PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland "side" shows/events

Pages : [1] 2

kimmybear
04-12-2008, 10:44 AM
my bf was going thru some old DL photos of mine and came across one of mickey climbing the matterhorn. he'd never seen it before and is now curious about some of the other "side" shows or small events that take place. any suggestions? :D

doublewide77
04-12-2008, 10:53 AM
One of my favorites is the trash can band/performers in tomorrowland (think Stomp), never get tired of watching them.

MammaSilva
04-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Love the trashcan band, love love love the Jazz bands that show up over in NoS...there is a bass player that is incredible if you like Jazz or Blues...our last visit we got the pleasure of listening to a very talented young lady sing Happy Birthday along with the boys for Missys birthday and then got to hear a set of hers while playing on the French Market stage. The Dapper Dans aren't the DD of old but the new ones have their own certain charm. I try to stop and take time for the 'street entertainment' whenever we can for a couple reasons, 1) they are good, and 2) if the bean counters don't see them as adding to our experience by folks stopping and watching then they'll be able to justify yet another budget cut.

mistofviolets
04-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Alice and the Mad Hatter playing "Musical Chairs" (I think)

The Sword in the Stone ceremony

TTFN92
04-12-2008, 02:16 PM
PUSH.

I used to like listening to the steel drum band that played up above the Jungle Cruise. I wish they'd bring them back.

My nephews got to sing with the Dapper Dans when we were there in Jan. They also sang with the Delta Daddios in DCA. That was pretty cool.

Malcon10t
04-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Billy Hill and the Hillbillies.
The Disneyland Band on the Carousel (or at the hub, or anywhere else!)
The Pirates show.

olegc
04-12-2008, 10:41 PM
they have also been doing a Mary Poppins of late in front of the castle. Mary, Bert, and the Supercalif.... band playing.

I guess you would call the way Jack Sparrow trolls around TSIsland is like a show. He does not stay at the meet and greet. I think they only do the Sparrow stunt show on weekends now until Summer...

and coming soon - Indiana Jones rooftop stunts in Adventureland.

Another Dimension
04-13-2008, 03:25 AM
Jebediah Jones & the Miner 49ers at DCA

Whatever that pre-Parade of Dreams CM-run 'golfing' game for kids is, on north Main Street.

MauiMickey
04-13-2008, 09:57 AM
I guess you would call the way Jack Sparrow trolls around TSIsland is like a show. He does not stay at the meet and greet. I think they only do the Sparrow stunt show on weekends now until Summer...

When we were on TSI in March (around the 18th?) I asked a CM if the pirate show would be playing and he said that the rigging had been taken down permanently and the show would not be returning at all as it hadn't brought in huge crowds as hoped.

It's really too bad, as that pirate show was a highlight for our two boys.

LdyApxr
04-14-2008, 09:45 AM
On Christmas of 06 we got some great shots of Mickey climbing the Matterhorn. Our 8yr old was thrilled with that! He thought it was the coolest thing(that is until he saw the Jedi Training and was picked for it last month. LOL)

ghoofie
04-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Jebediah Jones & the Miner 49ers at DCA

When they were "The Barncats" I sat in with them once on bass.

The Evil Queen
04-14-2008, 11:57 AM
The Flag Retreat Ceremony. The best thing to do on a warm fall evening. Always brings a tear to my eye!

Matterhorn Yodeler
04-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Okay, this is a really fun thread!

I love all of the live music that you can find throughout DL park.

The firehouse band on Main Street is one of my favorites. They are a very whimsical group.

The piano player at Coke Corner.

The Mary Poppins button band currently doing a show in front of the castle with Mary and Bert.

The trashcan band in Tomorrowland.

The rock group on whatever they call the Tomorrowland Terrace stage now...

And my favorite is a Dixieland combo that plays in the streets of NOS. They have a clarinet, trumpet, trombone, sousaphone and drum. They each step out for solos. It's great!

