PDA

View Full Version : We've got it better....

Pages : [1] 2 3

thekirk
09-17-2002, 03:34 PM
Wow...I was looking at the diffrences between Disneyland, and the Magic Kingdown in FL, and Disneyland sounds way better. Even though Disneyland is much smaller, we have the Matterhorn, and the MK doesn't.....the Matterhorn is awesome...and our Pirates is way better too! And we have New Orleans Square...and they don't (they have Liberty Square...but who cares 'bout that)......who (someone who also has been to Disneyland) has been to the MK in FL...what did you think of it? I'm not talking about the two resorts..I'm just talking about Disneyland, and the Magical Kingdom.

innerSpaceman
09-17-2002, 03:37 PM
There's a reason why my friends and I have always referred to Florida's MK as 'The Tragic Kingdom.'

I don't want to go into details (I've done that plenty of times on these boards about that pathetic travesty of a Disneyland imitation), but suffice it to say that Anaheim has it hands down over Orlando in the magic kingdom department.

Gemini Cricket
09-17-2002, 04:26 PM
Disneyland has the better:
Main Street
IASW
POTC
Space Mtn
HM
BTM
Tiki Room
Fantasmic!

Plus Disneyland uniquely has (Between the 2):
Indy
Matterhorn

WDW's Magic Kingdom has the better:
Castle
JC
Splash Mtn
Treehouse
TSI

But MK uniquely has (between the 2):
Alien Encounter
Buzz Lightyear

RStar
09-17-2002, 04:27 PM
Yes, but is WDW tomarrowland nearly as tragic as DLs?:eek:

Gemini Cricket
09-17-2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by RStar
Yes, but is WDW tomarrowland nearly as tragic as DLs?
No. I think WDW's Tomorrowland has a better theme.

RStar
09-17-2002, 04:30 PM
But the real question is, does most of it work (compared to DL where only 20% is working:crying: )?

Gemini Cricket
09-17-2002, 04:33 PM
But the real question is, does most of it work (compared to DL where only 20% is working:crying: )?
The last time I was there, 1999, everything was working. (Even The Timekeeper.)

However, they don't have Star Tours there, it's at the Studios park.

MK's TL needed upkeep, but their Tomorrowland was in wayyy better shape than DL's. Besides, Alien Encounter really made a positive impact on me. :)

rexfarms
09-17-2002, 05:02 PM
We have the personal touch of Walt himself. Nothing can beat that. DL is has much more of a Magic feel. And we like to tell the WDW people too.:)

cstephens
09-17-2002, 05:16 PM
Yes, but is WDW tomarrowland nearly as tragic as DLs?:eek:

Actually, they have our old Tomorrowland - white Space Mountain, Rocket Jets, PeopleMover...sigh.

But, I don't like their Space Mountain ride track. I much prefer ours.

Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
Disneyland has the better:
IASW
Fantasmic!

I completely agree there. I was very disappointed in their Small World, and the only part of Fantasmic that I liked better at MK was that Sorcerer Mickey was on top of a hill rather than a shack.

Plus Disneyland uniquely has (Between the 2):
Indy
Matterhorn

I believe Mr. Toad should be added to that as well.

Castle
Splash Mtn

I completely agree about Splash (theirs had such vibrant colors), but I'm not sure I agree about the Castle. Yes, theirs is bigger, but I'm not sure that's necessarily better. It was cool to be able to eat inside the castle and look out into Fantasyland, but I also like being able to walk through our castle, back when you could walk through our castle...

But MK uniquely has (between the 2):
Alien Encounter
Buzz Lightyear

I believe Country Bear Jamboree should be added to that as well.

I liked Buzz Lightyear and wouldn't mind having that at DL, but I couldn't stand Alien Encounter and want that to stay far away from Anaheim.

teri
09-17-2002, 05:27 PM
The first few times we went to WDW with our kids, they had no experience with Disneyland. Then, we went to Disneyland a few times, staying onsite for 2-3 day trips, pre-DCA. We had such a great time there!

