PDA

View Full Version : Favorite character interaction

Pages : [1] 2

nursechrissy32
04-21-2008, 10:07 AM
As a child...the Cinderella waving from the golden pumpkin carriage...she looked right at me and waved.

Last year, my daughter and niece we arguing about who was going to sit where as the parade route was going along....so my daughter, miss emotional (hmmm wonder where that comes from :)...starts crying... the blue fairy godmother came over to my daugher, put her hands on her face and kissed the top of her head, and told her not to cry! :) oh my gosh! how sweet! I sent a letter to Disney as soon as I got home.

Many great memories stem from character interactions...so tell me yours :)

PanFan
04-21-2008, 01:29 PM
I have a bunch, but I'll share two of my favorites. After graduating from college, my best friends and I went on a road trip from San Diego to the central coast. We stopped at DL on the way up. Over on TSI, we were enraptured with watching Huck Finn talk with the kids on the island. He was fantastic! He saw a kid with velcro shoes and said, "What happened to your laces? Did a squirrel bite them off? Once when I was sleepin' Tom tied my laces together and when I woke up I fell flat on my face!" I don't remember the specific interaction with us, but when we returned to the park the next week on our way back down we ran across him at the Hub. Maybe it's because we were wearing the same hats, but he remembered us. We asked if we could get a picture with him. He said, "Well, I'm s'posed to git home fur supper, but I don't think the Widow Douglas'd mind too much." we handed the camera off to a passerby and Huck instructed us to stay real still. Once the photo was snapped, we went back to get the camera and he was still standing there smiling. He said it couldn't be done that fast, so we showed him the picture (http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll256/Truman7205/HuckFinn.jpg). He seemed amazed that you could see it in color so quickly, then scampered off to supper.

The other favorite was after the first MA in which we were Peter's Pans. We had the pots with feathers on our heads, a picture on our shirts of Peter holding a frying pan, and green socks up to our knees. We watched POD from one of Peter's show stops and during his dance, he came over and gave us all high fives and compared socks/tights with us. It was so much fun! I guess having been a CM for a while before that and knowing Peter made it all the more fun :)

DianeM
04-21-2008, 02:46 PM
Five years ago my newly minted husband and I went to Disneyland with my brother and his family, including our then 4 year old nephew. He was a bit overwhelmed by the entire experience (he was especially scared of pirates), but we got him a light saber to scare off the pirates. We were in Fantasyland and who walked by... but Captain Hook! He got into a duel with Captain Hook, light saber v. sword. It was a classic Disney moment and we have pictures.

The other I just heard about, but it sounds special. On our latest visit, our younger nephew (4 at the time) was at Turtle Talk, and he wanted to ask a question, but got passed over. He was in tears, so my SIL asked the CM if they came back could they be sure that he got a chance to talk to Crush? They couldn't promise that, but they were able to BRING CRUSH BACK just to talk to my nephew, who had the experience of his young life: a private audience with Crush!

I think it's these kinds of things that will ensure that my nephews enjoy DL as much as my brother and I have over the years. :-)

Many great memories stem from character interactions...so tell me yours :)

Matterhorn Yodeler
04-21-2008, 02:48 PM
so we showed him the picture (http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll256/Truman7205/HuckFinn.jpg).

Huck looks like a young Woody Harrelson! Which one are you PanFan...on the left or the right?

The best Disney character interaction didn't happen at DLR. When my son was about 2, we went to a screening of classic Disney cartoons. It was his first time ever going to a movie. As we waited in the lobby to enter, Mickey appeared and took my son's hand and walked him into the theatre! He was amazed and thrilled, because Mickey was very real to him. When they got to the front of the theatre, Mickey gave him a big hug and my son just hung by him as Mickey greeted all of the other kids.

IdahoMike
04-21-2008, 06:29 PM
We've had a couple that stood out for us
January 2007 having breakfast at the Plaza Inn, my then 4 y/o son falls off his chair. Minnie is in the vicinity, notices he fell and is crying, and comes rushing over to comfort him, and give him a big kiss on the top of his head!

