PDA

View Full Version : Daughter's first DL trip, Sept 17th

DLdad
09-18-2002, 10:21 AM
Before detailing the trip, just wanted to note that these attractions were closed: Matterhorn, Canal Botas, Casey Jr., Haunted Mansion, DL RR, and ... drumroll please... the Carrousel and Sleeping Beauty's castle. Saw a lot of workers on and around Matterhorn which had a number of sections painted for what looks like minor remodeling work (sorry, no pictures).

Now on with the trip detail...

My wife and I, along with Grandma, took our daughter (3 1/2) and son (1 1/2) to DL for their first time on Sept. 17th. We got there a little late due to heavy traffic on the way down. We entered the park at 9:40. We posed the kids for the obligatory pitcture in front of the Mickey flower face, although it was tough getting Kaitlyn to hold still :)

After restrooms and lockers, we did a quick stroll down Main Street headed for Dumbo! Kaitlyn loved it! Brendan was not too sure. After two Dumbo rides, we went to try Pinnochio. Grandma, Kaitlyn and I went on it, while mom and Brendan watched the Sword in the Stone ceremony. Kaitlyn did not like Pinnochio at all. Mom, Grandam and Kaitlyn then tried Peter Pan which Kaitlyn was so-so about. Mr. Toad was then end of the dark rides for her...

After Mr. Toads, we went into the Mad Hatter's shop in Fantasyland. All Kaitlyn had talked about was getting a Pluto hat as we were approaching the trip date. Mom couldn't bring herself to buy the Pluto baseball cap, but Kaitlyn got a "Gilligan" style (don't know what it's really called) hat with Pluto on it. We all took a Tea Cup ride before heading towards IASW. On the way, we stopped for a Pooh character greeting and photo shoot.

Kaitlyn was nervous when IASW headed indoors, but both kids REALLY liked it. Did that one twice more :) (starts humming... "It's a small world after all.." slaps self across face to stop).

After IASW we strolled over to Tomorrowland for lunch at Club Buzz. After lunch,we took a couple of laps on Autopia and a Monorail loop.

After the brief stay in TL, we headed to Toontown. Brendan fell asleep on the way, so Grandma stayed with him for most of Toontown. We decided to skip Roger Rabbit due to the dark ride issues.

Kaitlyn enjoyed all of Toontown excpet Gadget's Go Coaster left her a little shaken. She got terribly excited about meeting Pluto :) We ended our Toontown visit with a visit to Mickey's house, and a Trolley ride. Brendan woke up from his nap in Mickey's house.

We all headed back towards the hub, stopping for an ice cream from a cart on the way. After a quick locker visit to replenish snacks and drinks, we headed to Adventureland.

Kaitlyn had a disposable camera she was using to take her own pictures as we toured the park. At the entrance to Adevntureland, she started yelling about taking a picture of Pluto. We looked around for the Pluto we thought she must have spotted, but could not see one. Finally, we realized she meant a small stuffed Pluto that Grandma had bought for her back in Toontown. She posed her Pluto on a rock and snapped his picture :)

We headed over to Tarzan's Treehouse, and Kaitlyn and I strolled through while the rest of the group took a little break. After the Treehouse we all took a Jungle Cruise. The kids really enjoyed that, so we did it again.

The kids were starting to get a little grumpy and crabby (about 3:00-3:30 at this time). So we decided to wrap things up. Since Kaitlyn did not really like the dark rides, and was too short for Splash Mountain and the other E-Tickets, we did not make it over to NOS, Frontierland, or Critter Country on this trip.

We headed back towards the hub. We took in a Tiki show along the way (starts humming "In the Tiki Tiki Tiki..." slaps self across face to stop). Maynard was running the Tiki room. He went around placing napkins on people's heads before the show in case one of the birds happened to poop. :) Some of the guests looked a little worried... He even interacted with the birds, danced and sang along with them at points of the show. Was nice to see a CM play to the guests as much as hee does. Outside, while everyone else went for a restroom/diaper stop, I chatted with him a bit. He really seems to enjoy his job, and want to make guest's days just that much better.

Our last ride of the day was on the Rocket ships in TL. After that we hit Kaitlyn's highlight of the day. We walked along the path with the jumping fountains right next to the Rocket Ships. She can't stop talking about the water that shoots over your head while you walk!

After a stroll down Main Street and a couple of shopping stops, we walked back to the parking lot, and headed home.

All-in-all, it was a great day trip. Sure us adults would have enjoyed a couple of E-Ticket rides and a ride on POTC, but we went knowning that it would be a short day trip for the kids.

teri
09-18-2002, 10:23 AM
Oh, what fun! :)

I remember when my kids were little... ::sigh:::

MammaSilva
09-18-2002, 10:25 AM
What a wonderful Trip report! I love it when parents "GET IT" that the kids have different expectation/tolerance levels and let those things be the determining factors for the trip....she will cherish the memories for ever... I loved the photo of her pluto on the rock :)

mad4mky
09-18-2002, 12:50 PM
What a fun day. I could read your excitement of having your kids see DL for the first time! I remember those days...they are so special to remember!

