Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: That's My Opinion: Disney for Seniors

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

That's My Opinion: Disney for Seniors

Disney for Seniors by Steve Russo

How to determine if you're a senior; and what it means for your Disney vacation.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

On a recent trip my wife and I (we are both in our 50's) were in line at Toy Story. A teenage girl behind us asked me "Does Disney make you feel young?" At first I was offended. Heck, I AM young! But then I hought about it and she was right. It does. It helps me rekindle that spark of excitement and wonder that never really went out as I grew older. And for that, Disney, thank you!

I don't know why you want to fight the term Senior Citizen, but everyone over 50 will either feel the effects or look it. Heck, I'm starting to feel it at 48 years old. My eyes are changing. I may need to get bifocals soon. My knees are wearing out. No more running if I can help it. Only one roller coaster per trip. I'm getting motion sickness on many rides. Yet I'm still young at heart and LOOKS. Many retailers still ask for my ID when I buy liquor. I get mistaken for being in my 30s still.

The difference between being young and old is resources and willingness to live with inconveniences. I will not stay in a cramped hotel room with many people. Go large. I'll get a bigger room at a nicer resort. I won't eat fast food for dinner. It is a nice hot meal with some quality cooking.

With rides, I'm enjoying Small World much more. I loved it when I was a kid. Then ignored it when a teenager and young adult. I'm BACK. I love that ride. Also, when you're old, that song doesn't stay in your head much. Old age affects your memory. Thank goodness.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo996 View Post
    I don't know why you want to fight the term Senior Citizen,
    I don't. It the definition and association with "elderly" I object to.
    Steve

That is too funny since Small World has become one of my favorite rides (I am 46 years old) the last few years. It brings me back to a time in my youth. I also liked it as a kid and later did not like it as a teenager or young adult.

Quote Originally Posted by srusso100 View Post
    I don't. It the definition and association with "elderly" I object to.
    Wikipedia refers to "old age" as well as "elderly". It's too bad that Disney doesn't offer senior discounts since it should be used to good effect.

It is a good idea to contrast it with middle age, which usually means someone 40 to 60 years old, but it can refer to someone as young as 35 years old.

The definition of elderly is closely aligned with seniors.

elderly [ ldərlee ] 1.past middle age: past middle age and approaching the later stages of life
    2.characteristic of life after middle age: characteristic of or relating to life after middle age
    3.old-fashioned: old and somewhat old-fashioned

I am 63, and the Disney Parks definitely make me feel younger. I still love every ride, and my age hasn't made me limit my riding on any of them. I still line up before the parks open and stay until they close. At 61 I did that for 5 days in a row. I don't have time to go back to the hotel and rest. This year I plan to go for 7 days in a row. I always feel more energized when I leave than when I got there. Age is just a number and doesn't mean anything.

Quote Originally Posted by kraftykaren49 View Post
    I am 63, and the Disney Parks definitely make me feel younger. I still love every ride, and my age hasn't made me limit my riding on any of them. I still line up before the parks open and stay until they close. At 61 I did that for 5 days in a row. I don't have time to go back to the hotel and rest. This year I plan to go for 7 days in a row. I always feel more energized when I leave than when I got there. Age is just a number and doesn't mean anything.
    What you said is awesome!! My husband told me a few years back that when he can't walk much, that he will be in a scooter and still going strong. I agree. I have been visiting Disneyland since about the age of 5, now I am almost 46. I love the parks.
    Living life to the fullest

http://www.oilyhabit.com/