PDA

View Full Version : How often do you share the things you've learned here?

Pages : [1] 2

yohomama212
04-22-2008, 10:04 AM
Since we're all talking about the different things we've learned here, it got me thinking about how much of that I'll tell others.

I'll gladly share the "goat trick" information with anyone I think will like it. I'm not a thrill ride person so I'll never do it and if I can add to someone else's experience in that manner, I will. In the same respect, I'll tell every mom I know about the hidden family restroom in DL because I know how great it has been for me when I'm there alone with three kids.

But I'm very cautious with how many people I tell about the FP window being very open. If I tell everyone who will listen that they don't have to use the FP in that window printed on the card then there's a chance of the FP line becoming as long as the standby line and thus defeating the original purpose of the FP system.

Elizabeth

Andrew
04-22-2008, 10:47 AM
All the time. I'm the designated Disney expert at my office.

stan4d_steph
04-22-2008, 10:47 AM
I don't tell too many people the FastPass trick, but I did share it recently when I was in WDW. We were having lunch at Yak & Yeti and the family next to us seemed rushed and told the waiter they needed to hurry because they had FastPasses for Everest that were going to expire. I caught the father's eye and kindly told him that he didn't need to rush through his lunch, but he should just enjoy and head to Everest after. He seemed grateful for the advice.

yellowrosedtxn
04-22-2008, 11:15 AM
Since I live in Texas and don't get to go to any of the Disney Parks that often I will share my knowledge of what I learn here with whomever will listen. This year alone I know of three families going to either Disneyland or WDW so I try to share with them things I know of to help their experience to be a better one. Half the time though, they don't listen, and do their own thing, which is ok too. But I am helping a woman at work now to plan a stay at DLR for her family during Thanksgiving week. She is frazzled already with planning so I am trying to help her weed it all through.

curtsinore
04-22-2008, 11:20 AM
I have a selling space in an boutique mall and many young mothers sell there for vacation funds. Many times I hear of first time visits to Disneyland and I suggest that they come here to read. I also suggest that they buy a guide book and prepare as though they are going on an expedition to a far away land. The responses I get make me shrug my shoulders. "Oh, were just going to Disneyland, nothing fancy" So even if advice is given, most folks are not going to follow it anyhow, hence the tired, drain looks I see on folks when riding the ART and walking around the park. The best example of sharing and how little response are the free lockers at GRR, they are always empty and folks are standing in line with all types of luggage that they don't want to get wet.

Matterhorn Yodeler
04-22-2008, 11:29 AM
I would certainly tell any friend who was planning a trip to DLR about the FP system. But, even when I first read about it here on MP, it took me a while to "master" it for my personal use. I like to end my day on Space Mountain, so I try to collect two FP's during the day for a double ride before departure.

If I were sitting next to a family who were stressed about making "the window", I would likely share the information with them. Why not add a little magic to a stranger's trip every now and then?

Jim Dear and Darling
04-22-2008, 11:36 AM
I don't tell people about the FP thing. I do tell them pretty much everything else I know though.

Niwel
04-22-2008, 11:50 AM
FP -- if I overhear them talking about it.
Closed attractions -- you have no idea how many people I saw and heard during the MA drama quest walking up to Small World who still didn't know it was down.
Closest bathrooms
Where to buy certain foods
The beauty of a kids meal
Where to get some A/C

oregontraveler
04-22-2008, 12:04 PM
Whenever I wear my pin vest, I usually get asked a few questions. I try and help out as much as I can. And point them in the right direction using 2 fingers.

DisneyDustin22
04-22-2008, 12:12 PM
It's fun to share the information. Not ALL of it, but most of it. :)

Especially with guests in the park who you can tell could use it! It's even more fun to see their recations when a non-CM offers advice or info...almost as it on the inside they're thinking, "Shoud I trust this person?"

Case in point...the FP times.

mommy-san
04-22-2008, 01:38 PM
I share the funny stuff I've read here- with my husband, all the time. Poor guy.

I share my best tips with friends who ask. The ones who take notes get the extra special tips and secrets!

People who do not take Disneyland seriously do not get any help from me!!!!

foolishmortal
04-22-2008, 01:54 PM
At my DD's school I get referred to for DL trips I share what i can and what I don't know I referr them here!

For some reason I have one of those faces that lost people look at and go "there looks like a nice person lets ask her!":rolleyes: Maybe it's because i'm short and non scary looking!:p;) So I end up helping a lot of people on our trips. Dh gets this too! I think it's beacuse of the fresno state Ag baseball cap he wears;)

My poor Boo is the lost child magnet!! they just walk up to her and grab her hand then start sniffing, so she yells at me for help and we go searching for a parent , and CM. This happens a lot on TSI around the caves!
So if you ever see a brown haired, spider legged, puppy dog eyed girl holding the hand of a distressed kid it is more then likely my sweet Boo.

BTW I just learned about the FP window you all just gave me that info!:eek: The only thing is can you use it all day?or just a hour before or after the time?:confused:
See I've been going in Nov. so we don't use them that often. I can't beleve I didn't know this after 12 trips in the last 5 years!!!!;)

If I learn anything new I share here on MP!!!

kat

MrsPooh
04-22-2008, 01:54 PM
I don't voluntarily give out info, I usually wait until someone asks.

At home that is. The office knows I'm the resident DL freak, so they come to me for advice.

In the park, I will often point out things, like Steph did with the FP, if I see it at the time.

Most of the time I don't have to chime in. MrPooh hears them and directs them to me. Like the time BTMRR was down because of the accident. Someone in line for Matterhorn was wondering why it was down. He told them the reason, and then told them to ask me for details, since I'm on MP all the time.

