PDA

View Full Version : Danny Elfman Soundtrack for HMH 2002

Pages : [1] 2

tinkfreak
09-17-2002, 11:33 PM
I saw a CM flier today talking about new things for HMH 2002. The most exciting thing was that Danny Elfman himself designed an all new soundtrak for this year's journey through the mansion. It doesn't say that it will be music from NBC, but I think this will satisfy those who objected to last year's soundtrak:) .

I liked that one, BTW. But I'm sure the new one will be cool as well.

Laffite
09-17-2002, 11:37 PM
but I think this will satisfy those who objected to last year's soundtrak .

Who dare object last year's HMH music?!? :eek: Man! I loved that music! It was very "full" and fun to listen to. But this year can only get better :)

I guess that word is there's still no plans on HMH music cd? :crying:

Nigel2
09-17-2002, 11:52 PM
You would be surpised how some people seemed to have issues with it not being his music. Well there was also a rumor that he had a problem with them not using his music either. I do hope they keep the "Childrens Choir of the Damned" (it does sound like it) singing some christmas songs.:D

blusilva
09-18-2002, 02:56 AM
For me the Elfman soundtrack was integral to the theme of the attraction because...well...the movie was a musical. And Danny Elfman wrote the music. It's sort of like having a Dumbo ride without Dumbo. While the music they used was Elfman-esque, it just wasn't what it could have been.

I'm glad to hear he's involved this year. I'm really looking forward to hearing the new music!

innerSpaceman
09-18-2002, 07:04 AM
I liked last year's music, too, and I hope they keep the best of it. Still, I was also one who complained about the lack of actual NBC music, and I still feel it is inappropriate to have an attraction based on that film without a single note of its remarkable score being played. It's not even necessary to feature the actual songs (although that would not be a bad thing), but the original underscore could easily be used in several areas of the attraction.

There is an argument to be made for using the actual songs, however. Think Fantasyland dark rides. They are based on classic animated films such as Snow White, Alice, Peter Pan - and each of them has very familiar songs and music which are as integral a part of these films as the visuals are. The "real" music is used to great effect in these dark rides, and I feel sure that some "real" Nightmare Before Christmas music would be similarly "right" for Haunted Mansion Holiday.

Ghoulish Delight
09-18-2002, 07:18 AM
iSm is absolutely right. And Fantasyland dark ride movies aren't really even musicals (yes, they all had a few songs, but nothing like NBC). Would you have a Sound of Music themed ride without the music? (okay, would you have a Sound of Music themed ride at all)

I agree, the music they did come up with was good. It certainly did not detract from the ride by its nature. BUT, if they are going to have a NBC themed ride, they should use NBC music.

And yes, Nigel, Elfman did take issue with them not using his music. They invited him to speak in the pre-event panel discussion. When he heard they weren't even going to use his music, he, rightfully, said that there was no way he'd show up. I mean, what reason would he have? "Come advertise this ride which, now, has nothing to do with you!" And, because they are good friends, Burton, in a show of solidarity, also backed out of the discussion. They were not pleased.

Not Afraid
09-18-2002, 07:30 AM
I personally LOVED last year's music. I am very interested in see how the music is mixed this year. I'm just glas I have a recording of the first sound track. I'll miss it.

I hope that Elfman and Burton are part of this yeaar's panel for the Oct 3rd event. I'm also hoping that a CD of the soundtrack will be available that night. Perhaps that will be our "gift".

Ooooh! Can't wait.

No Grape Koolaid
09-18-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Laffite

I guess that word is there's still no plans on HMH music cd? :crying:

There will be one and that's the real reason for the new soundtrack. They were satisfied with last years soundtrack but felt they could sell a lot more CD's using Elfman's name and music.

