PDA

View Full Version : Favorite rides and first experience

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

MinnieManda
04-20-2008, 04:43 PM
I thought it would be fun to hear about first experiences and favorite rides from all the people who have been to both Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure!:D

I can't remeber the first time I went to Disneyland because I was like 2 or 3. But from what I do remember, my favorite ride is probably Splash Mountain all because of the drops. I'm more of a "here for thrill" person than a "smooth sailing" person!:D lol but what ever. I also like to sit in the front because I like to get wet and everything. That is why I have to say that Splash Mountain is my FAVORITE ride at Disneyland!!!!

My favorite ride at Disney's California Adventure is probably California Screamn' because I love thrills!!! Upside is way more fun than 2 miles an hour boat rides!! lol jkjkjkjk!!!!! The back is the funnest(if that's a word) place to sit because you get all the action and what not back there.

I'm so happy there is a Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure!!! (I did not forget about the other theme parks don't worry!!!;))

You can also talk about the other parks if you have only been to the other ones!!

Malcon10t
04-20-2008, 05:07 PM
My first ride? No clue. But I know we did Pirates on the first trip. Pirates had just opened. My biggest memory of my first trip, getting burned by a cigarette watching the fireworks.

Favorite in DL? Peter Pan? Pirates?

DCA? Soarin or TOT.

Mrs Mouse
04-20-2008, 05:38 PM
My first visit to Disneyland was just after my 18th birthday and I went with my then-boyfriend (now fiance) and his family. It was such an amazing time and I was instantly hooked the second I walked under the train station. I remember tearing up and thinking to myself that it was everything that I had imagined it would be, and so much more.

Our first ride on that trip (and every trip since) was Pirates. I honestly could not say why, it's just become something of a tradition with us - one that we intend to continue when we visit WDW this summer for our honeymoon.

My favorite ride is a tough call. I absolutely love Splash Mountain, for the thrills, the detail and the story-line. But I also love the Matterhorn, because it is such a classic. My favorite part of the park itself is definitely Main Street, because I love how it just envelopes you the second you walk in. The sounds, the smells, the architecture - it's amazing how it transports you to a different time and place.

Faves in DCA are California Screamin' (though we absolutely must sit in the front seat), Soarin', because of the detail and Monsters Inc. just because I'm such a huge fan of the movie.

Great thread! :)

MinnieManda
04-20-2008, 05:50 PM
thanks and love the stories

I've been to Disneyland alot of times and im only in my teens and every time we go we stay for 5 days and I never get to go on everything because we run out of time.
My madre (Katran) said that we are probably going to get annual passes for the 5 of us!!!:D

kiki
04-20-2008, 06:08 PM
OMG!!! I don't remember my first time at Disneyland since I was about 10 months old, but I do remember riding Dumbo like 5 times in a row when I was like 3 or 4 y/o. At that time it and Peter Pan were my two favorite rides. And I do remember seeing Captain EO 3 times in a row when I was 7 y/o (Michael Jackson was/is one my favorite artist).

Now my favorite ride is a tie between Indie and Splash

At DCA its a three way between Screamin, Soarin and ToT

Glass Slipper
04-20-2008, 06:19 PM
My first visit to Disneyland was when I was 12, almost 13 (way back in 1977)! :eek: I remember absolutely loving Fantasyland and Tomorrowland! That was when the Peoplemover and the Skyway were still around, and I always loved those two "transportation rides", along with the Monorail!

Today my favorite ride in DL is Splash Mountain (followed closely by It's A Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, and believe it or not, Casey Jr.!) :)

In DCA my favorite is Soarin' (and I'm one of the very few who loves Golden Dreams and the Orange Stinger!)

