Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Candy Cane Schedule

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

2012 Candy Cane Schedule

According to cast members at the Disneyland Candy Kitchen and DCA's Trolley Treats, Candy Cane season starts this Friday at Disneyland. For the first time, both parks will be making candy canes, which means the treats will be available four times a week. Here's the schedule I was given today. Please note, the CMs were not 100% about the Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dates; I'm waiting for official confirmation from Disney.

Friday, 11/23 - Disneyland
    Saturday, 11/24 - DCA

Monday, 11/26 - Disneyland
    Tuesday, 11/27 - DCA
    Friday, 11/30 - Disneyland
    Saturday, 12/1 - DCA

Monday, 12/2 - Disneyland
    Tuesday, 12/4 - DCA
    Friday, 12/7 - Disneyland
    Saturday, 12/8 - DCA

Monday, 12/10 - Disneyland
    Tuesday, 12/11 - DCA
    Friday, 12/14 - Disneyland
    Saturday, 12/15 - DCA

Monday, 12/17 - Disneyland
    Tuesday, 12/18 - DCA
    Friday, 12/21 - Disneyland
    Saturday, 12/22 - DCA

Monday, 12/24 - Disneyland
    Tuesday, 12/25 - DCA

Wristbands will be distributed at the locations at park opening. Since "park opening" can mean different things, I asked for clarification and was told the current-but-always-subject-to-change-plan is that wristbands will be distributed as soon as the park gates open to the general public. The schedule was supposedly created so as to offset the Magic Morning / Early Entry dates - the park will open at the same time for everyone.

AVP

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

Interesting. This might offset some of the RSR crowds.

I think the candy canes are one of the most special seasonal things at Disneyland. So glad they're making them at both parks; hopefully, more people will be able to enjoy them and the lines won't be too crazy!

Now, the test will be...which park makes them better?

Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

Are wristbands distributed first come first serve and then you go later in the day to get a candy cane?

Quote Originally Posted by jkweitzel View Post
    Are wristbands distributed first come first serve and then you go later in the day to get a candy cane?
    Yes -- we did it last year at Disneyland. You go straight to the Candy Palace, and there will be a line formed outside. CMs hand out wristbands and tell you what time you can come back for your candy cane. There are a few different batch times, and they were first come, first serve (those later in the line got later batch return times).

Awesome that sounds terrific! Thank you!!

Did I miss the price somewhere? I have heard about these for so long. So how good are they? Do they just melt in your mouth? My son is a huge candy cane lover so I am wondering if I need to make a trip down there. The days we may be going are not the days they will be making them so I might have to make another special trip. We are only an hour away.

~Christina~

This is my first trip during the holiday season and it looks like Ill get four chances to get a candy cane so excited.

I've seen the lines for candy canes but have never purchased one. Can someone who knows tell me if you think it's worth making the extra effort to get one, or is it just a "nice" thing to do? Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Liar View Post
    I've seen the lines for candy canes but have never purchased one. Can someone who knows tell me if you think it's worth making the extra effort to get one, or is it just a "nice" thing to do? Thanks!
    It's...a candy cane. So, for me, no.

I've had homemade candy canes before. I've "pulled" handmade candy canes before. There is just no big "squee" factor for me. I know where to get a similar Hammond's candy cane with no line and they are beautiful and tasty.

I will now stand back, while the purists describe the joys of waiting in line and the delicious taste of real peppermint oil.

I think it's like Disney popcorn. Some people find it to taste especially delicious. I think it tastes like popcorn. Whether it's worth it is entirely subjective.
    "The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

I agree that the worth-it factor is totally subjective. Yes, the hand made candy canes are pretty (much nicer looking than factory candy canes), but they don't taste significantly more sweet or delicious than other peppermint candies. I like Hammond's better, too, if the canes are for my consumption. (Recommend the tour at the Denver factory for those who are interested.) But last year we got one DL candy cane each to give as gifts. Both recipients were so happy that the canes were from DL -- it just made the whole thing so special for them. So, that was our worth-it factor -- not for ourselves, but making those 2 people really, really happy.

I definitely understand how the experience or association can make something more special. I've never regretted standing in line for three+ hours for Indiana Jones when it first opened. Sure, the ride wasn't much different than it would be on less crowded days (although it was the one time I recall seeing everything working at the same time), but the experience was neat.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Escape2Disney View Post
    Interesting. This might offset some of the RSR crowds.
    I would not count on it. Two completely different crowds. And the candy cane crowd is quite small and takes just a few minutes in the am.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Liar View Post
    I've considered doing it just for the heck of it. I think it would be fun to watch them get made cause I've never done it before and I tend to like to watch stuff like that. I've thought about it for the past couple years but haven't gotten around to it. The main drawback for me is getting there early enough.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    I think it would be fun to watch them get made cause I've never done it before and I tend to like to watch stuff like that.
    That's a good point. I can't eat most of what they have in the candy store, but I definitely like watching them make it. I'm going to make an effort to stop by when I'm at DCA on Tuesday and take a look. It should be interesting.

Actually, that brings up another question: On the days that they're making candy canes, do you know how much of the day they spend actually making them? Do you have to show up early to see the action?

How many canes per person can you buy?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tru2mickey View Post
    How many canes per person can you buy?
    In the past, they have limited it to 2 per person with a wristband.

How early? In the morning. They make the first at opening, and the second batch starts around 10 if I remember right.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

About 7 minutes into part 1, they start the Candy canes:

It continues in part 2. Fun to watch, I am just not sure how much you could actually see if you aren't there super early to be at the window.

I think they limited the number of ready made canes per purchase, as well. Last year, I think a CM at the Candy Kitchen told me it was 1 or 2 ready made canes per person, no wristband necessary.

Hammonds uses real peppermint oil as well in their candy canes. We have the Factory out here by us. What is funny is, they make their Christmas candy in October. In December they are starting on Valentine and Easter candy. We will be at DL the 14th but will probably pass on a candy cane. I like them ok but don't love them enough for all the hassle.

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

I don't remember what time of year we took the Hammond's tour, but it wasn't December, and they were making the candy canes whlie we watched. And we got free samples! Yum. The peppermint was good, but I liked the cinnamon and the clove better.

Are the premade ones, which I was told are exactly the same as the fresh ones except they're made off-site, any good? I was thinking these might make good gifts, but since the fresh made ones are 1 or 2 per person, I would have to consider the premade.

We've given the premade ones as gifts and haven't heard any complaints. I think they will be well received (they certainly look very nice and glossy), especially if the recipients are only used to factory candy canes. And not all the premade ones are made off site, because Trolley Treats was making them last week to go on sale at TT and Marceline's today.

Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    We've given the premade ones as gifts and haven't heard any complaints. I think they will be well received (they certainly look very nice and glossy), especially if the recipients are only used to factory candy canes. And not all the premade ones are made off site, because Trolley Treats was making them last week to go on sale at TT and Marceline's today.
    Aww, I wish I knew that yesterday. I saw them at TT but passed on them thinking they wouldn't have them until today. Thanks for the info.