[Mod. note: Fixed vBcode in quoted material. -- Andrew]

Ghoulish Delight
09-18-2002, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by No Grape Koolaid
There will be one and that's the real reason for the new soundtrack. They were satisfied with last years soundtrack but felt they could sell a lot more CD's using Elfman's name and music. Hrmm, that's one way to put it. A slightly less pesimistic way is that this is reaction to customer/fan demand. This isn't simply a money making ploy. This isn't, "everyone likes it, but let's do something cheap so we can make a bigger profit." THEY may have been satisfied with last year's music, but the fans have made it well known that they were not. So, to please fans (and yes, make money), they are shelling out some bucks to have Elfman record something that will satisify their customers.

I don't know if you meant it as such, but just the way you said that made it seem like you were saying "This is a purely business decsission, conceived only to make money and with no respect for the art and creativity," in a very accusatory way. I beg to differ. They tried last year to create new music, and the audience they were trying to attract simply said "we don't like it." So they changed it.

If you didn't mean it that way, sorry for jumping on you. I just think that this is both a sound creative decission as well as a sound business decission.

No Grape Koolaid
09-18-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight

I don't know if you meant it as such, but just the way you said that made it seem like you were saying "This is a purely business decsission, conceived only to make money and with no respect for the art and creativity," in a very accusatory way. I beg to differ. They tried last year to create new music, and the audience they were trying to attract simply said "we don't like it." So they changed it.

If you didn't mean it that way, sorry for jumping on you. I just think that this is both a sound creative decission as well as a sound business decission.

I did mean to say that it was purely a business decision because it was. This just happens to be one tiny area that I happen to have gotten information about.

MickeyD
09-18-2002, 11:51 AM
This is the best news I've heard in a LONG time!

Kayoss
09-18-2002, 12:00 PM
I can't &*$%ing WAIT!

cstephens
09-18-2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
I feel sure that some "real" Nightmare Before Christmas music would be similarly "right" for Haunted Mansion Holiday.

Well, there was some, but I'm not sure it fits what you mentioned. There was a snippet of "What's This?" with the busts.

I really liked the music from last year. I'll reserve judgement on any new music, even if it's written/arranged/whatever by Danny Elfman, until I've actually heard it.

Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
THEY may have been satisfied with last year's music, but the fans have made it well known that they were not.

With all due respect, is there some sort of reliable source for this data or is that pure conjecture? My information is all anecdotal, but I know of very many people who really liked the music from last year and weren't screaming to have it replaced.

Kayoss
09-18-2002, 07:51 PM
I was screaming to have it replaced. It was an INSULT to Danny's spectacular score. I'm sorry, but the music they used (filled with keyboard synths) was like a cheap Cinderella II direct-to-video attempt at scoring a Disney ride. The ride will be hundreds of times better with the film's music. Just you wait.

Nigel2
09-18-2002, 09:02 PM
I am trying to remember (since going by ear wouldn't do much), did they use any of Danny's music that he composed for the movie or the ride last year? If not then we may have the perfect reason why they didn't use it. If they write their own songs and have variations on old music (for example Carol of the Bells) then they don't have to pay royalties.

AVP
09-19-2002, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by No Grape Koolaid
There will be one and that's the real reason for the new soundtrack. They were satisfied with last years soundtrack but felt they could sell a lot more CD's using Elfman's name and music.

As of noon today, and according to Randy Baumberger (Sr. VP at Disneyland - the guy responsible for foods and merchandise), there are currently no plans to offer a CD this year. They want to do it, but there are some technical challenges.

I've been on the receiving end of a dozen conflicting e-mails, half swearing that their "best friends brother's second wife's child's father owns the company that is making the CDs", the other half swearing that there won't be a CD this year.

I don't know what to make of those, but I believe Randy - he's about as official as you can get.

I know that they want to make a CD. I know that nothing is final yet. But, as of right now, a CD is not being produced this year.

AVP

Flubber
09-19-2002, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by AVP
As of noon today, and according to Randy Baumberger (Sr. VP at Disneyland - the guy responsible for foods and merchandise), there are currently no plans to offer a CD this year. They want to do it, but there are some technical challenges.

Technical challenges. Riiiight.

