Team MousePlanet: Packing for a runDisney Destination Event

Packing for a runDisney Destination Event by Lani Teshima

Lani and Stephanie Discuss Their Own Goofy Travel Challenge

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Team MousePlanet: Packing for a runDisney Destination Event

Love the article! I often do carry-on only and my biggest challenge is usually the liquids. Hadn't thought about relying on the expo to buy them (I use Gu, so that wouldn't be an issue) but would be paranoid that they would have run out. Or after hearing the horrors of the Princess Expo, that my anxiety in crowds would kick in and I'd expend a ton of energy finding and buying them.

ETA: One thing on the liquids that I've started doing is having my 'medical' liquids separate from my other liquids. Since I have braces and contacts, my wetting solution, mouthwash and fluoride rinse are all 'medically necessary', so I have extra room in my quart bag. This doesn't necessarily work for international flights, though.

Cathy

Contributing Writer
    MousePad Moderator
    Blog Entries

Very good tips especially for a single event. The Dumbo Double Dare and Dopey Challenge might put these tips to the test though. Just the event t-shirts will crowd a small carryon; can't imagine the damage after going through the runDisney expo booth!

RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Very good tips especially for a single event. The Dumbo Double Dare and Dopey Challenge might put these tips to the test though. Just the event t-shirts will crowd a small carryon; can't imagine the damage after going through the runDisney expo booth!
    I was thinking about the Dopey Challenge--participants will wind up with SIX shirts (a cotton T for the 5K, then long-sleeve tech shirts for the 10K, half-marathon, full marathon, Goofy, and Dopey). The tech shirts take up less room than cotton T-shirts, but these will also be long-sleeved, which take up more space in your bag.

There's a couple of options for things like the Dumbo Double Dare and Dopey Challenge, but as with other methods of packing light, it requires some mindfulness and planning:

- Incorporate the anticipated shirts into your trip wardrobe. This means taking fewer shirts to start, so your bag may only be partly full.
    - Take the souvenirs you get on the trip (participant shirts and any swag you buy at the expo) and pack them into your "personal item." Airlines define those as ladies' purses, "laptops or cameras" (amusingly, not necessarily "laptop cases" or "camera bags"). In my experience, the airlines don't hassle you about your "purse" if it's the size of a school backpack... that means you can carry a tote bag (which can pass for a ladies' purse) with all your new shirts.
    - Take a packable duffel bag with you, packed into your main carry-on. This can be check-in size, and you can stuff these with all your newly acquired items, then check it in for your flight home. I'm not completely opposed to checking in luggage, especially if it's for your flight home--you won't be up the creek if the airlines misroute your bag and it shows up three days later if you're already home. If you can't bear the thought of parting with your event shirts, you can pack *those* in your carry-on, and pack your other stuff in the check-in.
    - Mail stuff home. Take a pre-stamped Tyvek Priority Mail envelope in your carry-on. You should be able to fit most (if not all) of your event shirts in one. Mail it home, and voila--no worries.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.