The next time we went to WDW, my son made a bee-line for Fantasyland. He kept looking around, trying to find it... when we told him we were there, in Fantasyland, right now, he broke out in tears! He was stunned! Where was everything?

We don't focus on MK at WDW. One time we skipped it completely, just did the other parks, then flew into LA and went to Disneyland before heading over to the inlaws.

Not Afraid
09-17-2002, 05:41 PM
Castle
[/B]

I have to get a wee bit off topic here and mention that the "King" of all castles resides at Disneyland Paris. As much as I LOVE Sleeping Beauty's Castle at DL, she definately moved up in the world when the DLP castle was built - and her roommate ain't bad either.:cool:

Morrigoon
09-17-2002, 05:50 PM
It's the guy who lives downstairs you gotta watch out for! ;)

Ace
09-17-2002, 07:31 PM
No. I think WDW's Tomorrowland has a better theme.

Better theme meaning CLEAN concrete? If they'd do even that, I'd be happy. You don't see dirty buildings or paths anywhere else in the park...

Laffite
09-17-2002, 07:51 PM
Oh boy..hot topic!

I was riding POTC by myself in front of 2 very talkative boys of same age. They were talking about "wow, we don't have this room" or "wow, this their ride is longer". They were obviously from FL and comparing DL to WDW, and I wanted to turn around and punch them in their faces, because it's obvious that DL is better than WDW! DL is THE ORIGINAL!! Nothing beats that!

The ER in HM has a purpose, to get people across the railroad tracks, and the room is actualy an elevator, while ERs at WDW HM is just a mimic of the our with rising ceiling. That's nothing. You guys are right, DL is better because it has the "magic" of being the original, and they can't build that magic at the WDW.

I can go more but too lazy now, so I'll add on later.

Lost Boy
09-17-2002, 08:11 PM
I, personally, find the Magic Kingdom in Florida to big to enjoy. Too much walking between Lands. There idea of Toontown is nothing compared to ours. Ours has more of a "Family" feel about it, especially with our Cast Members. They are always friendly and talk about things with me. I have had many friends (met thru the Internet) who always put down Disneyland, because it was "So Old" or "So Small, they can't have very much in there" , etc. Then they come for a visit, and so far, everyone of them has appoligized profously and said they absolutly loved Disneyland! I do think they have the better Splash Mountain with more figures, animation on the back walls and a slower pace in order to tell the story. I loved Alien Encounter and wish we had it here instead of another place to eat, at inflated prices. I do prefer our "Little Castle" it just looks so neat. And, we have the one thing no other Disney Park has. Walt. His spirit is in this place. You can feel it. His Apartment is there still above the Fire House on Main Street. The light always on in the window. Not for the reason you might think, but to remind all the Cast Members that he is watching. Walt had a Dream. That Dream became Disneyland. Dreams do come true.

Techie7
09-17-2002, 08:38 PM
One of the things that is so magical about Disneyland is how it uses space. Going to WDW they have space (lots of it). They can put in just about anything and no one thinks a second thought. Disneyland on the other hand has limited space and has come up with creative solutions to the spacing issue. Many of these solutions make the park seem much larger (placing many attractions outside the park). As Cemeinke has said before, much of Disney's top work comes in solutions to difficult problems. The stretch room in HM to get you under the train tracks, the waterfalls on POTC, the transformation that TSI and NOS make to Fantasmic rather then building a venue just for the show. All of these are what makes Disneyland so special. Along with that Walt walked the park and his hand touched so many things. To look at the impact that Disneyland has had on the state and the country is huge. While WDW has Epcot which is amazing, the DLR has the original Disneyland which is still Amazing.

Laffite
09-17-2002, 09:33 PM
Thanks to Tech and LB for saying those things that I wanted to say but too lazy to type it all out :( other than that I feel exactly the same way you guys do. DL has Walt's magic of being the original, and they can't "build" or "fake" magics at the "other" park (including DCA :rolleyes: )

Originally posted by Lost Boy

His Apartment is there still above the Fire House on Main Street. The light always on in the window. Not for the reason you might think, but to remind all the Cast Members that he is watching.

