PDA

View Full Version : What is the most unchanged part of Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2

doublewide77
04-12-2008, 07:30 AM
So got into a "heated" discussion with a friend recently about the small world changes. This made me wonder what is the most original/unchanged areas and rides in the park? Even with ones of the same name, they have been updated a lot. My guess for the most unchanged ride is jungle cruise or some in fantasyland

As for unchanged areas, hard pressed to think of any after seeing the 1955 display. I first thought mainstreet, but looking at old pictures all the stores have changed. How about the castle?

How about the train station anyone know if that's close to the original?

VickiC
04-12-2008, 07:33 AM
The general view from the station down to the castle is very similiar. The names on the store fronts have changed but the perspective, the vehicles, etc. all remain pretty similiar.

TTFN92
04-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Isn't Tiki Room the same but with the updated sound?

bassett1976
04-12-2008, 08:41 AM
My guess for the most unchanged ride is jungle cruise or some in fantasyland

I think Jungle Cruise was modified when the Indy attraction was created. The ride length has been altered as well as the dialog. Which attractions in Fantasyland were at opening day? Peter Pan, Snow White, Toad? Have they all changed?

Bytebear
04-12-2008, 08:56 AM
I would say Main Street Station would be the least changed.

Casey Jr. would probably be second, although the items in Storybook Land have changed over the years.

The Tiki room had one of the songs cut.

Main Street was repaved with concrete and brick, and the hub gained a statue.

Jungle cruise has had several changes, from added monkeys to the most recent Piranha.

I was thinking of the Fantasyland attractions, but they have all been modified (enhanced) in some way, not to mention the entire revamp of the land.

tod
04-12-2008, 09:23 AM
The Jungle Cruise was extensively modified in 1962, with the addition of the elephant pool.

I would suggest that the least-changed attractions would be the Mark Twain (although the snack bar on the middle deck is closed), the Market House (although the 5-cent pickles were $2.25 last I remember) and the Main Street Cinema (although the sign was changed and the old silent movies were replaced by Disney cartoons).

--t

SANDYMARIE
04-12-2008, 09:28 AM
The feeling, once you enter those turnstiles!!!!!!!! :D

TTFN :)

Heffalump
04-12-2008, 10:11 AM
To me it is the Tiki Room.

doublewide77
04-12-2008, 10:30 AM
re: Mark Twain and Rivers of America, oh yea forgot those, good candidates! Of course the sights along it have changed a bit, but anyone know if they ever changed the river course?

re: tiki room, maybe one of longest least changed, dates from 1963, I think. Show has changed a couple of times, but the feel and fun of the room is certainly the same.

re: main street cinema, I thought that would be a good one too, but it's funny I wandered into it recently for the first time in a very long time just looking for a/c and a quiet place to sit and was completely surprised! I had remembered it as an actual theater showing cartoons. Now it's just a series of small screens around a small room with no place to sit. I'm guessing maybe it was reduced a lot in size for gift shop space on either side?

biolabetty
04-12-2008, 11:29 AM
The Golden Horseshoe comes to my mind. I know the show has obviously changed over the years, but I'm trying to think if the interior has really changed much. I know you used to be able to sit in the booths over the stage on the second floor, because that was where I would always sit when I came. I know the food has changed too, I remember buying Fritos and Mountain Dew there as a kid.

olegc
04-12-2008, 05:00 PM
well, I guess the question should have added are we talking changes to facades (buildings), attraction points and features, restaurants, etc. I assume you're not talking about buildings - since Main Street (plaza inn) would be right up there.

IMHO - everything has been changed somewhat over the years - even the castle with paint, new turrets, spires, etc. but the overall architecture has remained.

If I had to guess something that has seen the LEAST amount of work to it - that would be the stockade/fort entrance to frontierland. the only thing not there anymore are the Union soldiers. The rest looks pretty much as it did when the gate was first erected.

BIRDGIRLS
04-12-2008, 05:03 PM
The American flag at the beginning of Main Street.

bassett1976
04-12-2008, 05:08 PM
The American flag at the beginning of Main Street.

Okay, I'm just being a jerk here...

Didn't Hawaii become a state after DL opened?

Jon
04-12-2008, 05:12 PM

Alaska, too. :geek:

BIRDGIRLS
04-12-2008, 05:16 PM
Oh, okay maybe that's true. Nevermind then. I just like the American flag on Main Street, and the ceremony they do.

