PDA

View Full Version : RR/Trains, are they down?

Pages : [1] 2

Alpha1mom
09-21-2002, 05:23 AM
Hi,

Sorry, one more question>

I read somewhere that the railroad/Trains are also down, is this true?
Are they open on weekends???

This sure helps getting around the park on a hot afternoon!

Hopefully it won't be TOO hot next week, we're coming Wed. for 4 days!

tabacco
09-21-2002, 11:31 AM
No, they're rehabbing the stations and redoing parts of the track, so they're down week-round right now.

KimmyPooh
09-21-2002, 12:59 PM
Hi! I went to DL last Sunday and the railroad was closed. I don't know if it will be closed when you go though. I wasn't even aware that the railroad would be closed, but I was disappointed last Sunday.

Polar33
09-21-2002, 02:03 PM
The DLRR is indead closed for refurbishment, it is currently scheduled to reopen on Sat. 9/28 (according to the CM reference guide). They are doing a lot of work on the tracks at the stations as well as the roundhouse.

smd4
09-22-2002, 08:39 AM
Much of the track work being done is to bring the safety appliances up to OSHA standards. Full-size crossing gates are replacing the 5/8ths scale ones previously used, and the hand operated switch stands (that change the route of the track), which once used authentic Santa Fe Railway switch lanterns to indicate direction, are being replaced with more reliable automated machines such as what many modern railroads use. The work is slated to be completed around the end of the month.

Techie7
09-23-2002, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by smd4
Much of the track work being done is to bring the safety appliances up to OSHA standards. Full-size crossing gates are replacing the 5/8ths scale ones previously used, and the hand operated switch stands (that change the route of the track), which once used authentic Santa Fe Railway switch lanterns to indicate direction, are being replaced with more reliable automated machines such as what many modern railroads use. The work is slated to be completed around the end of the month.

Nothing on eBay... YET! ;)
(The work is extensive. New retaining walls are going in as well in the area!)

Uncle Dick
09-23-2002, 03:36 PM
A quick trip on the monorail gives a pretty good view of the Roundhouse area. All the tracks coming out of it were torn up last week. I also saw this cool little vehicle on the tracks behind small world that looked like a daihatsu (http://www.taylor-dunn.com/07vehiclesforyourindustry/43et3000.htm) with train wheels.

Lani
09-23-2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Polar33
The DLRR is indead closed for refurbishment, it is currently scheduled to reopen on Sat. 9/28 (according to the CM reference guide). They are doing a lot of work on the tracks at the stations as well as the roundhouse. Wow, that's only a week. I hope they get done before my next visit on the weekend of October 5! (fingers crossed). I love riding the railroad when I wanna take a break from walking.

roberts1398
09-24-2002, 10:47 AM
I know the CM guide says 9/28, but I've heard both 10/5 and the end of October indicated for when it will re-open. :( I'm gonna miss it! I so wanted to take it around the park for the first time in 12+ yrs... OH DRAT! I just realized that messes up my plans for taking the train to NOS at the end of the 1st Fantasmic show on Sat. to sneak in for the 2nd show!!! Oh blast! Now what'll I do???

peasy
09-24-2002, 02:26 PM
Good Grief. The list of closed attractions for this weekend is a mile long. Not only are two HUGE attractions closed (matterhorn and HM) but now a bunch of the classics are closed as well. Last time I'll plan a trip in October. What a joke. Do they actually expect people to pay to be there when everything is closed? Oh and ROBERTS I'm pretty sure that they close the trains during any kind of fireworks or light show displays so you wouldn't have been able to take it after Fantasmic.

Polar33
09-24-2002, 11:58 PM
I am hoping they get the work done by the 28th, but I'm not counting on it. I had some time today and took a closer look at a few of the areas they are working on and it looks like they have a lot more work to accomplish. I guess we will find out in three days.

BTW, they do run the trains during Fantasmic! and usually during Believe... (unless they have high enough winds). There are slight delays around parade times however to accomidate movement of floats.

