PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Safety - and a question of doughnuts

justagrrl
09-20-2002, 07:39 AM
We've been on grizzly a few times (okay - quite a few times) and I've wondered each time, how long until someone walks off the "deck" and falls in the water in between the rafts? I'm always afraid one of my kids will lose their balance or trip or something.

And another grizzly question - as you enter the turning deck area - there is a sign posted that says "no doughnuts - no ride" or something like that. I know it's about doughnuts. I'm curious if that's a rafting sort of thing where people traditionally bring doughnuts or is that a CM/disney sort of thing added for fun? or something else?

bluepearl
09-20-2002, 12:25 PM
I don't know the actual story behind the sign, but when I first spotted it months ago, I thought it was pretty funny. I imagine it's a joke of some sort? It made me think of the stories I read about how the parking kids would joke around with guests about exchanging food for the parking fee.

driftwood714
09-20-2002, 08:56 PM
What's good to know is that the CMs stop the loading zone frequently. If somewhere were to fall in the water, they'd probably just stop the spinning turntable so they can get the Guest out. Not sure if it's ever happened, but it doesn't seem like a huge deal if they stop the turntable. Luckily those rafts don't go ANYWHERE when the turntable is stopped... Perhaps a Golden State CM could elaborate?

mrcoffee
09-20-2002, 09:41 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by justagrrl
[B]We've been on grizzly a few times (okay - quite a few times) and I've wondered each time, how long until someone walks off the "deck" and falls in the water in between the rafts? I'm always afraid one of my kids will lose their balance or trip or something.
[QUOTE]

Uh oh.. Don't let a Disney lawyer hear your concerns.. But don't worry, Tom Sawyer island will be safe very soon..

Ghoulish Delight
09-20-2002, 10:40 PM
My guess for the donuts...an "insider" rafting term for life preservers of some sort. Just a guess, but it makes sense considering the context.

haiderodes
09-20-2002, 10:59 PM
GRR is an Intamin Rapids ride. I used to be an operator on Grand Canyon Rapids here at MGM Grand (back when it was open). It was also an Intamin Ride.

The turntable can be stopped either from the main control tower or from the turn table itself with the push of a button. It is not suggested to stop it for two long as boats can back up causing an e-stop (all the water goes bye-bye). To restart the turntable the controls op has to press reset, turtable start, and start acknowledge which is a pain....

Our ride was a bit different and maybe Disney has an updated system. Our lift was at the start of the ride, right next to the turntable so we also had what is called a quick stop which stops the turntable, lift, and geysers (dont ask why) for 40 seconds. If it isnt reset in that time then an e-stop will occur as a saftey (assuming the problem took too long to fix.

As for people falling into the water i have seen it happen and we were told to hit the e-stop reguardless. The water is only about a foot deep at the turntable, but drops substantially afterward. Evacuating a rapids ride isnt that fun as you have to wait until the water is gone (the people have to stay seated). Then you have to walk the people through the flume.

justagrrl
09-22-2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by mrcoffee
[QUOTE]Originally posted by justagrrl
[B]We've been on grizzly a few times (okay - quite a few times) and I've wondered each time, how long until someone walks off the "deck" and falls in the water in between the rafts? I'm always afraid one of my kids will lose their balance or trip or something.
[QUOTE]

Uh oh.. Don't let a Disney lawyer hear your concerns.. But don't worry, Tom Sawyer island will be safe very soon..

Please don't pigeon-hole me into some little group in your mind. I've got fond memories of Tom Sawyer Island and my kids, who've been only a few times, are very sorry to see it "go"...for lack of a better word.

I have to admit - I'm offended to be put into the blame-disney-for-lack-of-parental-supervision group so please - don't put me in it. I don't see how asking such a question should put me there either. It comes from the experience of having my 7 year old get a bit disoriented as she got off first, and then turned around for me and my 4 year old to get off. She nearly walked the wrong direction and in another foot or two would have been in the water. Is this due to my negligence in some way? No. It's due to being 7, being on a moving platform in an exciting area after having ridden a favorite ride and being sopping wet. It made her a little disoriented and in no way should reflect on my quality of parenting.

sheesh.

Pixie Glitter
09-22-2002, 05:49 PM
justagrrl,

I didn't take his comment that way at all. . . . I think he was just making a joke about how paranoid the Disney lawyers are, as in, "Don't let the Disney lawyers hear you say that, or we might have another Splash Mountain-type rehab mess."

Just my two cents.

justagrrl
09-23-2002, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by Pixie Glitter

I didn't take his comment that way at all. . . .

Okay - maybe it was just me being sensitive then. If so, hey, my bad. ;)

hbquikcomjamesl
09-23-2002, 07:57 AM
I think we can safely assume the reference to donuts does not have anything to do with what one sits on if one has hemorrhoids.:p