MinnieManda
04-20-2008, 06:34 PM
out of the many times i've been to Disneyland, i've only been on Casey Jr. once. I was a monkey. lol

Sarah B in SD
04-20-2008, 06:47 PM
My first trip was January 1981, it was my sisters first birthday, I was 4. We had just immigrated from England in September of 1980. We had a little party with a cake in the Plaza Gardens, I believe they used to do a cake with the Matterhorn on it, we celebrated many birthdays there.
Since I grew up in San Diego I would say between family trips, Girl Scout trips (scout house anyone?) and friend trips, I always went 2-3 times a year. Now I get to take my son, my Sister and her daughter and Dad still tags along atl east once every other year or so...Mom passed away, so have the Grandma's, but being in the park just holds so many special memories for me, it truly is the happiest place on earth...

Favorite Ride...

1. Big Thunder, sitting between my Mom and Aunt, thinking it was so cool they would ride, and feeling pretty cool myself, it's still one of my favorites...

JackandSally101
04-20-2008, 08:14 PM
I am only almost a teenager and I have been to Disneyland over 50 times! It is my fave place on the planet! My first time there was when I was like 9 months and my mom says the 1st ride I went on was Dumbo. But now my fave ride in D-land is Indie, Big Thunder, and HM! <3 them! My faves in DCA are Soarin, River Rapids, and CA Screamin'! I HEART DISNEYLAND!!!!!!!:D:D:D

illnevergrowup
04-20-2008, 08:23 PM
My first trip to the Most Magical Place on Earth wasn't until I was 25 yrs old. 4th of July week-end 1976! And in spite of the heat, the unbelievable crowds, and the relative I was traveling with being ill, it was still the best vacation I had ever had. I fell in love with DL and I have more than made up for my childhood deprivation by taking my children many, many times. And now I am planning my granddaughter's 1st trip to see Mickey in November! Can't wait!

I think Pirates was my first favorite, though I was, and continue to be, amazed by the creativity and attention to detail that touches everything Disney. Indiana Jones is my current favorite, as well as ToT in DCA, though my kids tell me I only go to DLR to eat and shop!

I would have to add that people-watching has always been high on my list of favorite things to do at Disneyland. Especially watching the children at parades and with characters.

Katran
04-21-2008, 06:27 AM
My first trip to Disneyland was when I was six. My biggest memory of that trip is having to be carried off HM because I was too scared, and that was before we even made it to the Doom Buggies, lol!

Ironically, HM now ties POTC for my favorite ride.

lizziemcguire76
04-21-2008, 07:53 AM
My first trip to Disneyland was when I was eleven and i remember waiting in line for over 45 minutes for our first ride which was Rocket Rods. Now it's become sort of a tradition with us to go on the Railroad as our first ride of the trip. I would have to say that my favorite rides in Disneyland would be Peter Pan's Flight, Big Thunder Moutain Railroad, Splash Mountain, and Pirates. But of course i have soo many favorites that it's hard to narrow it down to a few And in DCA my two favorites would be Grizzly River Run and Soarin but once again it's hard to narrow it down to just two.

DianeM
04-21-2008, 08:13 AM
I don't remember my first visit, because I was just under 2 at the time. My mother tells me that when we left I was crying "More Disneyland! More Disneyland!". We visited pretty much annually when I was a kid, and my earliest memories are of being afraid of the "waterfall" on POTC and of dinner at the Polynesian Terrace - oh, and of waiting in line for everything for a long time, and trying to use up all of our "E" tickets.

My favorite DL ride is POTC. It's pure "Disney". I love the fast rides, but I tend to prefer the "Disney Magic" events - POTC, IASW, Tiki Room. I loved America Sings and Bear Country Jamboree and People Mover and Adventures through Inner Space.

My favorite DCA ride is ... TOT. It combines the thrill ride fun with a cool story. I like the TOT at WDW better, though. It has a better set-up. But my 2nd favorite is Soarin, which is pure Disney magic.

I thought it would be fun to hear about first experiences and favorite rides from all the people who have been to both Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure!:D

IdahoMike
04-21-2008, 08:13 AM
My first trip was 1979, I was 8. Don't have a clue what the first ride was, but my best memories involve Space Mountain and the Matterhorn. The line for Space ran clear back to where the Star Tours entrance is! When we rode the Matterhorn, I slid so far down in my seat that the seatbelt was around my neck when the ride was over!