Just send me the files. I'll mix it and burn it myself. :)

refurbmike
09-19-2002, 04:04 PM
Am I the only person dreading the new score?

I thought that last year's music was perfect for the holiday makeover. It was fun and perfectly combined both spirits of holiday (pardon the pun). I'm afraid that Elfman's music will be too scary/haunting and not appropriate for a Disney attraction.

For those who say he's rightfully entitled since it's an NBC ride, I would remind you that it is also a Disney ride and must be catered appropriately. The music should combine fun with haunting, just as the normal HM does.

On a side note, I wonder how much the music will affect the storyline, if at all. For example, will we still hear Leota's 13 days of Christmas?

Ghoulish Delight
09-19-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
I am trying to remember (since going by ear wouldn't do much), did they use any of Danny's music that he composed for the movie or the ride last year? If not then we may have the perfect reason why they didn't use it. If they write their own songs and have variations on old music (for example Carol of the Bells) then they don't have to pay royalties. NBC is a Disney production. The own the distribution rights. And even if they did have royalties to pay, they couldn't have been that much more than the cost of composing and recording an entirely new score. From all accounts, the decission to go with the new music, rather than the movie music, was creative.

Although, here's what I think. The basic reason, so it has been reported, was that simply using the already recorded music would not have worked well because it is not paced to the ride. It would not synch up well. So they were going to have to record a new score anyway. Whoever they got to do the new score surely would charge less than Elfman to do it.

MickeyD
09-19-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by refurbmike
I thought that last year's music was perfect for the holiday makeover. It was fun and perfectly combined both spirits of holiday (pardon the pun). I'm afraid that Elfman's music will be too scary/haunting and not appropriate for a Disney attraction.

I will reserve judgement until I actually hear the soundtrack, but I do know that Elfman is perfectly capable of making a soundtrack that is not too scary or haunting. Was the soundtrack of NBC too scary or haunting for you? I don't really remember it, as I only saw it once, but for instance, I don't find The Simpson's theme too scary or haunting.

Ok, how many mousepadders read refurbmike's post and thought, ooh, I bet MickeyD's got something to say about that! (Nothing personal refurbmike, I'm just an Elfman fan.) :D

refurbmike
09-19-2002, 04:42 PM
Lemme clarify before I get slammed by the tons. I love Elfman. I think his music for NBC was cool. However, I didn't think NBC was really appropriate for children, nor it's music. I'm just afraid that this music will be too scary for lil ones, unlike last year which had a fun element to it.

MickeyD
09-19-2002, 04:44 PM
I certainly didn't mean my post as a slam. Again, I'll take a wait and see attitude, but, I believe that Elfman will do a good job and I'm sure he knows that the target audience for the Haunted Mansion is people of all ages.

AVP
09-19-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Flubber
Technical challenges. Riiiight.

Just send me the files. I'll mix it and burn it myself. :) If you know of a place that can burn, print, pack and deliver 100,000 copies in 7 days from getting the master, let me know.

I'm serious - name, address and phone number of the company. I'll pass it along.

AVP

SzczerbiakManiac
09-19-2002, 06:42 PM
I can understand them not being able to have the CD available by opening night. But does that preclude them from releasing it in the following three months HMH is open? :confused:

Cadaverous Pallor
09-19-2002, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by refurbmike
...I didn't think NBC was really appropriate for children, nor it's music. I'm just afraid that this music will be too scary for lil ones, unlike last year which had a fun element to it. :eek: ???:eek:
Wow, don't take this as a slam, but this surprises me. IMO, NBC's music is nothing but fun. Maybe this is just me (who grew up watching scary movies) but I don't see how the music is "scary" enough to warrant a decree of "too frightening for children". Walking down the usual hallway from the stretching room to the buggies, including the rainstorm outside, the changing portraits, the spooky theme tolling like a bell.....that's scary! I don't see how the songs "This is Halloween" and "Making Christmas" are any scarier.

Oh, and MickeyD, if you are an Elfman fan, pick up the NBC soundtrack - it's distilled Elfman! :)