Barbossa
04-12-2008, 05:19 PM
The lousy food! :p

olegc
04-12-2008, 10:25 PM

that's funny....

Oldtimer
04-13-2008, 12:00 PM
to doublewide77...

I suspect you are remembering the theater that was in Fantasyland; it was removed when the land was updated to make room for another dark ride. It had seats, and as I remember, it was DARK as well as cool inside. My Mom used it as an enforced after lunch nap spot when We were at the park in the 1960's.

In the early days they showed a different cartoon everyday, later on they had the same show playing all the time. I remember "It's tough to be a Bird" playing there, if I recall correctly.

:)
Oldtimer

Matterhorn Yodeler
04-14-2008, 02:47 PM
The Tiki room had one of the songs cut.

What was the song? And when was it cut?

I cannot think of anything that hasn't had something "tweaked" over the years. Maybe Walt's apartment above the firehouse hasn't changed, but then again, how would anyone know?

All right, the only thing that hasn't changed since July 17th, 1955 is the sense of magic and wonder you feel when you are there!

HisKid
04-14-2008, 03:59 PM
What about the dioramas in the railroad tunnel?

Matterhorn Yodeler
04-14-2008, 04:32 PM

Those were not installed until after the New York World Fair in '64-65.

Bytebear
04-14-2008, 05:30 PM
What was the song? And when was it cut?

I cannot think of anything that hasn't had something "tweaked" over the years. Maybe Walt's apartment above the firehouse hasn't changed, but then again, how would anyone know?

All right, the only thing that hasn't changed since July 17th, 1955 is the sense of magic and wonder you feel when you are there!

I did some searching, and as I understand it, they took out a verse from the main "tiki-tiki room" song, and removed an Offenbach operatic song. I also read that the bird's feathers have changed colors over the years.

I still say the Main Street Station is the most unchanged area of the park, although I suppose the lobby area may be different.

Walt's apartment is actually a good guess.

bag3lbit3s
04-14-2008, 07:16 PM
From what I've been told...parts of backstage.

tod
04-14-2008, 07:50 PM

Those were not installed until after the New York World Fair in '64-65.

The Grand Canyon Diorama opened in 1958. The Primeval World was added after the World's Fair.

--t

Alex S.
04-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Let's see. From the opening year attractions that are still around:

Horse-drawn Street Cars - I'm not sure if the street cars have changed but I'm guessing none of the original horses remain.

Main Street Cinema - Physically essentially the same but movies shown have changed over the years.

Santa Fe and Disneyland Railroad - Name changed at some point, Fantasyland (now Toontown) station was a later addition, track layout was changed for construction of Small World, dioramas were later additions.

Canal Boats of the World - Name changed in 1956, scenery and miniatures added. Miniatures changed and updated through the years.

Casey Jr. Circus Train - So far as I know, little if anything has changed with these trains since they opened two weeks after the park. However, the experience was changed when Storybook Land Canal Boats were updated and the miniatures added.

Dumbo Flying Elephants - Physically moved to current location in 1983, capacity increased with addition of Dumbo ride units at that time as well.

King Arthur Carrousel - Physically moved to current location in 1983. Almost completely rebuilt in 2004 with new drive mechanism added, row of horses removed and benches added.

Mad Tea Party - Updated and physically moved in 1983.

Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride - Show scenes changed and exteriors updated in 1983.

Peter Pan Flight - Exteriors updated in 1983 (not sure if the show changed).

Snow White's Adventures - Exteriors updated in 1983. Name changes to add "Scary."

Autopia - Many, many changes over the years.

Mark Twain Riverboat - As mentioned, the boat is mostly unchanged, though snack bar is gone. For 50th Anniversary it was given a gold accented paint job but restored later.

Jungle Cruise - numerous enchancements with new scenes, and readjustments to old scenes. Route changed slightly to make room for Indiana Jones Adventure. Latest scenery update was for 50th Anniversary when piranhas were added and several show elements reordered or tweaked. Also, the physical experience of the ride is dramatically different from early years when the landscaping had not yet grown in to the lush coverage is has now.

So among the originals I have to say Casey Jr., Mark Twain, Main Street Cinema, or Horse-Drawn Carriages depending on criteria of important changes.

Park wide I would suggest a tie between Honey I Shrunk the Audience which is painfully unchanged since it opened and Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage which hasn't had time to change.