Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Korkis Korner: The Frito Kid Rides Again

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff

Korkis Korner: The Frito Kid Rides Again

The Frito Kid Rides Again by Jim Korkis

Jim tells more forgotten stories from Frontierland.

Read it here!

2. # ADS

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i was only 4 when I first was mesmerized by that mysterious voice from the mountain and the bag of chips - but i loved it. Great stuff... i am so nostalgic for little touches like the Frito Kid. That's why I really enjoy Shrunken Ned, The Other Genie, and some of the things in Toontown..

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Lafitte's Anchor

Regarding the anchor in Frontierland, your article states: "According to Disneyland publicity, the anchor was believed to be a part of one of the pirate ships that sailed the Gulf of Mexico in the days of Jean Lafitte and it remained displayed at Disneyland for at least four decades."

In actuality, the anchor has been on display at Disneyland since 1955, which is more than five and a half decades! And once you read the plaque, you'll understand that no one at Disneyland was ever that serious about the anchor's authenticity:

LAFITTE'S ANCHOR

SAID TO BE FROM A PIRATE SHIP COMMANDED BY JEAN LAFITTE IN THE BATTLE OF NEW ORLEANS

JANUARY 8, 1815

IT IS ALSO SAID THAT LAFITTE'S PRIVATEERING SHIPS LEFT A WAKE OF BLOOD FROM THE MAINLAND TO BARATARIA BAY

BUT DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ

You can see photos of this anchor and its plaque in a recent post on an amazing blog called "Long-forgotten" (about the Haunted Mansion).

Jeff Peterson
    Escondido, California

Hacker, nonmammaltarian, Warrior Andrew's Avatar

That plaque has been used in numerous MouseAdventure quests and was also featured in the recent D23 scavenger hunt.