Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Grand Floridian DVC Villas?

I am Root. Bow before me!
    MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

Grand Floridian DVC Villas?

SEDCrocket at MouseOwners.com found a very interesting filing by WDW with the South Florida Water Management District, for a new construction project at the Grand Floridian.

Reading though the plans it looks like this is may be the rumored DVC property. I've attached the site plan filing below.

The technical specs indicate that they will fill in about an acre of Seven Seas Lagoon to construct this, and offsetting expansion of Bay Lake will be made.

If you would like to see the full application, you can go to www.sfwmd.gov and search for permit # 110307-4.
    Never argue with stupid people. They just drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
    I will believe it is a crisis when the people claiming it is a crisis start acting like it is a crisis.
    I prefer to let George Lucas disappoint me in the order he intended.

2. # ADS

Here's a photo of the site...

I could be all wrong, but what struck me was the perfectly symmetrical cross shape of the proposed building. Could it be a chapel for larger weddings or multi-denominational church services? Any idea if it's a single floor or multi-floor building? That would be the telling detail.

I am Root. Bow before me!
    MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by arnoldvb View Post
    I could be all wrong, but what struck me was the perfectly symmetrical cross shape of the proposed building. Could it be a chapel for larger weddings or multi-denominational church services? Any idea if it's a single floor or multi-floor building? That would be the telling detail.
    There is nothing in the plans I can find that indicates the number of stories of the building. But, that is not surprising, since this was a filing focusing on the water impact.

That being said, this is highly unlikely to be a church or wedding pavilion. I can't see any reason for Disney to be building a church. That would make no sense at all. As for a wedding pavilion, the amount of square footage for the building makes that unlikely. I would also be very surprised if the weddings were bringing in enough revenue to justify the level of construction that this involves. Filling in an acre of lake to build a building? That's not cheap.

If this isn't DVC, the only thing I can think of that would explain a building with this large of a footprint would be convention space.
    Never argue with stupid people. They just drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience.
    I will believe it is a crisis when the people claiming it is a crisis start acting like it is a crisis.
    I prefer to let George Lucas disappoint me in the order he intended.

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

It is indeed to be a new DVC resort. (A few) more details in tomorrow's WDW Update.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

From today's update:

This will dominate the view from the Wedding Pavilion toward everything to the left of Big Pine Key (building 9).
    Meaning the view for the next while from the wedding pavillions will be..... construction equipment? How romantic!!!
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    From today's update:
    Meaning the view for the next while from the wedding pavillions will be..... construction equipment? How romantic!!!
    I thought about that as well. I have to say I would be less than thrilled to have my wedding next to a construction site.

Mily

I have my wedding booked at the Wedding Pavillion for February next year.

Currently not sure what is going on.... DFTWs say they don't know.

Count me in... I'm adding on points there!

DVC Mike

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The update said it would have approx 200 rooms (fewer 2bdrm equivalents). I looked on the Park pages at other DVCs, and although I couldn't find specifics on Grand Californian Villas - this is going to be around the same (fewer) than Jambo House, Beach Club Villas, and at least 1/3 fewer than Bay Lake Tower (which has 295 2-bedroom units). Didn't BLT sell out quite quickly?

If the demand is that high for a monorail-served DVC, shouldn't they add a few more rooms than that?

Cathy

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar
    From today's update:

Ha ha --that was my thought too--they'd better put in a REALLY attractive construction fence.

Quote Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
    Count me in... I'm adding on points there!
    I am SHOCKED. Shocked, I tell you!

Didn't BLT sell out quite quickly?

If the demand is that high for a monorail-served DVC, shouldn't they add a few more rooms than that?
    BLT has not sold out yet. In fact, just today I was reading on another site that even though Disney is still offering it a lot of resales are showing up for BLT. I have a feeling the GF-DVC will sell a lot better. Many people were turned off by the decor of BLT. (I know I am.)
    "Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    I have a feeling the GF-DVC will sell a lot better. Many people were turned off by the decor of BLT. (I know I am.)
    I know I was turned off at first until I saw a model at the Doorway to Dreams in Schaumburg. In person, its not so bad.

At the same time, I know there are people who avoid the GF because of its decor - that it almost feels too rich to walk through wearing a swimsuit or a pair of Mickey ears.

I think a lot is going to depend on what the cost per point is by the time they start selling villas there and what the points chart will look like. If it takes a lot of points for a stay, it will surely not be a selling point.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

That is one long walk. It might be easier to walk to the Poly for diner. And if you get back too late that's one heck of a walk from the parking lot too (figuring you are getting the last spots).

Is there any timeframe mention about this project? What is the estimated completion date?

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I dont think there are any specifics yet. Its probably a while off. Besides, they probably dont want much to compete with Aulani sales for a little bit.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Running at full speed
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marox3 View Post
    Is there any timeframe mention about this project? What is the estimated completion date?
    They haven't even really gotten started with the site work yet, and they haven't officially announced the project. Of course, they didn't officially acknowledge that BLT was going to be a DVC resort almost until it opened. They'll announce it in its own sweet time. Meanwhile, I would expect that it'll probably be at least 2013 or so before the building opens.