That's right! It reminds the CMs that he IS watching so they'd best get back to work! Bwaha ha ha!!

mad4mky
09-18-2002, 08:03 AM
Did anyone mention that we also have "Alice in Wonderland"? That is unique to DL as well. While WDW has the teacups, which is covered, and DLParis has the "Curious Labyrinth"...the "Alice in Wonderland" ride is ours alone.:D

teri
09-18-2002, 08:40 AM
Alice in Wonderland, Storybook Canal Boats, Casey Jr Circus Train, Matterhorn -- that whole area is missing in MK.

mad4mky
09-18-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by teri
Alice in Wonderland, Storybook Canal Boats, Casey Jr Circus Train, Matterhorn -- that whole area is missing in MK.

But they do have the Storybook Canal Boats and Casey Jr. at Disneyland Paris...and I think, as well as other's think, their castle and their IASW is much better than either one of our US park's...as well as their POTC...and Space Mtn...
my 02.

Course, the thread started as comparing DL to WDW's Magic Kingdom, right? Sorry...I just had to throw in that other comparison.

Out of the 3 Magic Kingdom's I have been to...nothing still beats our Indy ride here in California...(well, Tower of Terror is great...but it's not at the MK).:rolleyes:

hbquikcomjamesl
09-18-2002, 09:01 AM
WDW-MK has Timekeeper, Carousel of Progress, Hall of Presidents, the original Country Bear Jamboree, Tomorrowland Transit Authority (i.e., modernized Peoplemover), Alien Encounter, and probably a few others I didn't notice. They have Liberty Square.

We have the Matterhorn, Alice, Indy, Mr. Toad, Storybook Land, Casey Jr., and probably a few others I didn't notice missing in WDW-MK. We have New Orleans Square and Critter Country.

We have a better Fantasyland, and it looks very much like we have a better Toontown. They have a better Tomorrowland. We have a better Small World, Pirates, and Haunted Mansion. They have a better castle and a better Main Street Railroad Station.

They have more space, a full basement in which to hide most of backstage, and a parade route that doesn't have a "blind" end at Main Street.

We have The Master's Touch.

hefferdude
09-18-2002, 10:08 AM
Fact: Disneyland is the original. Along with the appearance
and attractions in the park, it also has to soul of being the
original theme park created by none other than WD himself.

Now in fairness: MK in WDW also has things to offer that DL
does not. Being a fan of the cable cars, MK had a better
CC ride ( turned a corner even ) than DL. Alas they are
nevermore. :crying:
I particularly liked (1) Alien Encounters ( seriously spooked :eek: )
(2) Tomorrowland Transit (3) and being a northeasterner I
REALLY enjoyed Liberty Square. ( I am so very tired of So Cal adobe, red tile rooves and palm trees. :sleep:
I concur with other comments about WDW being more expansive
but as I seem to recall, this was WD's own plan by design.

Speaking of DLP, I love the castle's title ( and please excuse
the bad spelling - I'm only a yankee)
" Chateau de la Belle a du boi Dormant."

:D

thekirk
09-18-2002, 03:03 PM
Wow....this thread really took off! You have great input......Disneyland has New Orleans Square........I don't see how any Magical Kingdom could live without it.....it's my favorite part of Disneyland. I wish I could live up in the gallery....that would be awesome!

Thanks again for everyone's comments!

Laffite
09-18-2002, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by thekirk
I wish I could live up in the gallery....that would be awesome!

I wish I could live in a house like HM...but you all probably know that :D I think DL has the best HM exterior, too.

JCLowesman
09-18-2002, 06:58 PM
DL has smog.

MK has humidity.

DL has Earthquakes.

MK has Tropical Storms.

DL has I-5.

MK has I-4.

DL has Anaheim sprawl.

MK has Orlando y'all.

DL has DCA.

MK has. . .has . . .uh. . .umm. . .duh. . . ooops.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. Should this have been an actual derailment, a warning tone would have sounded and you would be advised to tune to your local ABC affiliate for additional information.