PDA

View Full Version : Submarine Voyage, a restaurant?

disguy
09-22-2002, 04:58 PM
That's right, a under ground water/space themed restaurant. I over heard a cm talking with a friend (who was a guest) that they were tinkering around a underground restaurant to replace the Submarine voyage she also stated: "I doubt that will ever happen it would cost to darn much, they don't have money for this" Has anyone else heard any news about it?

Morrigoon
09-22-2002, 05:14 PM
Only time I ever heard this idea was here, (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=170&highlight=mermaid+lagoon) and oh look, I wrote it! I'm NOT an imagineer, so I wouldn't take my musings as Disney policy. But who knows, maybe the WDI guys came up with it too, it's entirely possible.

merlinjones
09-22-2002, 08:41 PM
There was an elaborate Nautilus themed restaurant, with fish in the windows and Nemo's salon furnishings, designed/planned for Discovery Bay in the 70's/80's.

It would be SO cool if they would revive this idea for Submarine Voyage lagoon.:)

Morrigoon
09-22-2002, 08:53 PM
Ooh, a Nautilus theme would be really cool!

RStar
09-23-2002, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Only time I ever heard this idea was here, (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=170&highlight=mermaid+lagoon) and oh look, I wrote it! I'm NOT an imagineer, so I wouldn't take my musings as Disney policy. But who knows, maybe the WDI guys came up with it too, it's entirely possible.

Or a WDI person stole your idea before getting laid off!

merlinjones
09-23-2002, 10:48 AM
http://laughingplace.com/News-ID112080.asp

At the above link, a Discovery Bay fan describes the old plan for Nautilus restaurant. I've seen the drawings and it was very cool. If they did this, I hope they would stick to the 20,000 Leagues theme. Snip:

>>To the East of the Hyperion and North of Chinatown we would see the Nautilus Submarine, which Jason Chandler rescued from its watery grave. Guests would tour the submarine, as they do now in
Paris, but would end up in the fabulous Grand Salon restaurant. Think Blue Bayou meets The Coral Reef Restaurant at Epcot’s The Living Seas meets a Victorian bordello. (Sorry). This would be extremely fine dining, with the fish eye window opening, as in the film, to reveal real fish in real water, cavorting as you dine on their relatives.<<

innerSpaceman
09-23-2002, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
This would be extremely fine dining, with the fish eye window opening, as in the film, to reveal real fish in real water, cavorting as you dine on their relatives
This is exactly what I thought was the problem with the Coral Reef restaurant at The Living Seas. It may seem just like an expanded version of the traditional lobster tank to some, but it struck me as an absolute horror to be dining on seafood while watching the beauty and splendor created by the magnificent panorama of live sea creatures in a sort of macabre 'before' and 'after' celebration of food chain carnage. I would HATE to see something like this at Disneyland, as seemingly beautiful as it might be.

Tref
09-23-2002, 05:36 PM
I remember reading about the underwater restaurant idea many an angry moon ago ... back when I was jez a young'un and the internet was just something that conservative old folks inserted into their shoes so to retain their shoe shape. I believe I remember seeing an artists rendition of the restaurant, too, at the little shop at the end of Main Street that use to house new & up and coming ideas. The print was done Le Roy Nieman-style, as Disney was wont to do back then, and pictured a man and a woman dining within a vast underwater bubble as all around them swam people in diving suits, or whatever ... I remember first thinking, Oh no! they are getting rid of the submarines! And then, a few minutes later, thinking, I wanna corn dog! And then, later, I remember I ate that corn dog.

I remain,

stinkerbell
09-23-2002, 11:17 PM
Oooooh, I like this idea--underwater eatery in Tomorrowland. :)

Gawd, I hope they eventually do something really worthwhile with the lagoon......:(

Morrigoon
09-24-2002, 12:00 AM
They should still run the subs, but hollow out that submerged "island" in the middle and put the restaurant there, that way the subs could be seen from the restaurant, and likewise (though the spiel on the subs could claim the building was an underwater "station" for scientific study or some such.

cstephens
09-24-2002, 06:14 AM
Of course, the concept of an underwater restaurant isn't a new idea. That was the original basis for Sea World.

mkyears
09-24-2002, 08:58 AM
I don't think the restaurant thing would be good I mean it would be better than nothing but come on we need a new ride Disney needs to think of something better than that

But after Al's Column I don't think we have much to look forward too.

AliKzam
09-24-2002, 11:20 AM
I would feel much better if they just put another ride there, instead. Even if they got rid of the lagoon and put something completely different in. There's really no need for another restuarant in Tomorrowland. The Pizza Port is smack in the middle of the land, and just a few feet ahead in Main St is the Plaza Pavillion. If they're looking for a place to put a new eatery, put an outdoor venture where the motorboat cruise used to be. Since it's next to Tomorrowland, across from the Matterhorn and on the way to It's a Small World-- not to mention a great view of the parade route-- the theming possibilities are endless.