Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Running News & Views

Contributing Writer RunningFool's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timl33 View Post
    I just sent in my charity application on Monday.
    Are you in for sure?
    RunningFool

Next non-Disney short distance event: Good question...
    Next non-Disney Half: TBD
    Next runDisney event: W&D Two Course Challenge & 5k

2. # ADS

Force is strong in this one
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningFool View Post
    Are you in for sure?
    Nope, not at all. They still have to accept me (or reject me). Hopefully I'll find out sooner rather than later.
    In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timl33 View Post
    Nope, not at all. They still have to accept me (or reject me). Hopefully I'll find out sooner rather than later.
    Fingers crossed for you! Keep us posted.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

Ok. There is 'in the zone' with headphones and then there is the story of a Canadian half-marathoner who missed a turn in the race, didn't realize she had passed 13.1 until mile 20 (in the zone...), ran the full marathon instead, and won. You can see the full story here.

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Looks like those hoping to make it to Boston in 2014 needed to be 1.38 minutes under their BQ in order to get in. More details here.

RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Looks like those hoping to make it to Boston in 2014 needed to be 1.38 minutes under their BQ in order to get in.
    Well, that's not that horrible, I guess. It could've been much stricter. I'd hate to have missed it by mere seconds, though.
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

Ok. There is 'in the zone' with headphones and then there is the story of a Canadian half-marathoner who missed a turn in the race, didn't realize she had passed 13.1 until mile 20 (in the zone...), ran the full marathon instead, and won. You can see the full story here.
    CodeTeen did something similar at a local race here. He meant to run the 5k. He was 16 so hadn't trained and was wearing crummy shoes. He lined up and started the ten mile race by mistake. When he got it mile one, he realize his error, but heard the start of the 5k and decided to just continue. He ran with a track coach from a different high school who new the course and coached him through the race. They finished in 79 minutes! He was Very Sore the next day. He's only done fun runs since. Imagine what he could do if he trained?
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries

In case you missed the news, Wilson Kipsang set a new marathon world record on Sunday at the Berlin Marathon: 2:03:23. Wow...

RunningFool

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Touring plans tweeted that the NewBalance running trail sign maps are going up around WDW this week!

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Blog Entries

Ok, this is great...

Indiana dog that crashed half-marathon gets medal

October 08, 2013 5:44 PM EST
    EVANSVILLE, Ind. (AP) — An Indiana dog who became an Internet sensation after crashing a half marathon has won a medal — and an appointment with a veterinarian to nip his wandering ways in the bud.

The chocolate Labrador retriever named Boogie ran most of the 13.1 miles in Saturday's Evansville event and then was taken to Animal Control.

Owner Jerry Butts tells the Evansville Courier & Press (http://bit.ly/17dIIR1 ) that the 100-pound dog slipped his leash Friday night. It was his fourth escape.

Butts says Boogie now has a microchip and an appointment to be neutered.

Boogie finished the race in 2 hours, 15 minutes. That's better than more than half of the race's participants.

Last edited by RunningFool; 10-10-2013 at 09:38 AM.
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

Awesome story about the Chicago Marathon's final finisher.

RunningFool

Awesome story about the Chicago Marathon's final finisher.
    Now that's an endurance athlete!
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries

Cool Running News

I saw that! Of course that tugs on my heart strings, as we run for muscular dystrophy. This could be my son one day. I would love to hug this man.

Blog Entries

As if running a marathon wasn't challenge enough, there are now those who knit while running. Seriously.

RunningFool

Blog Entries

I wouldn't say this article is 'cool' running news but I think it is an interesting read on the current state of marathon charities.

RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't say this article is 'cool' running news but I think it is an interesting read on the current state of marathon charities.
    This is the crux of the problem, and this person hits it on the head:

