Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Crowd level questions

Quote Originally Posted by mrsdisney68 View Post
    Wow kind of crazy! !!I'm sure there would be a high demand to stay open till midnight!
    Well for what it's worth, DCA's latest operating hour has traditionally been 10pm, so I never expected a jump to midnight. BUT, from Carsland opening June 15, 2012 through the first week of January 2013, DCA remained open until 11pm most nights so I was anticipating a return to 11pm for the summer.
    Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

2. # ADS

"...I think I can, I think..." itig's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwayManiac View Post
    Calendar is up for the next six weeks.

I didn't take it as a good sign they're not even scheduling extended DCA hours for 4th of July.

here it is
    We just got back from our week long DL trip and I wish DCA would have been open later. Midnight might be too much, but 11pm would be nice to help split the crowds between the parks and allow more people to ride RSR and other rides. 10pm just felt a bit early given the summer heat and crowds.

Quote Originally Posted by itig View Post
    We just got back from our week long DL trip and I wish DCA would have been open later. Midnight might be too much, but 11pm would be nice to help split the crowds between the parks and allow more people to ride RSR and other rides. 10pm just felt a bit early given the summer heat and crowds.
    Yep. Agreed. Another way of looking at it ... compared to a year ago:

-same exact park essentially
    -higher ticket prices
    -less service (i.e. operating hours)
    Your attention, please. The Disneyland Limited now leaving for a grand circle tour of the Magic Kingdom. Aboaaard!

Is Father's Day traditionally a busy day at the parks? Sunday will be our first day of a four day visit, so having time to squeeze everything in that day is not a concern. Just wanting to know what to expect crowd-wise.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LacyBelle View Post
    Is Father's Day traditionally a busy day at the parks? Sunday will be our first day of a four day visit, so having time to squeeze everything in that day is not a concern. Just wanting to know what to expect crowd-wise.
    Thanks.
    It seems to be a typical Sunday in summer.

Are Socal AP's blocked? It means they expect higher crowds, but it seems busier when Socal APs are valid on Sundays.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Are Socal AP's blocked? It means they expect higher crowds, but it seems busier when Socal APs are valid on Sundays.
    I believe all APs are valid this Sunday, which is why we're choosing to go tomorrow (Saturday).

This Sunday SoCal's are valid, but SoCal Selects are blocked.

click me

Hi all

I'm torn between Aug 24-27 and Sept 12-15. Will be taking my granddaughters (4 & 8) & I'd like HMH to be open & Halloween decorations up but don't need the Halloween party. I'm unsure if the "official" kickoff weekend is worse crowd wise than just going the end of August hoping that school is back in for some. I'm also assuming HM may be closed at least one day if not more and missing Halloween decor if we go in August. I've been during Halloween time but not the first weekend.

Any help is appreciated!

Halloween time begins in the middle of September anymore. They don't close any of the rides for overlay until after Labor Day.

Just to clarify, there won't be any Halloween dcor up in August.

Thanks candles but based on the py DL Resort report the HM closed 8/27-9/13 with the 1st day of Halloween time 9/14/12. IF we follow that schedule it looks like HM would close 8/26-9/12 with the 1st day of Halloween time 9/13/13.

I'm really wondering how the crowds are the 1st few days of Halloween Time before I make a decision. I already have reservations at PPH for the August dates but may move it to Sept.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixiedust58 View Post
    Thanks candles but based on the py DL Resort report the HM closed 8/27-9/13 with the 1st day of Halloween time 9/14/12. IF we follow that schedule it looks like HM would close 8/26-9/12 with the 1st day of Halloween time 9/13/13.

I'm really wondering how the crowds are the 1st few days of Halloween Time before I make a decision. I already have reservations at PPH for the August dates but may move it to Sept.
    We went a few years ago on the Friday that Halloween kicked off. The morning was light with media outside the mansion. We rode the mansion in the morning and got FP for later, before enforcement though. The afternoon was BUSY as locals got out of school and off work. It was still less busy than a busy summer day though. And it wasn't as hot.

Quote Originally Posted by bumblebeeonarose View Post
    We went a few years ago on the Friday that Halloween kicked off. The morning was light with media outside the mansion. We rode the mansion in the morning and got FP for later, before enforcement though. The afternoon was BUSY as locals got out of school and off work. It was still less busy than a busy summer day though. And it wasn't as hot.
    There's a villains/Friday the 13th limited time magi event on the 13th this year too.

Ooooooh, the villains on Friday the 13th would be perfect if it was an adult group. When I took the 8 y/o a few years back she had a MAJOR meltdown when the witch placed her autograph book on her head (I should have known better). Not sure how well they would do with villains. Maybe I take the little ones in August and go back with adults for 9/13 ;-) An early birthday trip for me......

Hi all

I'm torn between Aug 24-27 and Sept 12-15. Will be taking my granddaughters (4 & 8) & I'd like HMH to be open & Halloween decorations up but don't need the Halloween party. I'm unsure if the "official" kickoff weekend is worse crowd wise than just going the end of August hoping that school is back in for some. I'm also assuming HM may be closed at least one day if not more and missing Halloween decor if we go in August. I've been during Halloween time but not the first weekend.