June 2006 in Toontown, we are milling around the Roger Rabbit area checking out the gags and such, and Chip comes out and beckons my kids over. As he is signing their books, he takes my oldest son's autograph book, and proceeds to try and stuff it in the mailbox. After about 5 minutes going round and round with my son, Chip decides that it isn't a good idea, and hugs my boys, and moves on to the next family. Both times we felt really special, just because it was more than just waiting in line to get a pic and a signature, they really went out of their way to show us attention, and it was appreciated.

Wendi
04-21-2008, 08:26 PM
Max had been nervous around the big fuzzies for a while, he was in love with the princesses, and liked the face characters, but didn't want to interact with the big guys. He was OK to watch them from a short distance, but would get really shy and hide his face if they approached him.

So, we were having breakfast at Storyteller's Cafe and Kenai came over and started to have a slow interaction with Max. He could see that Max was nervous, but he worked his way over in a gentle way and ended up sitting next to Max in the booth and hugging all over him and having a fantastic non-verbal conversation with him that lasted for quite some time and had Max giggling and smiling from the moment he got that big bear hug. As soon as Kenai left the table, Max just beamed at me and excitedly proclaimed, "Mommy, I'm not afraid of the characters anymore!!!" It was priceless.

PanFan
04-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Huck looks like a young Woody Harrelson! Which one are you PanFan...on the left or the right?

I'm on the right. That was in 2004, but I haven't changed much :p

Dakota784
04-22-2008, 10:15 AM
What a great topic! I think for me, it was watching my then-4-year old son's delight with all of the Princesses during lunch at Ariel's grotto. The pure joy on his face as he got to hug and visit with Cinderella was priceless!

Our then 18-month-old daughter also had a wonderful interaction with Buzz Lightyear during that same trip. She was very leary of all of the characters, but she had her eye on Buzz at the Tomorrowland Terrace. He could tell she was not sure about him, so he waved from a distance, then he danced with her from a distance. Finally, she got brave enough to approach him almost up close. She was thrilled and has had a huge Buzz crush ever since. :)

mistofviolets
04-22-2008, 10:54 AM
All of them have been great! Let's see...extra special...

1) Tigger. My then 4 y/o was terrified to talk to anyone, but wanted to get autographs. We brought colorwonder paper and pens. This led to some very magical interactions with several characters (I loved the Fairy Godmother's response "It's magic! But, this isn't MY magic!") Anyways, Tigger can't talk, but he was very impressed. So he tried to show his handler. Who was hot, cranky and clueless. Tigger was decorating the page like crazy, hopping to and fro, dancing, gesturing, dd was not sure if she was amused or scared. Finally the handler "got" what Tigger was trying to show him (Magic paper! Doesn't stain my hands!) And suddenly Tigger became very gentle, quiet and slow moving to hand the paper back to dd without startling her, and she gave him the biggest hug. It was delightful, as if she'd really been pulled into the 100 acre woods. :P

2) Aurora: On our last trip we met with Aurora at PFF. The handlers were gently, but definitely trying to hurry things along, and my battery unexpectedly died! No warning. I tried without much hope to get the battery changed in time. Alas, the handler went to lead dd away, and Aurora looked up and saw that I was frantically fixing my camera. She grabbed dd's hand and said something more, engaging her just long enough for me to finish loading the new battery and snap the photo. Dd was happy for the extra discussion time, and I love the pic I got :)

mommy-san
04-22-2008, 01:56 PM
This year my husband and I spent the evening of my birthday without the kids (who were out enjoying DL with the grandparents). We went to Blue Bayou, did a few rides and then settled in for the parade. We were sitting on the back of the concrete benches by the bathrooms in Fantasyland. I was wearing my birthday button, and had no kids with us- I got so much attention! The characters with the grand marshall vehicle, Tink and the others fairies, Belle, and more all blew kisses and said Happy Birthday. But my favorite was Peter Pan. He waved and said Happy Birthday but at the show stop he came and talked to me and gave me a big hug. I felt like such a teenager- blushing over a hug from Peter Pan. But it made my day!! And he remembered us the next night, too. Don't tell my hubbie- but I think Peter and i shared a 'moment'.