Favorite Rides today: Oh, there are so many. for DCA it is Soarin' and Screamin' For DL, I can't really say what is my favorite, I love Space, Matterhorn, Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Indy, Pirates, Peter Pan, Splash.

It is easier to say what is not my favorite, which is IASW (still ride it once every trip, other than this year)

HisKid
04-21-2008, 08:25 AM
I have memories as a child of standing in long lines in super heat for space and potc. The feeling when you were FINALLY up to the beginning of the line, and got inside in the cooler air (and with potc, the humidity) was wonderful. I always loved potc, btmrr, teacups, and hm. I also loved the people mover, and inner space. Also, the feeling of driving a car as a child was amazing, lol.

Considering how close we lived, I find it odd that we didn't come more often. I don't remember ever coming with just my family, it was only when relatives came into town (same for knott's, sea world, etc.)

I just realized that since we got ap's 2 mo. ago, my kids have already been to DL more than I did in my whole life up to that point, and I have lived 20 min. away from DL since I was 4.

nursechrissy32
04-21-2008, 10:01 AM
My first trip to DLand, I was 11. It was a bittersweet trip. My uncle had cancer and his daughter age 5, my sister age 6 and I went to spend this very special, last memory I had with my uncle Jack. I remember dancing in the street with the performers, they picked people from the crowd to hold on to strings from this pole and we danced in circles...it was the first time in my life that I felt like a princess, my uncle was sitting at the sideline in his wheelchair, smiling at us girls...dancing in the middle of main street. I remember the light show, at that time going down main street...I remember the Cinderella looking directly at me and waving...again another one of those great Disney moments that I cherished and still do to this day...the magic that performers give to people...it is an everlasting memory.

My uncle passed away about 3 weeks after we came back from Disneyland. I have about 3 pictures from that weekend. I believe that we stayed at the Jolly Roger...we ate bologne sandwiches in the back of the truck, we didnt care that we got to chose only one gift before we got to go home...mine was a minnie mouse head balloon. I did not realize as a child, that the most important thing that I would take away from Disneyland, would be the cherished spot it would hold in my heart for the place that made my very sick uncle smile, and laugh at the joy he saw in the faces of his "favorite nieces and daughter." As minnie mouse headed balloons slowly deplete of air, and get lost in the moves...those memories stand solid in the hearts of our family.

The second time I would return to Disneyland as an adult. Bringing my husband for his first trip, my 12 year old son, and 6 year old daughter. The tears, as I read another reader post...hit me right as I walked into main street and continued on from there. To my surprise, my daugher wanted...of course, a minnie head balloon...on our third night of Disneyland bliss, to my suprise and wonder...the light parade was showing in DCA! I cried through this parade, and laughed at the silly noises made by the snail/electric like creatures...and when the lighted Cinderella waved at my daughter.....

Disneyland becomes a part of our lives. As children fantasy becomes reality, and as adult this fantasy is reality only when we realize that we had to save a year to pay for it...but ask each of us here on MP, we will tell you...it is well worth it. One week a year (two if we are lucky), is not only well deserved but is responsible for creating a lifetime of memories, that will be cherished..forever and ever.

(Cinderella wave here)

Thanks for the post topic :)

Mrs Mouse
04-21-2008, 10:34 AM
Okay Nursechrissy, now I'm crying! What a fantastic story - thanks for sharing! :)

MermaidHair
04-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Okay Nursechrissy, now I'm crying! What a fantastic story - thanks for sharing! :)

Me too! Nursecrhrissy - that was a great story and you wrote it so well. Save that post in a file on your computer somewhere just to have. Well said.

My earliest memories of Disneyland probably come from pictures. I went when I was 3 or 4 with my family and there are pics of me, my sister and dad on the Tea Cups and Dumbo. Also with Captain Cook. Mom must have been the photographer!

