Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Crowd level questions

Crowd level questions

I see the old crowd level thread is closed and haven't noticed another one yet so here we go.

We were planning on going to DLR the first week of December this year. We were going to fly in Saturday, November 30th and stay until the next Saturday. My mom just pointed out that the Saturday is the one after Thanksgiving and airfare will be higher than normal. So we might move the trip to the following week. Will that make much of a difference in crowd levels? I have always heard the closer you get to Christmas the higher the crowds.

2. # ADS

I'm sure I've read several times that the weeks between Thanksgiving break and Christmas break have moderate crowd levels as compared to the week of Thanksgiving. We went in 2011, around early December on a T&W (I believe), and the crowds were not bad at all.

It will be a bit worse, still not bad. The week after Thankgiving is really ideal for low crowds. Would it work better if you traveled Sunday to Sunday or arrived on Monday or Tuesday for airfare?

Traditionally, that second Saturday (your new arrival) and Sunday were Candlelight. We have been three times in the same time frame. The crowds are very moderate. This year was heavier then the other 2 (2008, 2011), but still comfortable. We had the every night was CP, this year and Carsland. We didn't miss anything significant.

Has anyone ever gone on a Dapper Day? I'll be at DLR really early for breakfast anyway but I was just curious.

We'll be going on Sunday Feb. 24th. I guess I should check the AP block calendar

Quote Originally Posted by jananafish View Post
    Has anyone ever gone on a Dapper Day? I'll be at DLR really early for breakfast anyway but I was just curious.

We'll be going on Sunday Feb. 24th. I guess I should check the AP block calendar
    It's busy, it's a weekend. Dress nice and have fun.

Theme Park Mommy

Superbowl Sunday! More crowded, less crowded, or normal Feb. Sunday crowded ?

Disneyland College Program summer of 1997.
    DCL: Magic,Oct. 17, 2009 WC; Wonder, Jan. 21st, 2011 "Cruise to NoWhere"; Wonder, April 17th, 2011 10 day MR;Wonder, MR 2/12/12
    Run Disney: Tinkerbell 1/2 Marathon Jan. 20, 2013; Disneyworld Wine & Dine 1/2 Nov. 9, 2013 Yay for Coast to Coast; Tinkerbell 1/2 Jan. 19. 2014

We've gone the past few years and found it to be more crowded. And there will be a bigger crowd outside the ESPN Zone in DtD to watch the game, so be aware if you enter from that end.

Wishes he could be watching Wishes. RunninDisney's Avatar

How is Labor Day weekend? I'll be there for the Disneyland Half Marathon.

Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
    -1 Corinthians 9:24

Quote Originally Posted by RunninDisney View Post
    It normallly busy, not above avergage like other three day weekends. It comes at the end of summer and most schools are in session and family's already took their vacations. If you stick around into the week the crowds go down and it's a nice time to visit.

Was mommyTo2Boys

Changing our May trip a bit due to a conflict of 1 of my kids' activities. Which would be better, April 30-May 4, or May 14-18. I prefer the first option because later in May is getting close to the end of the school year & my kids may miss special things at school.

Formerly MommyTo2Boys1Girl
    Lori, Mommy to 4 Disney kids, Disneyland fanatic, annual pass holder

April 30th should be fine. It is more than 2 weeks after Easter (our guage for Spring time visiting, 2 weeks before or after), and before Grad nights start (Mid May I think.).

Was mommyTo2Boys
    Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    April 30th should be fine. It is more than 2 weeks after Easter (our guage for Spring time visiting, 2 weeks before or after), and before Grad nights start (Mid May I think.).
    Are we pushing it if we go April 17-21 or 23-28

Easter is March 31, so I think you will be fine. Expect weekend only fireworks/Fantasmic. Keep in mind Carsland still has normal patterns out of whack.

Quote Originally Posted by RunninDisney View Post
    Ive been during the Disney Marathon and the Tinkerbell Half Marathon and it worked out great. Both times were without knowing there was even a race (epic fail to do homework), rather focused on cheapest airfare for an impromptu weekend trip.

So many people there for the races floods hotels and drives other travelers away. In both cases the parks were empty after the race ends at park open because people are back showering, eating, napping. They fill up in the afternoons, so hit as many rides before lunch as you can and track the lowest wait times in the afternoon.
    Joey

Going 3/16 - 3/20. We visit multiple times a year, but have never been at that time. What should we expect?

Quote Originally Posted by with_5 View Post
    Going 3/16 - 3/20. We visit multiple times a year, but have never been at that time. What should we expect?
    Spring Break for a LOT of kids across the US. St. Patty's day weekend ta boot. If you don't get much constructive advice here I'd say check the crowd calendar at touringplans. Surely not as bad as holidays, but I'm betting a crowd of 7-8/10.

Oddly enough I'll be at WDW that week prior and expecting 7-8. Its fine so long as you're experienced and know what you really wanna see and do. Knock out the mountains and Cars Land early...then pace yourself for everything else to evade stress. If all else fails, just remember you're not at work.
    Joey

Crowd level questions

Thank you. We go every year for NYE and 4th of July, so crowds are not new or an issue for us. It's nice to know what to prepare for though.

Karin * Waiting to get back to my Happy Place

Quote Originally Posted by with_5 View Post
    Thank you. We go every year for NYE and 4th of July, so crowds are not new or an issue for us. It's nice to know what to prepare for though.
    No worries, that's what people are here for. Slight PS I am a frequent subscriber to touring plans and love the access. But there is a lot of math that goes into calculating. I'd say their predictions are always accurate for some point during the day, but not the whole day. I.e. I was at DLR one time when it said 9/10 and laughing in the morning because I reported it as a 1 or 2. Sure enough by 1pm you'd of had a problem walking with a stroller.

Funny I had tickets in hand for NYE this year past but realized if we didn't get to Orange County till 7, we'd never get in.

I'm confident you'll be okay, just follow that advice...hit the big rides early and plan on shows and classic rides after lunch.
    Joey

It will not be as bad as NYE. Calendar should be up by now (goes up 6 weeks in advance). If your parks hours say until 8, low crowds,, til midnight much busier. Your other indicator will be Fantasmic and fireworks, if they are not weekends only, expect crowds.
    Use fast pass for Carsland. It really has no real "good" time to go, but if you can get a first thing ride and grab a fast pass for later (gone in about an hour when busy, lasting a couple of hours when it is slow) you will be in good shape.

Was mommyTo2Boys

Just an FYI, hotels the week of April 23-27 are $50+ more per night, with our first pick hotel, Doubletree Suites, being sold out for the 1 room suites. Something is going on.

Cheerleading would be my first guess. Did you check the convention center's calendar?
    Eta: Not, cheer, but I see a large career development convention on sat/sun 26$27. That will bring a lot of teenagers and their families. They have all four large exhibit halls. Perhaps they are expecting families to arrive early?

Was mommyTo2Boys

The week before that & the week after look pretty good, at least rate wise for hotels. I can't decide what to do. Ugh

I followed the link to the web site. They are expecting 16,000 people. I would go the week before.

Was mommyTo2Boys

Thank you! We plan to be in the parks Wednesday-Friday. Knowing Friday will be busier, but we always like to end trip with a late day & fireworks. Looks like the latest spring break I see in surrounding areas, & states, starts 4/7, so going the week of the 14th, you think we are OK then? I feel like a rookie planning this, but we have always avoided March & April. Thanks for your help.