Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Siggy's Trip Report October 15-17 including MHP, F! and CHOC Walk

Siggy's Trip Report October 15-17 including MHP, F! and CHOC Walk

Siggy’s Halloween Trip to Disneyland 10/15-10/7
    Cast of characters: Jill aka Siggy, Shelley (my bff), Michaela (Shelley’s niece)
    Ages Represented in Group: 51, 35 and 11
    Disney Resort Experience Represented in Group: I have been many times (grew up in Venice) but 3rd time since last October, Shelley’s 2nd trip since she was 9 (I took her in May for her 35th birthday). Not sure of Michaela’s experience. She had been here at least once previously and also to WDW (I had been to WDW once in 1994)

Friday, October 15, 2010:

We flew down from Sacramento on a 7:55 am flight. The plane arrived and we did not have to have to wait too long for an accessible Super Shuttle van. There was another family sharing the van going to Paradise Pier Hotel. The little girl was a chatter box and it was fun to hear her be so excited about going to Disneyland. We were delivered to the Courtyard By Marriott on Harbor Blvd. I left my cane in the van, but the driver found it an returned it to us, after he dropped off the other family.

So, I had reserved an accessible room with a rollaway bed forMichaela. But when we checked in they said that they do not have rollaway beds! I did not understand how they could take reservations on the website when they did not have the rollaway beds,. Apparently that is just standard for the Marriott website. I knew that the Anaheim Marriott was next door. I asked if they might have accessible rooms with rollaways. The staff at the Courtyard called and found out that they did have an accessible room with a rollaway. They honored the rates that we had at the Courtyard +$10 a night. We took it. The gentleman from the front desk pushed our luggage over (Courtyard has no bellhop). The Anaheim Marriott was much nicer (not that the Courtyard is bad) More luxurious. We had a room with a small terrace. It was comfortable but a bit tight with the twin rollaway!

Once we got our luggage situated, we headed over to the parks on ART route #5. The plan was that Shelley and Michaela were going to get Mic’s ph pass and head over to GG for a fp for later. Originally I was going to get in line for the Visa pics. But since we were running late (due to switching hotels), we decided to postpone that for the next day. I was going to go to Aladdin and get in line for us, but I had a hitch in my plans. I grabbed the wrong pass-I had my Raging Waters AP. My DLR ap was in my wallet back at the hotel! :S:S:S So I went to the ticket booth and got a temporary pass. It took me awhile to find the Hyperion theatre I forgot you had to go through Bugs Land and it was very crowded. By the time I got to Aladdin, the 12:40 showing was full. Shelley called me and told me they did get in (She skipped going to GG for fp). So I told her I would go on Tower of Terror and wait for her and Mic. Neither of them wanted to go on it and I LOVE it!
    We met back up at around 1:45 and went to Pacific Wharf Caf. I had the Broccolli Cheddar cheese soup in the bread bowl. Yummy!! It hit the spot! Rochelle had the Chicken Apple Salad in the bread bowl and Mic had the Turkey Wrap kids meal. We were going to try Soarin but the line was long. Since we knew we were going to be out late, we headed back to the hotel for a rest and change into our costumes. We all tried to lie down and rest for an hour.

We left our room around 5. We had ps for dinner at BTMR at 5:40. Unfortunately the 1st bus was too crowded to get us on (including me in the scooter). So we took the next bus. Walked right in at the MHP line and got our wristbands (orange), Trick or Treat bag and schedule and map (which we forgot to look at all evening and missed the Cavalcade!). We arrived at BTMR at 6:05 and almost did not get in, . They just reminded us that they stopped serving food at 7. I said that was fine with us. We were seated towards the back in the middle. There were not many people left, so it was not too crowded. The food was very good . I really liked the cole slaw. Normally I like a mayonnaise based slaw, but this was vinegary and oh so good. When they brought the meat out the chicken was buried under the pork. Mic and Shelly eat pork but I am not a fan (although I do enjoy bacon!). The server was kind enough to bring out a bowl of legs and thighs for me. The beans were good. Though next time I think I would go for lunch as I do not eat sausage, and the corn was just so-so! I loved Chris and ? singing! I enjoyed singing along, especially This Land is Your Land. It was a lot of fun and we all enjoyed it. We would come back later for pictures with Mickey and Minnie, and Jesse.

We then headed towards Plaza Gardens. We should have headed back past BTMRR through Frontierland to the hub. But we got mixed up and ended up at the back of Fantasyland. We could not go through the castle as they were setting up for the fireworks. We ended going on the route between Matterhorn and Tomorrowland We finally got to the hub and had to fight our way across to Plaza Gardens upper level I enjoyed meeting EMGM, Leota’s Necklace, Malcon10t, MDM and AVP. If I forgot anyone, I apologize. It was a short visit. Shelley and Mic just sat off to the side and let me mingle, and be part of the 7:20 picture.