Any help is appreciated!
    We've gone during that August week for several years. If you are mindful of when HM closes for it's overlay, you can make sure to enjoy it before that date. It will be the regular version, so you won't see HMH. According to this page, HM will close on August 26 this year for the overlay work.
    http://media.disneywebcontent.com/St...rbishments.pdf

That week in August has always been great for us...lower crowds and still all of the summer entertainment and extended hours.

Hi all

Any help is appreciated!
    My 2 cents is this: after two straight months of being blocked out, August 19 is the first day SoCal and SoCal selects AP's get to re-enter the parks. This will lead to a couple weeks of large crowds until Labor Day if memory serves.
    That said, your first day (Aug 24) is a Saturday and both those AP's are in fact blocked for the day, then one of the two is blocked Sunday the 25th, and they both go back to being valid the 26th and 27th.

Thank you all for the insightful input. I've decided to stay with my original August dates. We will be sure to do HM the 1st day if the girls nerves are up to it. I did check the block out schedule but will just roll the dice on this one. Worse case we will spend a little more time at the pool.

I will pass on the 9/13 dates but may still sneak an early October trip in closer to my birthday. Amazing how crowded it's been the last few years in October. I'll take a crowded day at DL any day over just about anywhere else tho ;-)

Do you guys tend to find Touringplans.com accurate in its predictions?

Reason I ask- I'm planning a trip for the week prior to Labor Day (Aug 26-30), as a few have mentioned earlier in this thread.

Touringplans.com has historical crowd data going back to 2006- and when I exmaine it, there is a marked dropoff that week from the rest of the summer- i.e. the week prior to Labor Day is almost always 3's-4's (out of 10), and sometimes even 1-2.

But when I look at predicted crowd levels for this year- touringplans.com has that week all 7's-8's, the same as the prior two weeks. Is there some reason that the usual dropoff prior to Labor Day wouldn't occur this year? If not, I can't see why they would predict such high crowds, as the data show its happened every year going back to 2006, at least to some degree. And we can't explain this by Cars Land opening- it opened June 2012, and yet there was still a marked dropoff last year, in that week prior to Labor Day. Is there something I'm missing here- or is there something going on in 2013 that wasn't happening in 2006-2012 that would be driving this prediction?

Since Carsland opened last June, the normal crowd patterns have totally gone out the window. Times when they previously redicted low numbers are seeing much higher numbers, and there were some July days that were reported as being relatively quiet for those time periods. Also, I believe SoCal passes become unblocked during that time frame which has really pushed the crowd levels up from previous time periods.

Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Since Carsland opened last June, the normal crowd patterns have totally gone out the window. Times when they previously redicted low numbers are seeing much higher numbers, and there were some July days that were reported as being relatively quiet for those time periods. Also, I believe SoCal passes become unblocked during that time frame which has really pushed the crowd levels up from previous time periods.
    But if its due to Carsland, how do you explain that last year the same pattern held- i.e. Historical Crowds were 7-9 all of August, and the week prior to Labor Day, were 2's and 3's last year?

And you are correct, SoCal select passports become unblocked the final 2 weeks of August- but again, this has been the case for the last 4-5 years, and the pattern has held (i.e. large dropoffs the week prior to Labor Day).

Were those the projected, or actual crowd reports? Some of the info others have linked to were projected and actual were much higher. Local kids head back to school in this time frame, which is a drop usually.

Disneyland half marathon crowds

This year will be my first half marathon with Disney and I was wondering if I could get an idea of how the crowd level will be over this weekend. I avoid all holiday weekends at all costs, however I don't have much of a choice on this one. We will have 3 day passes and are arriving on Friday. Any tips would be appreciated.

Any thoughts on going during Halloween to DLR? We're thinking 10/31-11/1 or 11/1 to 11/2 (basically Thursday,Friday or Friday, Saturday). Halloween I can imagine will be busy but how about the weekend after?

Was mommyTo2Boys

I did Tinkerbell half this year, & it was the same weekend as MLK. I am a not go during peak times kind of gal, no summers, no holidays etc. In all honesty it wasn't too bad. I was with 6 other friends, and we managed to do quit a bit in a full day (Monday) & 2 half days (Saturday & Sunday), considering how sore our legs were on Monday I am surprised we made it around the park. Don't get me wrong, it will be crowded but you will be full of adrenaline anyway. Go & enjoy yourself. Running through the park is so magical.

Formerly MommyTo2Boys1Girl
    Lori, Mommy to 4 Disney kids, Disneyland fanatic, annual pass holder

The Hollywood Chain Gang CariBelle's Avatar

At the Disneyland Half last year the crowd levels were great! I was really surprised as we don't normally go on holiday weekends either.
    Tink weekend in comparison is crowded! We waited almost 25 minutes for Pirates and during the DL half it was a walk on.