PDA

View Full Version : Adios, Arriba Y Arriba!

Pages : [1] 2

Allysen1Derland
09-19-2002, 03:00 PM
Ooh! Ooh! Scoop!

My wondeful guy Best Friend, who happens to be a Disney Resort CM, and a fellow MP'er who goes by the name Hades, just informed me that Arriba Y Arriba at DTD is closed!

He said there is a sign on the door informing of a new place coming to that location!

Anybody got the 411 on what happened? Or what may be going in there?

We never even got the chance to go there! (were we missing anything??) :confused:

Thanks, y'all!

~Ally~ ;)

Gemini Cricket
09-19-2002, 03:07 PM
When I went there in October 2001, the service was horrible, the food was worse and we were the only ones there at lunch time.

The place looked incredibly understaffed and its closure came as no surprise to me.

The decor was eyecatching, but the whole experience was lacking.

You're not missing much if you haven't been.

innerSpaceman
09-19-2002, 03:38 PM
Word was that this was the WORST restaurant in DTD. Hence, I never went* and am looking forward to ANYTHING being its replacement. From what I have heard, we cannot do any worse.

* Heck, the Mouse Pubbers never even drank there!

Kevin Yee
09-19-2002, 03:42 PM
Sure. Bankruptcy. I reported that it was coming several months ago - they were already in bankruptcy court - but they hung on far longer than I would have thought :)

AVP
09-19-2002, 03:42 PM
I was speaking with someone who knows today, and he said that there are a number of companies looking at the space.

Personally, I'm hoping for either a Puck or Mondavi venue, since neither of them really got a fair shake in DCA. Cuisine-wise, I think we could stand California Chinese (maybe P.F. Changs???), a decent burger joint, or a steakhouse.

We do NOT need another italian / pizza location.

I'd love to see them turn the Mercado space into a quick-service counter, because DtD still needs more grab-and-go food.

AVP

Hades
09-19-2002, 04:08 PM
Cuisine-wise, I think we could stand California Chinese (maybe P.F. Changs???),

YES, YES, YES!!! I WANT A PF CHANGS THERE!

Ok, calming down now. Breath slowly, don't get your hopes up too much, Hades.:D

cstephens
09-19-2002, 04:14 PM
We went to Y Arriba once in May of 2001 and really disliked it there. Never went back, never gave it a recommendation, usually tried to steer people away from there. I've hard it's busy on Saturday nights though.

If they decide to go with a Chinese restaurant, I hope it's something more real than P.F. Chang's. I will eat there if I have to, but I really don't understand the fuss. I find the food there to be pretty bland.

Morrigoon
09-19-2002, 05:00 PM
I think DTD would benefit from a Jason's Deli type place (mmm... muffaletta!)

CarlieB
09-19-2002, 05:09 PM
Something in a slightly lower price bracket than most of the existing restaurants wouldn't go amiss:-) Not sure what though...

roberts1398
09-19-2002, 05:21 PM
I'd rather see Naples go and put in a California Pizza Kitchen! Yummy pasta and unusual pizzas. And great desserts. Or a Joe's Crab Shack ... some good seafood would be great. Or a better Mexican food place. It's not the Mexican food concept that's bad, just apparently its manifestation at Y'Arriba...

Morrigoon
09-19-2002, 05:29 PM
Yeah, but there's a definite need for more mid-priced stuff. Naples is ridiculously expensive, especially for what it is, and for a family of 4, CPK isn't exactly cheap either - plus remember that prices will be inflated due to the rent charged by Disney. Something NOT burgers, but in the lower end of the price range would fit very well in there. That's why I think Jason's Deli is a good fit. Their prices are quite reasonable, so even with Disney inflation they'd be fairly okay, the food is good, and they offer a wide variety, from sandwiches to salads to soups, and good ones at that.

However, if they wanted to put in a Johnny Rockets type place with a dance floor they could do that too ;) (yeah, like they'd give up the table area for THAT)

I do kinda wonder why Disney doesn't do something like that - maybe revive the monorail cafe name and theme, dress it up a bit, and put in a 50's burger joint/sock hop in DTD. 50's music is much more family friendly and lends quite well to a festive atmosphere. Goodness knows they have access to some great (or at least good) live bands that could come in and perform. Then again, if they had that much foresight, they'd turn Carnation Plaza into a soda fountain, or never have bulldozed the food windows in the first place.

Grandbreaker
09-19-2002, 07:00 PM
or maybe a panada express or panda inn or a rubys ? who knows I will try to find out from the leads

TerryTiger
09-19-2002, 07:23 PM
You know what would fit well into that building?

--- A Cheesecake Factory ---

Yum!

uberfrau
09-19-2002, 07:46 PM
Wow, I have to say, I would be disappointed with any of those choices! How about something *original*? I would much prefer something new and exciting over something I can get at at mall.

cemeinke
09-19-2002, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by uberfrau
Wow, I have to say, I would be disappointed with any of those choices! How about something *original*? I would much prefer something new and exciting over something I can get at at mall.

I definately agree with you - why does everything have to be a chain restaurant? Surely there must be some talanted chef in the greater Orange County area that could turn this venue into something special.

