PDA

View Full Version : New Years at Disneyland

mystycalchyk
09-18-2002, 02:25 PM
hi all, just wondering here
in the last few years any of you ever go to the new years eve celebrations at disneyland?
and in so doing have you sen the various ...umm....beach balls that are always floating around??? (in the front of the castle)
we've gone for the last several years, its sort of a tradition for my hubby and i, and i have to tell you we have a blast....after staking out our 'spot' for 7 or 8 hours (yes we're freaks we know) we love this 'un disney' tradition of the balls being tossed out into the crowd.
yes i have a reason for asking, im just trying to get some response first:)

tod
09-18-2002, 03:09 PM
I'm really indifferent to the mass beach ball toss, except when it's more fun to be in the crowd than identify with the authority figure who's trying to stop it.

I was at last New Year's Eve at Disneyland, sat down along the railing on the outside curve of the Plaza between Plaza Inn and Main Street. Whole place was impassable by 11:30. I don't know what other no-walk zones there were, but the Plaza was wall-to-wall people.

The ball never got to us.

-T
waiting for 2003

mystycalchyk
09-18-2002, 03:45 PM
hmm which brings to mind my initial thought...because ive seen the people who try to stop it...whats the big deal anyway??? i mean why does someone have to stop it???? it a nice break in the boredom and they arent hurting anyone???i dont get why they (disney folk) dont just 'let it go"???

Traci
09-18-2002, 03:54 PM
I've been to DL at New Years Eve, and it was so crowded I decided I would never do it again. The time that I went, there were no beach balls, that would have made the evening a little more fun instead of standing there being pushed and stepped on all night. :(

mystycalchyk
09-18-2002, 03:57 PM
it is very crowded....tis why we stake out our 'spot' early on....we bring little baby foldable chairs....they are only about 8 inches when folded up so they arent some huge monsters....we managed to hook up with some really nice folks year after year.....i would hate to not go just because we love seeing them every year.

hefferdude
09-18-2002, 04:00 PM
Back in the Filmore West days ( daze ) in SF people would
inflate latex condoms ( yes, unused... duh uh ! )
to about 5 feet across and toss these into the
audience! :eek: It was like being hit with one of those
sentries that would chase attempted escapees
on the British TV show "The Prisoner" starring
Patrick McGohann!

Kids! Don't try this at home!:p

tod
09-18-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by mystycalchyk
hmm which brings to mind my initial thought...because ive seen the people who try to stop it...whats the big deal anyway??? i mean why does someone have to stop it???? it a nice break in the boredom and they arent hurting anyone???i dont get why they (disney folk) dont just 'let it go"???

I believe that if someone is injured (okay, it's unlikely, but follow me here) a good lawyer can make a representative of the authority look pretty foolish by getting them to admit that they saw it and did nothing.

So now they do something.

--T

mystycalchyk
09-18-2002, 04:40 PM
silly goober lawyers mess everything up....

you know though it ends up as a huge game of 'keep away' from the CM...with 20 thousand keepawayers.... though i felt sorry for the poor cm given the task to be the meanie....not a job id want.
i was fortunate enough a few years back to meet up with the 'insigator' of these balls...gotta tell you, it was a blast....he had all of us blowing them up for them... he even let me toss out the first ball...people were screaming "throw it over here ..throw it over heeeereee!!!"....hehheh. the tings we do for a chuckle

bluepearl
09-18-2002, 05:40 PM
I have never gone to DL on New Years Eve, mostly because Disneyland used to be a once-a-year trip. It wasn't until last year that I had seen what Disneyland looked like during the winter holidays because I had an AP. But anyhoo, I hear that it's terribly crowded on NYE, so I spent most of my Eve at DCA. While I didn't stay til the clocked struck 12AM, I did spend most of the night there and it was absolutely fantastic. I had such a great time and this year I'm trying to convince all my friends to go to DCA on New Years Eve. It felt really laid back and I enjoyed the current popular music blasting through the speakers.