Aurora2008
04-22-2008, 05:55 PM
We took our son (4) and daughter (7) to meet Mary Poppins and Bert. We were the last ones in line, and were having a great picture taken with them, when my son decides to stick out his tongue during the pic. MP gave the most astonished, "OH! I. beg. your. pardon!" Bert thought it was great and started sticking his tongue out too!

Mermaid
04-22-2008, 06:58 PM
I don't usually stop to see the characters, but we had two really fun interactions when we were there for MA.

1) We ran into the penguins from Mary Poppins at the well. There were 3 of them. There was no-one there with them so we went to get our pictures taken! My sister was wearing a shirt that said "Hug a Tree." One of the penguins pointed at her and went over and started hugging the tree. It was really funny!

2) We were standing outside Toon Town City Hall working a quest when some music started going off. My sister said "Uh, oh, I think some characters are coming." I ignored her in my MA trance. Sure enough like 6 characters came out, including Minne. She came up to us and wanted to see our clipboard. We told her we were counting the coins or something and she scratched her head and was like "I don't know" and started looking over things, trying to "help." It was really cute. Then we were surrounded by dozens of parents and their autograph books, so we let Minnie attend to her fans!:D
P.S. MA Staff- Minnie only has 4 fingers, she was no help. No help at all. :D

Malcon10t
04-22-2008, 07:22 PM
I'm on the right. That was in 2004, but I haven't changed much :pLooks a lot like Karen on the left. Is it?

PanFan
04-22-2008, 09:20 PM
2) We were standing outside Toon Town City Hall working a quest when some music started going off. My sister said "Uh, oh, I think some characters are coming." I ignored her in my MA trance. Sure enough like 6 characters came out, including Minne. She came up to us and wanted to see our clipboard. We told her we were counting the coins or something and she scratched her head and was like "I don't know" and started looking over things, trying to "help." It was really cute. Then we were surrounded by dozens of parents and their autograph books, so we let Minnie attend to her fans!:D
P.S. MA Staff- Minnie only has 4 fingers, she was no help. No help at all. :D

A couple of years ago we had Geppetto try to help us out on a quest. We were trying to tell him we couldn't have help but he kept trying to give us the answer (it was a bonus quest about Indiana Jones and the year it opened). He indicated "1995" but we didn't believe him and put something else :rolleyes:

Looks a lot like Karen on the left. Is it? Yep! She hasn't changed much either :)

Mermaid
04-22-2008, 10:03 PM
LOL about Geppetto! Yeah, since Minnie was so obviously not going to be able to help us, we played along with her! Even then, we were thinking "I hope that didn't look bad!" :D

The Evil Queen
04-23-2008, 10:26 AM
It was my son's annual birthday trip and we were eating dinner at Ariel's Grotto - I think he was turning 6. He was SO tired from walking around all day and was just pooped. We saw the usual princesses, and he wasn't impressed (as most little boys are) until Snow White came along and planted a great big kiss on his cheek.

Boy! Did he perk up! Now is turning 8 and everytime we see Snow White, he gets a little shy...

That same trip, we were waiting for the Parade of Dreams and we had a wonderful experience with a cast memeber. I think his name was "Alex". What a kind hearted person...he noticed that my son was getting bored and he made the extra effort to chat with him and pass the time quicker. :)

KDCartoons
04-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Our August 2006 trip to DL gave my family some priceless character memories.

Notably Cruella D Ville.
We were passing through the Main Street area, just outside of the Firehall and Cruella came out from the backstage area in her usual whirlwind.
( I think the Firehall band might have been there playing at the time and she was just picking up off them).
Cruella was looking for someone to model "her latest fashions"......and she picked out my oldest step-son from the small crowd.
Now, my boy is a natural ham, and what followed drew a crowd and HUGE laughs. He mugged it up with Cruella, both of them taking their cues from each other--the gal was spot on. We got pics and had a big chuckle from it...and passersby were patting my boy on the back for their smile-of-the-day.

