Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2-Night Weekend Getaway Cruise 1/21-23/2011 [Roll Call and Planning]

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

2-Night Weekend Getaway Cruise 1/21-23/2011 [Roll Call and Planning]

Bookings for a 2-Night "Weekend Getaway" Cruise on the Disney Wonder open tomorrow. The cruise departs at 5pm Friday, January 21 2011 and returns 9:30am Sunday, January 23. This cruise fills the 2-night gap between the arrival of the Disney Wonder from Port Canaveral (via the Panama Canal) and the first of the 2011 Mexican Riviera cruises.

This is a real "cruise to nowhere," as the ship won't be making any port stops - Saturday is a "day at sea."

We don't have any pricing details yet, but Ted Bradpiece from Two Bears Travel said to expect $400-$500 per person for a Cat 9 (Ocean View) stateroom.

It's tough to judge demand for a 2-night "cruise to nowhere" in this market, but if you're interested, call your travel agent tonight or first thing tomorrow morning to book.

AVP

It looks like there are a bunch of MousePadders on this cruise, so I'm starting an official Roll Call:

It's CRUISE DAY!

Update 1/21

Updated with more cabin numbers and added the folks who joined us after the last update. If you have any more info you'd like to add, please post it here.

Cabin numbers, if we know them, are in red. If your information is in grey, it means we're missing some vital info about your group, like room number or how many in your party.

WHY DO WE NEED YOUR CABIN NUMBER? We don't, BUT, it's the only way we can find you to distribute whatever little gifts people might be bringing. (That's the whole "Fish Extender" thing). That's also why it helps to list who you're rooming with, even if you just want to list age and gender, so we can make sure to include everyone.

AVP (Adrienne) and Tony - 7567
    biolabetty (Barbara) & Geoff ("Disney tolerator") - 6631
    chipndale16 & ? - ?
    stitch4336 & DH - 5524
    Andrew & Jennifer - 7124
    SJF510 & Glenn - 7514
    Toocherie & Stacie (+ bottles of Magicale) -2550
    dlfansx4 (Patti) & DH (John), DD (12) and DS (7) -8552 (First cruise)
    JohnGar & LauraGar - 2644
    jeffhar & 9 people in 3 cabins - 8540 - celebrating parent's 50th anniversary
    Sleeping Beauty's mom (Wendy) & Schyler - 2611
    Joseph Family - 5013
    bennette & Don (+ bottles of Magicale) - 2062
    weluvdisney, husband, DD7, DD16 - 6603
    Prudence & The Rat - 6078
    katieandmattsmom (Patty) & DH, DD16, DS13 and Ahmed (exchange student, 16) - 8548 - 20th Anniversary
    Evil Queen Shari & hubbie, sister, brother in law and adorable niece- 5134 & 5132 - DH birthday and niece's first cruise.
    Crazydave & Dawn - ?
    disneyguy537 (Guy) & DW, DS12, DD8 -6514
    Dom262 & ? - ?
    ClubDis (Jamie) & Zack - #5624, Our very first cruise ever!!!!
    Karin & Kenji - 7043
    lulubelle & Bree - Cabin 2554.
    stan4d_steph and the roomies who haven't yet "outed" themselves - 7006
    Rick, Patty and Anthony - cabin 6624
    ALittlePixieDust & DH and DD14 - 8030 - ALittlePixieDust and DD's Birthdays
    mmclubhouse mommy & DH, DD (5), DS (3) - 5514 and parents Dad (61) and Mom (56) - 2044 - first cruise for the mmclubhouse crew; first Disney cruise for the parents
    larenluv (Kristi) & Emma, DS Alex 18, DD Hunter 15, DD Danyelle 13 - ??? - first Disney cruise for everyone, first cruise for the kids
    sumeto (Suzan) & DS29 (Tony), DM78 (Bonnie) - 6138
    lilgwacie (Grace - 25) & BF (Andrew - 25) - 6000 - BFs birthday, 1st Disney cruise.
    mlr1234 (Michele) & Lynn - 2032
    lapdwife (Stephanie) & ?, DD(14), DS(6) - 15th wedding anniversary - ?
    DMommyP (Deni), hubby Tom, and MegP (Meghan) - 2131 - First Disney cruise.
    gdanie (Danie) & Kristen and Kerry - 7616
    CADisneyFam (Janel) & hubby, 15 yr old and & 7 yr old - 6122 (traveling light, not participating in FE gifts)
    Toocherie's friend Scott + three kids (13, 14 and adult) - ?
    MaleficentShawna + husband and daughter - 5132; first Disney Cruise
    schnebs - ? - ?
    kellyca & husband - 2544; first Disney Cruise
    igrules - Suzanne, Karey and Royal - 6099

If you want to add names, kids, ages, room #s, special events, whatever, just let me know!

AVP

ROOM HOPPING - Updated 1/18

Due to lack of participation from anyone in categories 2 - 8, we've decided to cancel room hopping. Since the general idea is to allow folks to see as many different types of rooms as possible, there's no real point in everyone going to see another example of the category they are already in.

Instead, ALittlePixieDust has VERY GRACIOUSLY offered to host a MousePad meet-and-greet from 2-3pm in the Walt Disney Suite, room 8030. Since the room isn't big enough to hold all 130+ of us this will just be an opportunity to tour the room, but will not be a gathering. (Putting it as nicely as I can, you're invited to tour the room, not hang out.)

The "OFFICIAL" MousePad gathering will be during the Sail Away Party. Come find us on Deck 10 (very top deck of the ship) on the port midship section. I'll have the MousePlanet gifts there, and will distribute them to everyone who stops by.