Guess he's proud of me. ;)

Mom does it too. When she's standing in lines talking to random strangers, she will pass on info she's heard from me, or she'll direct them to me with questions.

Pr1ncess365
04-22-2008, 02:30 PM
I told my husband about the FP thing and he doesn't believe me and is scared to try it.
Have any of you ever had a cast member not let you go in the fast pass line after the time window?

yohomama212
04-22-2008, 03:45 PM
FP -- if I overhear them talking about it.
Closed attractions -- you have no idea how many people I saw and heard during the MA drama quest walking up to Small World who still didn't know it was down.

I think I've told a dozen groups this year that IASW isn't open. They look at me like I told them their dog died. I hate breaking the news but I'd hate to see them standing at that wall with a child who just found out the bad news.

I told my husband about the FP thing and he doesn't believe me and is scared to try it.
Have any of you ever had a cast member not let you go in the fast pass line after the time window?

Nope. In fact, I've had a couple confirm it for me. Good luck!

Elizabeth

bennette
04-22-2008, 05:38 PM
I tell anyone who is going anything I think might be relevant to their group..at least up to the point I see their eyes glaze over.

And we are getting more and more comfortable going up to the confused/dazed/lost person in the park and offering help if we can. I am thinking my husband will end up working up as a CM after retirement. Apparently he has developed some kind of Disney "aura," that draws questioning guests to him (although he learned it all from me originally!).

We just told annual passholders Sunday about the FP window thing. They did not believe us initially. (Five-year passholders!) Considering the number of FP's we pick up and end up giving to strangers on our way out because we don't use them, I think the numbers manage to work themselves out.

Elizabeth

Mermaid
04-22-2008, 06:09 PM
I have overheard many people wondering where the closest bathroom is and I gladly tell them.

I don't generally share the FP rule with people, although if I give some away and they are expired I tell them "Oh, you can use them late." For some reason I haven't been giving them away lately. I am not sure why.

Of course, when people go with me, they are forced to listen to trivia and tidbits the whole time! :p

hlbtimes2
04-22-2008, 06:12 PM
I will share info with anyone that will listen. LOL!

A guy I work with is going tomorrow with his family. Their first trip! When I found that out I told him I had all kinds of info I could share with him. I typed it up for him. It ended up being 3 pages. I told him things like how important it is to be at the park before opening. Take an afternoon break. Where to get good meals and that sharing meals is a great idea. The open end on FP, etc, etc. Last year when my chiro. and his family went I did the same thing.

It makes me sad when people come back and had a horrible trip and dont want to return. If they just knew a few little things it could make a big difference in their overall experience.

curtsinore
04-22-2008, 06:55 PM
WOW!!! after reading here, it just occured to me that maybe people gave me fastpasses late at night thinking it was a joke or better yet the unused passes of one attraction sitting on the machines of a different attraction or finding them on benches because people thought they were expired!! Oh, no , I just gave a secret away, on our last trip we accumlated all the passes sitting on the machines to use as frames for our photos int he scrapbook, during the process we found about 8 useable passes that way.

PanFan
04-22-2008, 09:15 PM

Yes I do :rolleyes:

I think I've told a dozen groups this year that IASW isn't open. They look at me like I told them their dog died. I hate breaking the news but I'd hate to see them standing at that wall with a child who just found out the bad news.

I had one family get off my Storybook boat talking about going to IASW next. I told them it was closed until November for renovation. The little boy who wanted to go on it (maybe 3) went into hysterics. The mom pointed at him and rolled her eyes at me, like it was my fault. Geez, you try to help someone out!

And I can't count the number of times I've had someone say, "But I came all the way from [insert far off location here] just to ride IASW!" Then you should have planned your trip better. Read the signs people!!!

hapyg0luky
04-22-2008, 11:40 PM
At work I am known as the Disney Nut. I work at a specialty toy store and we get a lot of people coming in before their trips to get traveling toys for their little ones. As soon as one of my employees finds out that the customer is going to DL they will track me down and proceeds to tell them that I am a DL guru and that I will answer any questions that they have. BTW I have never told any of my employees to do this ;) They just know that talking about anything Disney makes me glow:D They even point out to me when a customer uses a Disney Visa card.

For some reason I have one of those faces that lost people look at and go "there looks like a nice person lets ask her!":rolleyes: Maybe it's because I'm short and non scary looking!:p;) So I end up helping a lot of people on our trips.

This happens to me all the time too! Not just at DL but anytime I go on vacation and especially at the mall. I spent a few months in Italy and I would get asked daily by tourist where things were.

I have only told very close friends and family about fast passes but the only thing that I will never ever tell anyone especially my DH are the Buzz Astro Blaster hints. I will forever rule high as the Astro Blaster Queen in my family! Muwahahahahahaaaa.

LuvPluto
04-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Oh, dare I ask? What is the FP thing:confused: I am so looking to maximize our DL trip!!!!

Drince88
04-23-2008, 10:13 AM
Oh, dare I ask? What is the FP thing:confused: I am so looking to maximize our DL trip!!!!

You can return ANY time after the start time listed on your fastpass. You do not have to return just in that hour window. So you can show up late, you just can't show up early.

pcrazy99
04-23-2008, 02:32 PM
I will share anything I learn for a small consulting fee.:D

curtsinore
04-23-2008, 03:14 PM
I was thinking the same thing last week with the fellow with the large family and his first visit. He would have been better off to hire a guide, which in turn made me think, is there a cottage industry around Disneyland that offers guide services for folks for first time visits?