The other ones were photo ops with Pluto and Mickey.
With Pluto it was in Toontown, and a rough crowd surrounding him. Lots of pushing and pulling...and my youngest step-son wanted a pic with him.
My wife waited patiently, and at the right time, waved to Pluto--caught his eye. He walked right past some other folks and stood close for the pics--made my lil guys day.

The one that moved me the most though was the main Mouse himself, Mickey.
We'd just made our way into the park, still in Mains Street Square and a number of characters came out from backstage for the greet. Mickey Donald, Minney etc. Unlike the meet in Toontown, this was was astonishinly organized. Everyone formed into lines and waited their turn.
Took us about 10 minutes to get to the front, but Mickey motioned my smiling lil' guy to him, got the pics and a autograph.
I teared up, because for me......that's THE character to get a pic with. Made my day and the whole trip in fact--its the raison d'etre for the visit, that special kind of experience you cannot get anywhere else.

The boys had a later run-in with Jack Sparrow, and managed to get that flighty guy still enough for a pic too--another coup for them.

For me, watching the expressions of young kids as they are surprised by a character they recognize is just amazing to watch. Their eyes light up, their faces beam wonder and awe....its the very essence of what Walt set out to achieve at work.

dkthepainter
04-28-2008, 11:26 AM
2004 marked the third time that I had been to DL, and the first time to DCA. The previous two times were years prior, and I had forgotten how much of a Disney fan I am (the cardinal sin, I know). After all, if you'd asked me, as a child, what I intended on being when I grew up, I would've proudly stated "I'm gonna' work for Disney, making cartoons" (I still dream of that job sometimes. Maybe when I grow up...). Needless to say that trip rekindled my inner imagination. Like "KDcartoons" I too had a run in with Cruella de Ville. After bumping in to her and blurting out something off the top of my head ("Your my idol", I think it was) she grabbed me by the arm (as my dumbfounded friends stood there looking), orchestrated a "Fashion Show", and made me walk a makeshift runway, after approving of my height, and overall look. It was surreal, and I will always look back at it as my re-initiation into the world famous (but completely unofficial) Disneyland fan club.
I have since become an AP an frequent the parks as often as I possibly can.

ginap73
05-07-2008, 08:26 PM
I may be laughed at but

I have always been afraid of characters ever since an encounter with a ugly mouse/rat at the mall when i was like 2, Scared the life out of me.

So all disneyland trips were spent fearing any characters minus the people ones like mary poppins and snow white..etc.. Certain family members loved to see me afraid and would push me in front of the characters or try and pull me towards them just to get a reaction out of me.. So I spent most my years at disneyland afraid of the characters.

here I am last month in april 2 months before I turn 35 and I get off the winnie the pooh ride and there's the characters in the meet and greet section. I went and stood there and got a nice picture of Tigger and then went around and got one of Eeyore... just then pooh and the handler leave and walk by me.. I turned for a sec and thought they had passed but, nope I was face to face with pooh 5 ft away....

I just stood there looking at him and realized I was not afraid like i had been when I was little.. hopefully someday i can get a photo with one of them.

Jim Dear and Darling
05-08-2008, 08:30 AM
My favorite character interaction was at Goofy's Kitchen. I was sitting at the table while the rest of my party was going back for seconds, and The Mad Hatter and Alice sat down at my table and had a "tea party" with me. They were at the table for several minutes. It was great.

MoKat72
05-08-2008, 11:29 AM
A few years back, my husband and I waited in line to go through the Main Gate at park opening, just for a change from always taking the Monorail. Mickey was standing in front of his flower mural, all dolled up in his tux to greet the guests as they entered the park.

Most people didn't even notice him and raced toward the tunnels to get to Main Street to line up for rope drop. As a result, there was only about a dozen people near him when we got through the gates. I got a nice big hug and my husband got a nice hearty handshake (he's too manly to hug teenage girls in mouse suits, I guess ;) ).

