PDA

View Full Version : Staying at Grand California Hotel (Help)

snappy
09-16-2002, 08:35 PM
Question to all you experts!
* Currently an Premium A.P Holder and would like to experience this hotel with my wife.
* Was quoted $250.00 for one night(Ouch!) (Friday 9/20)
* Is there any discounts for APer's?
*Is $250.00 sound about right?
*Planning on staying only 1 night since we only live in Santa Monica, Ca.
*Is the hotel really worth it?
*As APer's we love both parks but dollar for dollar is it worth it.
Thank you very much for your help.

bluepearl
09-16-2002, 08:43 PM
Erm...I don't know how much this being the middle of September affects prices, but it sounds within the ballpark. :shrug: I stayed there in February and paid a total of nearly $180, at the CM rate. In the middle of July, it cost me about $225 at the CM rate.

We stayed in a regular room, which isn't GRAND, but it's cozy. We got theme park views both times and I really love DCA at night. Depends on what your view of value is. Sure, you can sit around the lobby during the day without staying at the hotel, but it was something different for me to sit in the lobby at 2AM, with the fire blazing and nothing but the air conditioning blasting. I really enjoyed walking around the hotel at that time of night.

teri
09-16-2002, 08:48 PM
Did you inquire about Annual Passholder Super Sunday Rates?

Expedia as showing $281 for that date. If AP SS rates are sold out, that might be the best you can do.

kranders
09-17-2002, 06:05 AM
Definitely call back and see if you can get a better rate. I've never stayed at the GCH but have several times at the DLH and sometimes you have to call back two or three times to get the lowest rate.

Ask for the AP "Super Sunday" rate (valid even though it's not a Sunday!) and let them know if you have AAA or anything. Sometimes AAA will beat out the AP rate.

You can usually tell if you have someone who's working with you to get the best rate as opposed to just quoting what's placed in front of them.

Good luck.

Not Afraid
09-17-2002, 07:34 AM
Make sure you check Mousesavers (http://www.mousesavers.com/dlresorts.html#expedia) , If there are deals available, they will be listed there. I found my $159 GC rate there (end of January).

MissLemon
09-17-2002, 01:26 PM
Hi all...first time poster/long time lurker.

I thought I'd relay a recent experience we had with GCH.

My husband called in early June and made reservations for a Fri/Sat stay in mid August and was pretty pleased with himself when he was quoted $259 a night theme park view w/military discount. We had fully anticipated more in the $300's range.

Well once we got the confirmation in the mail it said $349 a night...eek! So I got on the phone to find out what was up. She said she didn't know what happened, but not only did we not have a theme park view but it didn't indicate a military discount either. She said the best she could do for was a $229 conceirge room! So I jumped on it. Now I don't know if she was making concessions for a botched up reservation or this is a normal offering for a military discount or what. But, I say call back and try any discount means available to you...turn in those Blue Chip stamps! (JK - do they still make those things?).

Is it worth it? yes and no, it's a beautiful hotel and I like immersing myself in the atmosphere of it all - even if it is just a place to crash for the night. Our room was what I consider a standard size, nicely decorated with a neat little balcony over looking the monorail track. Could I have gotten the same thing across the street at one of the dozen or so off property hotels for half the price?...for the most part, yeah. But we were at Disneyland and wanted to splurge and sleep in one of Mickey's houses. I have stayed at many places while visiting the parks...DLH, PP, Castle Inn, Hilton, Jolly Roger and now GCH. And I have to say, and I'm sure it's all in my head, but I seem to have a more complete or well rounded visit when we stay at one of the DL Resort hotels.

Come on...have some fun, you know you want to!

roberts1398
09-17-2002, 02:42 PM
I gotta say ... if this is a garden variety room, that seems really high ... But I also just checked Expedia, which was I think $229 last week and like teri said is now $281 ... something must be going on there that weekend.

I can't imagine spending $250 plus $37.50 tax for a single night in a hotel -- any hotel. But that's my personal opinion. I think for a single night in a place like DLR, I'd go for a less expensive but really nice room. DLH is currently $149 on Expedia for that date(also $20 higher than last week), and that's more reasonable. Or do the Embassy Suites, which I think are doing a $99 rate right now, and I hear WONDERFUL things about them, or the Candy Cane if it isn't sold out.

IMHO...

Ace
09-17-2002, 08:31 PM
DON'T TOUCH THE MINI BARS!!!!!!!!!!!

MouseWife
09-17-2002, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
DON'T TOUCH THE MINI BARS!!!!!!!!!!!

Heed his words!!

If you merely touch/move the stuff, it goes on your bill.
If you want to use a fridge, and you know you won't be buying anything {or to keep away the temptation} tell them to lock it and ask for a seperate one.

We always have our own sodas and hubby usually just empties out their stuff and puts in ours. Doesn't work there.

justagrrl
09-18-2002, 06:36 AM
Who needs a fridge. Isn't that what the ice machine and sink in the bathroom is for? ;)

I can only imagine how expensive it is though - in Vegas a bottle of water (small - very small) sitting on the counter (ours didn't come with a bar so it wasn't even cold) was $5.50.

They really ream you good with those prices.

Even more amusing was the hotel that didn't sell 6 or 12 packs of beer. (some of the hotels have a liquore store inside.) OF course, they'll send them up to you via room service at 6.00 a piece. (that's per beer - not per "pack".)

Bringing in beer from "outside" is a no-no too. (this was all at the hard rock hotel.) We ended up having to smuggle it in, in our luggage. lol.

teri
09-18-2002, 07:56 AM
I think the extra fridge is complimentary at the Grand Californian. Isn't it?

They are good about warning you about the minibar charges at check-in, and they are happy to lock it for you. We got a surprise bill at another luxury hotel though... our kids had rummaged through the sensored minibar and we had no idea.

Kimi_Coconuts
09-18-2002, 09:09 AM
I was just at Disneyland and toured the GC while staying at the Disneyland hotel. I would pick the DH over GC anyday. The rooms are much bigger and nicer IMO. I was shocked at the size of the rooms at GC and they just seemed okay in the decor. Now the hotel lobby is beautiful and beyond compare but you can utilize the lobby and stay at the DH. As a passholder you can stay for $99 a night at the DH (not sure about Fridays) and I do not think you will be disappointed at all in the hotel.

teri
09-18-2002, 09:21 AM
KimiCoconuts, I agree with you. The only reason I am staying at the GC again is because my husband wants to try it, and we were able to get the $169 AP-SS rate for a DTD view on the weekend we are there. I love the Disneyland Hotel.

When I stayed at the GC, it was as if I were back in Wilderness Lodge, or Animal Kingdom Lodge -- exact same room, just a different motif. But it is very convenient... it may grow on us. And Whitewater Snacks is becoming one of my favorite "retreat" places to eat.