EPCOT parade theme, "Celebrate the future, hand in hand"? I take that stuff to heart. Otherwise, I'm just going to an amusement park. I chuckle as I recall Mark Twain's line, "I love humanity; it's people I can't stand." I, too, feel that way from time to time. I once got caught in that lovely walkway over by the Rivers of America during a parade with a double stroller in front of and behind me and nowhere to go. My own fault. No need to create epithets for two other families enjoying their vacations at "The happiest place on Earth." I catch myself starting a rant and try to remind myself there is only one person's behavior I can ever hope to change. Mine.
    I wish you well and look forward to reading your next column.
    sincerely,
    Humphrey ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by srusso100 View Post
    A new one! The Commentator!
    Always glad to add to the list! And I guess I'm no as forgiving s Humphrey the Bear. I go to the parks to enjoy myself, and don't go out of my way to find fault in others. But some folks are just so clueless that they become noticeable, and as such deserve commentary such as what you provide.
    - James Taylor

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar

I enjoyed this article like I do the rest of them; they make me laugh as they are intended to do!

Pam
    DL trips: too many to remember actual dates, but they began in the 60s!
    WDW trips: 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1996, 1999, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2021