I can't think of a better way to start a day at Disneyland than a hug from the boss. :)

Soomojogrl
05-09-2008, 01:55 AM
One I remember the most was back in September 2001 and with the Queen of Hearts, Alice and Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. We ran into the Queen of Hearts and got a photo and autograph. Of course she couldnt speak but stalked my Mom and I as we walked down the path for quite a while. When we would turn around she would make gestures and keep walking after us. It was creepy but fun at the same time. I was wearing those fur atenna things on my head and the Tweedles pretended to be scared of me as I walked by them, they made a huge deal and Alice called out "They think your an alien! But I think they are cute!" Being a 13 year old I was embarrassed but when I think about it now it makes me smile!

I have also had great memories with Pluto and Donald Duck who wrote a personal note to my ailing grandfather who loved Donald.

olegc
05-09-2008, 01:02 PM
I have two.
about 5 years ago my younger brother and I (adults mind you) were inthe park during the holidays. We went to Critter Country and stood line to take photos. well, we were shoulder to shoulder with Tigger and our arms around each other - and as the CM counted down to the photo Tigger JUMPED in the air into our arms - we hald to hold up his legs while the CM took the photo. It was spot on and centered, good flash, perfect. Very funny and memorable moment.

The other is taking my youngest son when he was 3 in February and having him meet characters on Mainstreet with a very empty Town Square. His falling into the cushy lap of Eeyore was priceless.

leota's necklace
05-09-2008, 05:25 PM
I have so many memories of great interactions with characters!

I like to watch the characters as they interact with others. I also love to watch them just as they step onstage -- they are already very much in character and often do things that are just perfect. For example, as I sat in Ariel's waiting for my lunch, I saw Minnie round the corner and prepare to step onstage. I was the only person who could see her at that point and she paused to check her reflection in a window, then patted herself down and fluffed her dress, and straightened the bow in her hair, then blew her reflection a little kiss and skipped onstage. Priceless.

One day I watched as Snow White and her stepmother worked a meet and greet together, the whole while working off each other seamlessly and perfectly in character. At one point a tiny tot -- maybe three years old? -- stepped away from Snow White and looked at the Queen with a mischevious gleam; before Snow could chirp "Oh! No no no!" he had rushed to the Queen and thrown himself around her knees in a hug. The look of shock on the Queen's face made the crowd roar, and even Snow had to stifle a giggle behind her hand.

During one birthday trip I found myself riding the Carrousel with Bert, Mary Poppins, and three Penguins. We had a fox hunt. I was the fox, because of my red hair :)

But my favorite interaction was with a CM who stayed completely in character. My husband and I were the last ones in the elevator right before the Haunted Mansion closed for the night. As we stepped into the Hallway, a Butler loomed behind me and tapped me on the shoulder, hoping to frighten me. Instinctively, I help out my arms, and without another word we swept down the hall in a perfect, whirling waltz. At the Busts, he bowed deeply and silently, and was gone. Too, too perfect, and something I will always remeber with a smile. :)

kiki
05-09-2008, 07:09 PM
I remember one good one:

So 2000 was the first year of our annual DL vacation. My cousin Paige was two going on three and was and still is IN LOVE with Minnie Mouse. So we went to ToonTown when it first opened up in the morning and made a b line to Minnie's House. We did the walk thru of the house and she loved it. There was no one in the house but us:D. So after we played all in the house, we went to the wishing well to take pictures, but Minnie was not there. So of course Paige was a bit upset so we had her listen to the well which kinda lifted her spirits. Maybe about five minutes later, Minnie snuck up behind us. So the other three girls screamed and hugged Minnie while Paige kinda stayed back. I guess she was expecting Minnie to be her size. But as soon as Minnie saw her, she bent down and gave her a hug. Paige just melted in Minnie's arms and gave her a kiss on the nose. Minnie just fell in love her and followed us around ToonTown for about 20 minutes holding Paiges hand the hole time. I remember Minnie told me that she loved Paige( of course not speaking but motioning) The handler was so nice that she let us have like nearly 30 min of alone time with Minnie while we were at ToonTown.
That is my all time favorite character interaction.