After that, we headed to the back of Critter Country at the Splash Mountain exit to start trick or treating.We worked our way all the way around Rivers of America. I took many people’s advice and started from the back-lines went very quickly. We then headed toward the ToT trail up by BTMRR all theway up to BTMR. We missed the ToT trails in Fantasyland and Tomorrow land. We checked out the line for Mickey and Minnie and it was too long. We decided to wait until after the fireworks We trick or treated back to Rivers of America and saw Captain Hook. We should have gotten in line for him!

We headed out to the hub and Shelley and Mic sat on the curb across from the Photo center. They were tired (I, of course, was not due to being in the scooter). So while they rested, and went down Main Street. It was absolutely deserted. I took advantage of it and explored the shops. I spent some time in the Emporium but did not buy. I also had my photo taken in front of the Giant Mickey.
    I then went to the popcorn cart across from City Hall. I snagged 2 of the Mickey Ghost bucket-one for me and one for Shelley.I then headed back to Shelley and Mic 10 min before the fireworks started. Oh wow were they amazing! I loved Oogie Boogie! Mic is sensitive to sounds and she forgot ear plugs. She held her ears but I think she enjoyed it. We worked our way back towards BTMR to see Mickey and Minnie, trick or treating along the way.

Not sure what time we got in line for Mickey and Minnie and Jesse (maybe 9:45 or so?) But we waited in line about 30 min which did not seem bad. When it was our turn, I rode the scooter up next to Mickey and Minnie (but out of the photo) and got up to stand with them (Shelley and Mic did their pic separately). I was most impressed with Mickey He could see I had difficulty balancing (did not want my cane in the photo) and held his arm out for me like a gentleman, so I could hold onto his elbow and stand between him and Minnie. They were just adorable in their costume. The next day when I had to go to City Hall for something, I made sure to leave a compliment at how attentive Mickey was. They asked what time we were there and we told them I am assuming different CM’s have shifts as Mickey. I wanted to make sure they got credit where credit was due! We then moved on to Jesse. It was cute to get our picture taken with her, but I wish there had been more Toy Story Characters out when we went.

Mic was getting tired but we wanted to make sure we got to ride on HMH for the Halloween party. I rode the scooter all the way up to the doom buggies, and Shelley and Mic came with me (when we went the next night, they chose to go in the queue to experience it). We all loved it and Shelley got a great picture of me in the doom buggy. I saw Leota floating! I love HMH. I looked for the gingerbread house and smelled the gingerbread! I had my cane with me and during the ride I dropped it on the floor. In the mirror room, it fell out of the doom buggy. I panicked! I told the CM and they were able to help me to the scooter and retrieve the cane. I had visions of it being crushed by the doom buggies, but the way the ride works, the buggies did not even hit it!

It had been a long day and by this time it was probably between 11:30 and midnight. We headed out to the exit, topping off our candy as we left. It was an absolutely fun evening, but we were zonked (I had been up since about 4:00 am!). We were not sure that ART was going to run that late (they told us on the way to the park that the last bus was at 11:30, but there was another bus and we got back to the room around 12:30.

I will post more about Day 2 and 3 tomorrow. Sorry it is so long but hope you are enjoying it!
    Siggy aka Jill

2. # ADS

I am almost done writing day 2. Sorry it is taking so long. Thanks to whomever rated this thread 5 stars! I just hope my thread is not too long.

Siggy aka Jill

Day 2 (Saturday):
    So considering I went to bed at 12:30 (probably closer to 1!), I cannot believe I woke up at 6:55! The plan was that Shelley and Mic would sleep in and I would go to the parks on my own and meet them later. I got dressed and went down to a nice breakfast in the hotel restaurant. I figured it would be best to get a good breakfast in me so I did not snack so much in the park. I arrived at Disneyland about 8:15.

I went to IASW first. I like this and Jungle Cruise, because I can ride in my scooter in my boat (I do not have strength in my leg since the accident and have to stay off that foot due to a diabetic pressure ulcer). I just love IASW and got a little verklempt/misty eyed riding it. It really is my happy place. I forgot to say I was celebrating my birthday on this day, even though my birthday was 13 days before. I wore my Its My Birthday T shirt, and my Mickey birthday ears, as well as getting a birthday button.

Anyways back to IASW. As I was on the boat, going in the ride, people in the queue saw me in my scooter wearing all my birthday gear, many people waved at me and wished me a Happy Birthday! I just love that ride, but I also like that they have added Disney Characters. It is fun looking for them. I also like it when I see שָׁלוֹם (which means Shalom).

After IASW, I headed to Alice but the line was too long (I never made it back). So I ended up going on Mr. Toads Wild ride. I had not been on this (or Peter Pan and Pinnochio) for AGES! It was a lot of fun. Peter Pan was the best. They have a special vehicle where the door opens wider, which helped me. I really got a kick out of this ride. Then I went on Pinnochio (might have been Pinnochio and then Peter Pan. It was at this point that I saw a Frozen Lemonade stand and decided to try one with a shot of Raspberry in a souvenir cup. It was delish-just the perfect texture.