AVP

Last edited by AVP; 01-21-2011 at 08:55 AM. Reason: updated roll call list
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

Read Everything-Assume Nothing
    MousePad Administrator
    Blog Entries

You know... that would be a great trip for those who want to try a cruise but dont want to shell out a lot of cash.

Granted, it would not be the same without a stop at Castaway Cay, but still...

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Hacker, nonmammaltarian, Warrior Andrew's Avatar

Don't they have to stop at a foreign port at least for a couple of hours?

--
    Andrew [

Buy my stuff on Amazon! (books, DVDs, etc) - all proceeds go to Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training fundraising!

Well, DCL surprised even me, the two night cruise to nowhere is posted and the cost......for a category 9 (Outside) is running......around $618.00 for two people and includes DCL's Insurance.

The ship does not have to make a foreign port call on an itinerary like this, the ship literally sails into International Waters and stays there. The exemption is granted for a foreign port call. I have been on many of these and due to the length of the cruise, it is literally a "cruise to nowhere" but a fantastic way to get to know a ship or cruising for that matter.

Ted Bradpiece
    Two Bears Travel
    tgbradpiece@twobearstravel.com

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Bears View Post
    Well, DCL surprised even me, the two night cruise to nowhere is posted and the cost......for a category 9 (Outside) is running......around $618.00 for two people and includes DCL's Insurance.
    That's really not all that bad. It's comparable to 2 nights at the Grand Californian, but includes all meals.

If we were not getting on the Dream that Sunday, I'd consider it - but there's no way I'm canceling THAT cruise for this one!

AVP

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I got a text this morning: two couples we are cruising through the PC with are doing this one, too.

I think Mr. Niwel and I are going to pass. 15 nights is just perfect.

Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.

I would so love to do this cruise. It's just an hour flight for us to get there and back (and we fly free). I would so love to get the concierge level for this one since I can never get it on the other ships, the only problem is is that is the same amount as what I'm paying for the Dream cruise in February.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

After double checking calendars and realizing we CAN do both, we're seriously considering booking an inside stateroom for this before we leave for the Dream inaugural cruise. $440? Yep, that's worth it!

AVP

Could I use DVC points for this? I can't find it listed in the DVC charts.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by biolabetty View Post
    Could I use DVC points for this? I can't find it listed in the DVC charts.
    You probable need to call Member Services - since they just announced this, it wouldn't have been included in the point charts.

AVP

Thank you, I will do that once they open for the day again. I have a hard time remembering to call according to east coast time.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you wanted a guess (and maybe a really bad one) - but find a resort/room type/number of nights to have a cash reservation cost at a DVC resort that equaled about the cost listed for the cruise - then figure out how many points that would be to rent the same room. That could be one edge of the range.

Then look at how many points it is to do another cruise that you know the points for. Figure out what the cost for that is in $ for the same cruise and room type - and then ratio that to the lower $ cost for the 2 night cruise. Probably be best to use a 3 night cruise as a basis.

They'd at least be data points you could gather while Member Services is closed.

I would also figure what you could rent out the DVC points for - and so how many points would you have to rent to 'pay' for the cruise. And if it's over that number of points - may be a better deal to pay cash for the cruise.

Cathy

Do you have to use a travel agent to book this cruise? I see it listed on the main DCL site, but when I try to price it out, Jan 2011 is not availabe in the dropdown for the Alaska & Pacific section. Cal lme Goofy - can't figure it out

Quote Originally Posted by stitch4336 View Post
    Do you have to use a travel agent to book this cruise? I see it listed on the main DCL site, but when I try to price it out, Jan 2011 is not availabe in the dropdown for the Alaska & Pacific section. Cal lme Goofy - can't figure it out
    You find it under the Mexico cruises.

Quote Originally Posted by biolabetty View Post
    Thank you, I will do that once they open for the day again. I have a hard time remembering to call according to east coast time.
    Please let me know when you find out this information so that maybe I can do it too. Would really appreciate it.

Thanks CADisneygirl!

Dreaming of sailing on the Dream

So out of curiousity with only two nights for dinner which two restaurants would you choose?

Palo and Triton's.

Karin

Quote Originally Posted by Stichy626 View Post
    So out of curiousity with only two nights for dinner which two restaurants would you choose?
    I would definitely choose Triton's because that's my fav restaurant on the cruise line, and then probably Parrot Cay since I've never actually eaten there on all 4 trips that I've taken due to one reason or another. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by stitch4336 View Post
    Thanks CADisneygirl!
    You are welcome.

Just got off the phone with DVC and they don't have any listings of it which they said means they did not negotiate that cruise with the cruise line and therefore you can't use your points.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Ted from Two Bears checked with Disney, and verified that you do NOT need a passport for this particular cruise, which may be good news for people who want to get a taste of Disney cruising, but, for whatever reason, don't want to get a passport. "Birth Certificate and Photo ID are sufficient; Passport preferred."

AVP

We're booked, using cash. No kids this time, we'll take them to Mexico later next year, so we'll just check it out for them.

I'm soooooo excited! I just booked this cruise for myself and my husband! We've never been on a cruise before, and honestly, I'm not sure if I would really like a cruise. I'm positive that I will have a great time on a short 2-night cruise, and this is the perfect opportunity to test it out! I would love to hear any thoughts/advice from anyone who has been on a Disney Cruise before!

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chipndale16 View Post
    I'm soooooo excited! I just booked this cruise for myself and my husband! We've never been on a cruise before, and honestly, I'm not sure if I would really like a cruise. I'm positive that I will have a great time on a short 2-night cruise, and this is the perfect opportunity to test it out! I would love to hear any thoughts/advice from anyone who has been on a Disney Cruise before!
    You will love it so much you will 1) not want to get off and 2) have booked another one while you are onboard.
    Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.