Sophie832
09-19-2002, 11:00 PM
Wow, I was just walking by there on Sat. night and it was buzzing. There's just one little hitch to that...it's all about Club KIIS. That's the hot item there on the weekends. A dance party for young adults. What will become of all those weekend clubbers?!!! OMG, what will they do with their lives?! The horror! The horror!

;)

KarenW2
09-19-2002, 11:35 PM
How about replacing Y A2 with the return of the much missed establishment, otherwise known as - Belisle's!!!

My second choice goes to them putting in a Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor. Farrell's is fabulous fun for everyone.

Third choice, Flakey Jake's, fourth choice, In 'n' Out Burgers.

cstephens
09-19-2002, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Grandbreaker
or maybe a panada express or panda inn

Please, no Panda Inn or Express.

Originally posted by KarenW2
My second choice goes to them putting in a Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor. Farrell's is fabulous fun for everyone.

Well, actually, someone would have to open a Farrell's franchise there. And it doesn't look like they're doing that. (And I don't think Haagen Dazz (sp?) would be too happy about that sort of thing.) When we went to the new one in Temecula last year, the waitress said another one was supposed to open at The Block. Didn't happen. The only original one is in the San Diego area.

I'd love a FuddRuckers. Good prices, good food, nice place to hang out.

Morrigoon
09-20-2002, 12:04 AM
Oh man, I miss Farrell's. The health craze of the late 80's, followed by Marriott's ruination of the business killed that place but Farrell's was the BEST!

AVP
09-20-2002, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by TerryTiger
You know what would fit well into that building?

--- A Cheesecake Factory ---

Yum!

Oh, oh, oh! Or they could put in one of the new Grand Lux Cafes, also owned by the Cheesecake Factory. I would SO be there.

AVP

Lani
09-20-2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by AVP
I think we could stand California Chinese (maybe P.F. Changs) WHAT?

P.F. Chang's was founded, and is still headquartered, in Phoenix! Their menu isn't what I would automatically think of as "California Chinese" -- unless you mean that they use a lot of fresh ingredients, or that their restaurants are yuppie bistros. Maybe "Pacific Rim" or "nouveau Chinese," but to call it "California Chinese" is kind of um... um... I don't know .... Cali-centric? Maybe I'm missing something... is P.F. Chang's considered a California restaurant chain?

Alex and I ate at a P.F. Chang's in Kansas City last year. The food was good, but good lord, our waiter made this huge presentation at our table creating a "special sauce" which, upon tasting, turned out to be ordinary household condiments I use at home all the time (I think it included some combination of soy sauce, sesame oil, chili pepper oil, vinegar). It just made me :rolleyes:. He made it like it was some secret sauce. Gads. I can do without that kind of snobbery. Maybe it was just that one waiter... hmmm

Lani
09-20-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by cstephens
Please, no Panda Inn or Express."And what flavor grease would you like on your combo plate today?" LOL

You must admit however, that the food is very filling, and it's very cheap. I would much rather have a lunch plate from Panda Express than eat at McDonald's (of course, given those two choices only).

How about the Spaghetti Factory? Cheap, and they can turn tables like nobody else.

Lani
09-20-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by cemeinke
I definately agree with you - why does everything have to be a chain restaurant? Surely there must be some talanted chef in the greater Orange County area that could turn this venue into something special. Actually Christian, I think I agree with you on this one. Alex and I are extremely fortunate to live in a neighborhood where the only chain fast food joint within reasonable walking distance is a little KFC counter with no tables. Within a five-block area, we have 5 Japanese restaurants, 3 Chinese restaurants, 3 Thai restaurants, 1 French bistro, 1 Italian pasta joint, 1 really bad Round Table pizza joint, 1 Vietnamese pho place, a couple of American diners (including a 24-hr place), 1 Saturday farmer's market, and so on and so forth... and NONE of them (besides that horrible Round Table) is a chain. In fact, the French bistro is a great example of the thriving small restaurant business in our community -- the chef is the daughter, and the server is her mom. Every night they have a different menu of daily specials, and the chef explains the specials to you and tells you the ingredients she uses. It's so intimate and lovely.

Alex and I have discussed the lack of indies in many communities. We think it's related to families cooking at home most weeknights, vs. many urban professional areas where adults often eat out on weeknights instead of cook. Without enough weeknight customers, these small places have too rough of a time to survive, we think.

ice_queen
09-20-2002, 10:16 AM
Alex and I ate at a P.F. Chang's in Kansas City last year. The food was good, but good lord, our waiter made this huge presentation at our table creating a "special sauce" which, upon tasting, turned out to be ordinary household condiments I use at home all the time (I think it included some combination of soy sauce, sesame oil, chili pepper oil, vinegar).

Geez Lani.... well, it WAS a secret to ME.... thanks alot! *aarrgg*

I happen to like that whole secret sauce thing. I think its part of the P.F. Chang spiel.... i mean, if our waiter doesn't do it, then I feel slighted.

I would like to see something a little more relaxed and family oriented. Someplace where I can just go and hang out, wear my gaudy DL garb, and daub my chin with paper napkins. I vote for a FuddRucker's too.

Lani
09-20-2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by ice_queen
Geez Lani.... well, it WAS a secret to ME.... thanks alot! *aarrgg*Hey now, "talk like a pirate" day was yesterday!! ;) ;)