If you had asked me my favorite rides 10 years ago I would have said Pirates and Space Mountain. Now, I have to add BTMRR to the list. It is a new fav. In DCA, Soarin and Screamin are my favs. I can't wait to share them with my kids. DS is now tall enough for most of the rides and DD is now brave enough and tall enough for all of them. Hooray!

Pr1ncess365
04-21-2008, 12:41 PM
I can't remember my first ride since pictures show I was too young to remember, but I do love Pirates. As a parent I love Casey train because I see the joy in my 21 months olds face while we ride it. We wait to ride until we can get the last car where a mini streering wheel is. He loves the wind hitting his face.

Yesterday we had a chance to go to Disneyland and he took a picture with Pinochio. What almost made me cry was that it was the same exact pose I had taken with Pinochio when I was his age. I didn't realize it until after I took it. Pinochio got on one knee to be at his eye level and they were looking directly at each other. It was priceless. Just wait until I show my mom.
Some people don't understand why I love Disneyland so much. That picture will expalin a thousands reasons. I want my children to experience the same joy and wonder I did.

Matterhorn Yodeler
04-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Nursechrissy, put me on the list of misty-eyed fans of your post. A beautiful story!

My first experience at DL would have been in the early '60's. My favorite ride was the monorail. I couldn't wait for them to be all over Los Angeles! I'm still waiting...Even though we lived close, we only went to DL every other year or so. No doubt cost and parental exhaustion after a long week of work were the reasons why. But it just made every trip that much more special.

Next favorite ride was...all of the "new" Tomorrowland of the late '60's. Circle Vision Theatre, Inner Space, Rocket to Mars, Carousel of Progress (don't forget the City of Tomorrow upstairs), People Mover, Rocket Jets, Monorail, Submarine, Skyway, Tomorrowland Terrace where the whole stage lifted up out of the ground! It was all so wonderfully integrated too, with the People Mover weaving through other rides, moving sidewalks to get you up to the People Mover, gantry elevators to get you to the Rocket Jets, the paths of the Monorail and People Mover taking you over the lagoon, and the aerial view of it all from the Skyway. As a designed land, I think this was Imagineering at its pinnacle.

All time favorite ride: Pirates. Best integration of theme, story telling, thrills and immersive environment.

Favorite at DCA: Soarin', a spectacular combination of thrills and show presentation.

mistofviolets
04-22-2008, 11:09 AM
My first trip I was 3.

I remember clearly standing in line for Small World. (But not so clearly the ride) I loved Pirates. I reached out and touched the water to see if it was real. It was :P And I hated our last ride of the day, that had no seat belts, was over crowded and my balloon came floating out of my hand and off into the distance...Later learned it was called the "parking tram". I never wanted to go on *that* one again. LOL.

My favorite ride is Peter Pan. Even if the line is a jillion miles long.

Katran
04-22-2008, 11:46 AM
And I hated our last ride of the day, that had no seat belts, was over crowded and my balloon came floating out of my hand and off into the distance...Later learned it was called the "parking tram". I never wanted to go on *that* one again. LOL.

Ha ha, too funny! I hate it when little kids lose their balloons though. It makes me sad. :(

tokarrai
04-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Let's see...I don't have many childhood memories of DL...having grown up in the midwest, WDW was my family's vacation spot.

I initially came out here in May of 2000, to finalize employment and living arrangements before I moved out here in July of that year. That week, I met my now wife, and we hit DL.

My favorite ride, because of that trip, is King Arthur's Carousel. I have a picture....just the sheer joy on her face....wearing her Sorcerer's Mickey hat, clutching the light up rose that I surprised her with.....it's my favorite memory of the trip, and my favorite picture of my baby doll.

T

MinnieManda
04-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Awesome stories guys lol! I cna't wait till my next trip.

Malcon10t
04-25-2008, 07:55 PM
Favorite adult memories? Riding Autopia with my niece at age 4 on her first trip to Dland, and having her look at me in total awe as I told her to get behind the wheel, and she told me "My mommy NEVER lets me drive!!!"

Another one, same niece, same trip as we got off Space Mountain, the look on her face as she told me "That was NOT fun!"