“It’s very hard, I believe, to do that year after year,” he said. “You’re coming back to your same pool of friends. There’s a lot of excitement the first time you say, Will you come and contribute to me for my charity? The second and third year, I think it gets harder to do that. It’s a commitment, a real responsibility you take on to the charity.”
    MousePlanet Staff Copy Editor. Keep calm and carry on! Learn how you can travel with just your carry-ons, at my Travelite FAQ! Go Team MousePlanet! My dream came true! I qualified for the 2016 Boston Marathon. Required finish time: 4:00. My BQ time: 3:54:48! All-time marathons completed: 11; halfs: 45.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    This is the crux of the problem, and this person hits it on the head:
    The problem I'm running into is that I have quite a number of friends who are connected with running charities who also run multiple races a year. I have charities that I give to on my own, so there's only so much left over to give to other charities. Having to decide which friend to contribute to for which race can be difficult because there will be other friends that I can't contribute to, and when the friend I contributed to runs their next race, I feel bad that I can't contribute to that one.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Blog Entries

Cool Running News

It so true. Going to the same pool of family and friends makes it hard. My runners have been getting very creative with their fundraising strategies. It's tough.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    The problem I'm running into is that I have quite a number of friends who are connected with running charities who also run multiple races a year. I have charities that I give to on my own, so there's only so much left over to give to other charities. Having to decide which friend to contribute to for which race can be difficult because there will be other friends that I can't contribute to, and when the friend I contributed to runs their next race, I feel bad that I can't contribute to that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    It so true. Going to the same pool of family and friends makes it hard. My runners have been getting very creative with their fundraising strategies. It's tough.
    As a fundraiser, I feel bad asking the same people over and over again. It's a challenge to come up with a good fundraising strategy. So far, I've enjoyed the challenge but it's made me a bit opinionated now (see below.)

As a contributor, it's made fundraising harder because I'm less likely to donate to my friends' causes because I'm working for my own. But as a contributor, I've also become more particular. I know a LOT of people fundraising. I see some people that have more challenges than others (some seem to have a bigger network than others, it seems to come easier for some than others, some families have to raise money for multiple family members, etc etc.) And I see some that seem to work harder than others, too. So these observations influence where any money I have left goes.

I have found a new fun thing - for me - is to help people fundraise. Last summer I helped someone make candy to sell for her fundraiser. Last night, I helped someone brain storm ideas for her fundraiser. But it's definitely a challenge.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries

Now this is what I call a dedicated legacy runner! He's finished every NYC marathon (with the exception of 2012 when the event was canceled) since 1976. Wow...

RunningFool

Blog Entries

Well, gotta admit this must be an interesting way to run NYC. Five Boroughs - five beers.

RunningFool

Blog Entries

All I can say is awesome. Totaly awesome story re: the Boston Marathon finish line post-Boston World Series win.

RunningFool

Team MousePlanet
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

We need to think twice before using someone else's bib.

10K winner was disqualified. bandit bib. MCM10K Hosts Record 7,577 Finishers; Lead Runner DQed

The MCM10K announced the first place 10K finisher has been disqualified for running with an illegal entry. After crossing the finish line and breaking the tape, the unidentified runner from France admitted he was participating while wearing a friend's bib and had not officially registered to run the event. After disqualifying the top finisher, the MCM recognized as the top finisher Stephn Gedron of Lowell, MA, who finished in 33:19. The first woman to win consecutive MCM10K events was returning 2012 top finisher Susanna Sullivan of Falls Church, VA, who crossed the finish in 35:53.

Blog Entries
    Interesting article on the cost per mile of running everything from a 5k to a marathon. While the races featured are in the DC area, I think we can easily calculate the CPM for runDisney races...
    RunningFool

Blog Entries

If you are looking for something different to do May 4th, check out the Red Bull Wings for Life Run.

Here's a description of the event:

An innovative new running race concept organized by energy drink maker Red Bull is expected to have more than 100,000 runners running simultaneously in at least 35 countries on six continents next May 4, all in the name of spinal cord injury research. Among those race sites, four will be in the U.S., including Atlantic City, N.J., Denver, Colo., and yet-to-be-announced cities in Florida and California.

Here’s how it works: 30 minutes after the start signal sounds and the runners leave the start line, an official “catcher car” will simultaneously set off at each course in pursuit of the runners. This pace will accelerate at determined intervals to a rigid global schedule. When the catcher car passes a runner, that runner’s race is over and it’s time to catch the shuttle back to start area for the post-race party.

As the race progresses, the catcher cars will accelerate, eliminating competitors as they pass them, until there’s a single man and woman left running in each race venue around the world. Those runners will be crowned the Global Champions of the Wings for Life World Run; location champions and country champions will also be named.

RunningFool