After this, I headed towards Rivers of America past BTMRR and decided I wanted to go on Indy (wish I had tried to get on Pirates-never made it there) I loved Indy! I rode with a nice family, including the dad (Ryan) that helped me in getting my seatbelt on (being obese, and having nerve problems with my hand, it was difficult. We all thoroughly enjoyed it. I dont scream on rides but laugh (dont ask me why-have no clue!). After Indy, I got in line for Jungle Cruise when Shelley called me. They were over at the entrance to DCA. I agreed to meet them at the R so Mic could get her picture taken. It wa around 10:15. We went to get our free Disney Visa photo with Pluto (Mine has never turned up on my Photo pass account!).

When we got done with Pluto, Mic and I went to get in line Aladdin, while Shelley got us fps for Soarin and for the 10:15 show of WOC. She met us at the entrance to the Aladdin queue. Mic and I had explored Bugs Land a bit but it was just soooooooo crowded and it can be very claustrophobic riding in a scooter in the midst of such big crowds The Hyperion Theatre is soooo nice! The production was amazing! We sat in the hca seating at the back of the first orchestra section. I loved during the show that the cast members went right behind us, especially Aladdin on the elephant. The camels came right up to us, in our (Mic and I) face. I loved the Genies jokes, especially on how they related to current events (like Joy and Whoopi walking off The View the day before). I loved the Flying Carpet scene too. It really was stupendous! Reminded me of Lion King when I saw it here in Sacramento.

By this time, we were all very hungry. We first went to Mission Tortillas for my free pack of Tortillas,. Mic wanted a hot dog, so we headed over to Award Wieners. I finally got a Corn Dog (oh so yummy!). On our way to Soarin, we stopped at the Candy Store and I bought some English Toffee. Shelley and Mic went exploring and I lost them temporarily. We eventually found each other and headed off to Soarin with our FPs. I will never tire of this ride. I wish I had been able to go on it more than once this trip. Too crowded for me to do anything twice this trip!

Shelley and Mic headed over to Paradise Pier to ride California Screamin and TSMM. I needed a break! I decided to go check out Grand Californian. I loved the lobby! Breathtaking! I went by Napa Rose and Storytellers. I should have gone in Napa Rose to check it out. I discovered Whitewater Snacks, Nice place with lots of choices to eat for something casual as an alternative to the parks I got a soda and just sat at a table drinking, and taking notes for this report.

So I met back up with Shelley and Mic and headed back to Disneyland to get Mic Tikified. I did not have a Dole Whip or a Dole Whip float. I will try one another time. We all enjoyed this. I think Mic enjoyed this. I feel like I know the words by heart. Lol. I did look for Maynard, but he was not there at this time.

We headed over to Caf Orleans and had to wait about 15 minutes. It was really packed. The HA line for Pirates was CRAZY! I knew I would not make it on there that night,. Never did make it. We sat outside and I just stayed in my scooter. I had the French Onion Soup and the 3 Cheese Monte Cristo. It was so wonderful and cheesy. I made the mistake of ordering the Garlic Fries too, to share with Shelley and Mic. We just did not have the room for it and it went to waste. Mic had the kids menu Mac n Cheese, Shelley had the French Quarter Caesar Salad with Blackened Chicke n. She was afraid it would be too spicy but it was just right. Shelley ordered the Gingerbread Beignets with the with Eggnog Anglaise. I had one and let them share rhe other 4. We thoroughly enjoyed the meal.

It was time to go find the F! podium!We looked for it by the entrance to HMH. We did not see it and went as far as Splash Mountain and realized we went too far. We came back and finally found it around 8:15. We were waiting to be let in. I saw someone in a wheelchair be let in. I asked if it was possible to go in early as well. They were able to let us in. They sat us at the far end of the seating area from the podium next the ropes. We received our dessert box, Heavenly!!! I loved the lemon tart. I ate the grapes but was so full from dinner that I ended up barely making a dent in my dessert box. We had a great views of the show. I did not even miss Murphy. We did hear the announcement that the viewing area was full and that they were adding another show at 11:30.

We had fastpasses for the 10:15 show of WOC. But we looked around at the crowds and decided it was not possible to get to, so we stayed in our seats to watch the Remember fireworks. I loved that Julie Andrews narrated! It sure was magical.

After the fireworks, Shelley and Mic got in queue for HMH and I went in the HA line. I held on tight to my cane this time! I looked for Shelley and Mic when I was heading back out. It took us awhile to go back up in the stretch room, as one was not working properly (it would not close). So we waited for the other elevator to come down. When we got up, we stood by and let the next group in before we (CM and me) went out. As I was heading out, Shelley saw me and yelled at me. They were still in queue but almost in the building. I just went out the Entrance to HMH and just rode across the walkway and parked my scooter with the stroller parking and watched (partially blocked view) F! again. When they came out, we headed out of the park. We got back to the hotel shortly after midnight.

Siggy aka Jill

Love the details, great report! I will be down there Thursday night, getting excited.

Quote Originally Posted by chris001 View Post
    Love the details, great report! I will be down there Thursday night, getting excited.
    Thanks. Are you going to the Halloween Party on Friday night? Have a blast. I see you are from Elk Grove. There are a number of Mouse padders from this area. Now I need to write Day 3.
    Siggy aka Jill