MonorailMan
09-25-2002, 06:35 AM
While on the Monorail, I saw that all of the track going to the roundhouse was ripped out.

Also, let's hope they fix the Bulging Pavement at the Tomorrowland station. :)

KarenW2
09-25-2002, 09:33 AM
We were at DL last Saturday and while riding in the front seat of the double decker bus back to the front of the park, we asked the CM when the trains would be out of rehab. He said they HOPED they would be ready by October 4th. I said, in time for the Haunted Mansion event? He said, yes, HOPEFULLY, but he didn't seem very convinced.

We spent much less time in DL because of the trains being down and it being too crowded to walk anywhere without a huge crowd. We just left DL and spent the rest of the day playing Play It! at DCA! It was much nicer and much less crowded over there!

smd4
09-25-2002, 01:41 PM
Uncle Dick,

The little car you saw is known as a "speeder" in railroad terms. It is a small, self-propelled car that can be used to shuttle workers and supplies around the track, without haveing to fire up one of the steamers, or without having to walk.

The reason the tracks are all torn up around the roundhouse is because this is where many of the switch tracks are located--remember, the switch off the main line divides into four different tracks in the Roundhouse.

roberts1398
09-25-2002, 01:54 PM
SMD, since you seem to know a lot about this, have you any idea when it will reopen?

smd4
09-25-2002, 01:55 PM
Let me check with my Roundhouse contacts...

roberts1398
09-25-2002, 03:57 PM
Thanks, SMD ... I leave for DL day after tomorrow (9/27) and will be there thru 10/1 ... I'm hoping for a single ride sometime...

smd4
09-26-2002, 07:41 AM
Roberts1398,

One of the Roundhouse leads told me he was informed yesterday that the work will probably continue till around Oct. 28th. Obviously, just as the first date changed, this one could change as well, if work still needs to be performed as the completion date nears.

smd4
09-26-2002, 09:51 AM
Techie7 said,

Nothing on eBay... YET!

And, probably, you won't see anything.

Unlike many of the other cast members (I didn't say "ALL!"), many of the steam train cast members are actual railfans (folks who enjoy trains as a hobby). So, they enjoy their jobs at Disneyland on a slightly different level than other cast members, who often couldn't care less if Disney was getting rid of part of their attraction. My guess is, anything railroad-related of value, like switch lanterns, etc., will find their way into these collectors' hands, and not into any Disney Corporate Auctions.

Laffite
09-26-2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by smd4
Techie7 said,

And, probably, you won't see anything.

Unlike many of the other cast members (I didn't say "ALL!"), many of the steam train cast members are actual railfans (folks who enjoy trains as a hobby). So, they enjoy their jobs at Disneyland on a slightly different level than other cast members, who often couldn't care less if Disney was getting rid of part of their attraction. My guess is, anything railroad-related of value, like switch lanterns, etc., will find their way into these collectors' hands, and not into any Disney Corporate Auctions.

or maybe some may end up at your house too :D

smd4
09-26-2002, 10:28 AM
Hey hey, now!!

roberts1398
09-26-2002, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the info, SMD. Even if it doesn't open till the day we leave (10/1), I'll be happy. Just need to take my son on one spin around the park on his first trip ... how can you get the complete picture in your mind without DLRR?

Keep your fingers crossed for me! We leave tomorrow!

smd4
09-26-2002, 12:11 PM
I'm sorry Roberts, but I think you're going to be out of luck! I'm sorry if I was confusing, but the trains won't be running for at least another month! :crying:

roberts1398
09-26-2002, 02:37 PM
:crying: You weren't confusing. I just didn't read your post right. I just saw the 28th, and started getting excited. Bummer. Total bummer. Can't imagine a first trip to DL without the train. Oh well.

smd4
09-26-2002, 03:35 PM
Roberts,

I know it's not the same as the Disney trains, but I notice you're from Sacramento. Starting, I believe, Oct. 3, and running for several months at the California State Railroa Museum in Sac, will be a retrospective on Disney and his involvement with trains. You might want to check it out...