Now off the music subject, I recently ran into the talking recycling container at DCA. It was really cute and the kids just loved it.

charpaul
04-15-2008, 04:50 AM
I love to watch the Laughin' Stock Theater players in front of Golden Horseshoe.

mariezp
04-15-2008, 05:01 AM
Farley the Fiddle player can be found in Frontierland. We saw hin on the porch outside of the Pioneer Mercantile. He is very talented and so funny.

TikiGeek
04-15-2008, 06:41 AM
The piano player at Coke Corner.Man O' man! Do I miss Rod Miller. Just like Walt, there will never be another so great.

adriennek
04-15-2008, 09:14 AM
The Laughing Stock show in front of Golden Horseshoe is priceless. That Ellie Mae is one fine lookin' filly!

Adrienne

missmonkey
04-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Here's a third vote for Laughing Stock and a second for Billy Hill and the Hillbillies. Also, the pirate band plays in the streets of NOS after TSI closes for the night. They're usually just outside the Court of Angels. They are sooo good. The Disneyland Band plays at the castle at about 11:00 (check the calendar!) then marches down Main Street to Town Square with Band Leader Mickey. They stop about halfway there and do a little song with choreography -- very cute!

ariannavh
04-15-2008, 12:18 PM
This is great information for someone that is relatively clueless about DL. Do any of these things occur at particular times of the day or days of the week? Just planning for a visit in mid-May and my daughter would love to see Mickey climb the Matterhorn (as well as others mentioned here)!

saucydiva
04-15-2008, 12:34 PM
I may be mistaken, but I thought I read somewhere that there isn't any Matterhorn-climbing going on at the moment. Didn't those guys get pink slips around the same time that the old Dapper Dans got squeezed out for younger ones? My understanding was that both steps were taken in the name of cost cutting. It's a darn shame, if that's the case, because I agree that seeing Mickey (or even just regular people) scaling the Matterhorn was always such an exciting surprise.

lilfaeriebrat
04-15-2008, 01:07 PM
I've got to add another vote for PUSH. He was my grandma's favorite stop when we were in the parks before she passed away.

HopeTrust N PixieDust
04-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Yet another vote for Laughing Stock. My fiance got picked as one of the "bachelor's' for Ellie Mae one time and it was so hilarious! The look on his face when the blindfold came off was PRICELESS LOL :D I also love the Disneyland Band show and miss the Mickey Matterhorn thing. That was really fun to watch but it did cause a lot of traffic around the area. We walked past the castle recently and heard Mary Poppins music but wasn't sure what it was. Does anyone have a rough idea of when Mary and the band come out? I believe it was some time in the morning but I'm not sure. We're going to go in a few weeks so I'd love to catch that. Thank you! :)

Malcon10t
04-15-2008, 04:11 PM
The Laughing Stock show in front of Golden Horseshoe is priceless. That Ellie Mae is one fine lookin' filly!

AdrienneEscape Artist was once chosen to marry Sally Mae in the "Dating Game" back when he was about 11. That was a riot! He has loved Laughing Stock ever since!

foolishmortal
04-15-2008, 04:23 PM
The laughing stock!!!! MY kids see them and just plop down in the frount and watch the whole show!!! DS stuck his tounge out at Sally Mae one time when he was 3.:p Boy did she make a fuss!!!!;):D He just loved it!!!!
Good break for mom, love the show soo much. Dh usually sneaks away for a little while during the show to go x-mas stocking hunting for me!Lucky me!

We love push too, miss him in T-land!

Love the gruop that sang CA songs in DCA.

We try to catch most of the side shows when the kids are not in a hurry to get to a ride!;)

I think there should be more of them! With all the price hikes I don't see why we can't have more!!:rolleyes:;):D

D15
04-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Farley the Fiddle player can be found in Frontierland. We saw hin on the porch outside of the Pioneer Mercantile. He is very talented and so funny.

I second the vote for Farley! We make it a point to find him every time we're there and hear some songs and get an autograph :)