You and your wife did a great job on not pushing your little ones to go into the dark rides. I see too many parents try to coax their kids into it...and then the kid is freaked out through the whole ride...let alone the rest of the day.

I love the disposable camera. I too loved where she put Pluto on the rock and took his picture (gee, I get the feeling, Pluto is her favorite character!). :D

I also can appreciate that you guys knew when it was enough, and time to go. Being a parent, and having to travel a distance to get there, we always tried to get as much fun in one day as possible...but when little ones poop out...they just poop out.

Sounds like a very memorable 1st trip to Disneyland for everyone. I am glad you shared it with us...I have been smiling and remembering since reading your post. Thanks.:D

Cadaverous Pallor
09-18-2002, 12:52 PM
DLDad, what a great trip report! Being a newlywed 20-something, it's a whole different ballgame when we go to the parks. It's cool to hear exactly how a family with young children does it. Brings back memories! :) Sounds like you guys had fun.

Dark ride issues, eh? Was she scared, or disoriented, or just bored by them? I'm glad she liked IASW, I loved that one as a kid. (Still do today!)

DLdad
09-18-2002, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor
DLDad, what a great trip report! Being a newlywed 20-something, it's a whole different ballgame when we go to the parks. It's cool to hear exactly how a family with young children does it. Brings back memories! :) Sounds like you guys had fun.

Dark ride issues, eh? Was she scared, or disoriented, or just bored by them? I'm glad she liked IASW, I loved that one as a kid. (Still do today!)
Belated congratulations on the wedding!

Yes, it is a whole lot different with kids. My wife and I last went just after the opening of the new TL (such as it is/was). It was really neat to get that "first-time" experience again when we took the kids. Watching your kids' faces when they encounter a character, or see something new is worth the admission by itself. Of course Brendan didn't really "get it" like Kaitlyn did, but he had fun too. All the sights, sounds, and people kept him occupied.

The dark rides scared Kaitlyn. We were expecting it though since she is fairly timid. Maybe it would have been better to see more of the park and go on more rides before trying those Fantasyland dark rides. It might have helped her feel more secure.

I think a lot of what made the trip so good was that small attendance. Our longest wait for anything was about 5-10 minutes for Autopia, and about 15 minutes in the Tiki waiting area for Tiki Room (it was almost empty so the kids got to run and play in a confined area... which let Mom and Dad relax while the kids burned some energy :)). Most rides we more or less just walked on, so the kids didn't have to deal with the whole waiting in line business. Brendan is definitely not the personality type to wait :)

Our only complaint was the closure of Casey Jr and Canal Boats (which we knew about beforehand) and the Dineyland RR (which was not listed on the web site or at the main gate ticket booths). Kaitlyn REALLY, REALLY wanted to ride a train. :( But the Monorail and parking lot tram satisfied her.

I wanted to get over to TSI to let the kids do a bit more running, but with all the poor reports and all, it wasn't a big priority. TSI was always my favorite part of the park, even as a teen ager. I loved the caves and the rock "rides" as well as the fort and bridges... :( Not to mention the relative lack of crowds and the absence of shops/carts.

We plan on going again in about a year or 18 months or so when the kids are a little older. Brendan is much more daring and venturesome than Kaitlyn ever was, and he seemed to enjoy the rides this trip (although we didn't take him on any of the Fantasyland dark rides).

Next time we are going to stay in the hotel so we can do a good afternoon nap/break and go back for Disneyland at night. The next day will either be a return to Disneyland or a visit to DCA...

justagrrl
09-18-2002, 03:50 PM
What a fun time it sounds like you had.

I loved the part about her taking a picture of pluto on the rock. It's sort of funny as we've heard about the grown-ups doing that with a little mascot and here she is - only 2 1/2 and already on the right track. :)

Thanks for sharing your fun time.

MouseWife
09-18-2002, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
What a fun time it sounds like you had.

I loved the part about her taking a picture of pluto on the rock. It's sort of funny as we've heard about the grown-ups doing that with a little mascot and here she is - only 2 1/2 and already on the right track. :)

Thanks for sharing your fun time.

Hey, I think I see an opportunity for a tradition for Kaitlyn!!!
And that it was a gift from Grandma.. extra special!!

I also enjoyed your adventure, thank you for sharing.

It has been a while since we first took our kids but I can still remember it. Oh yeah, because we video taped it. :D

But, really, it was nice to hear yours and I, too, think it was probably best since it wasn't crowded.

Our first time, we also left around 3-3:30. We got a room the next time.