PDA

View Full Version : About that New DL Pirate Ship...

merlinjones
09-16-2002, 04:03 PM
Hey, I read somewhere recently that a Long Beach shipyard is busy building a full scale Pirate Ship to be used in the new Pirates of the Carribbean movie.

It struck me that, once it is done shooting... perhaps this new ship could be retrofitted to look like the dearly departed Captain Hook Pirate Ship at Disneyland and reinstalled with a new Skull Rock for the 50th anniversary.

I mean, why waste a fully built and rigged ship that's already paid for?

Imagineers? Cynthia?

Morrigoon
09-16-2002, 04:16 PM
That would require synergy ;)

swcrazy
09-16-2002, 04:28 PM
There is going to be a pirates of the caribbean movie? What's wrong with them. Didn't the country bears teach them anything?

Whose responsible? :mad:

Hydroman
09-16-2002, 04:40 PM
Assuming PP and ME are still in charge, I would expect the ship to wind up at TDS or the Hong Kong park, since those locations are on the water and NOT at DL.:(

Ace
09-16-2002, 04:43 PM
where was the old skull rock?

Sailor Butterfly
09-16-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by swcrazy
There is going to be a pirates of the caribbean movie? What's wrong with them. Didn't the country bears teach them anything?

Whose responsible? :mad:

Actually, the Pirates movie sounds really good....unlike the impending Haunted Mansion movie. *shudders*

Here's a link for the Pirates movie. Warning spoilers ahead: http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/368/368712p1.html

And here's for the Haunted Mansion one.
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/364/364514p1.html

Tref
09-16-2002, 05:06 PM
A Pirates of the Carribbean movie? Will those Pirates be chasing around woman holding plates of food, too?

Finally we'll know the answer to the question that has dogged all Disneyland goers since the very early days: if those luckless guys in the prison ever convince the dog to bring them the jail-door key!

i remain,

Not Afraid
09-16-2002, 05:10 PM
A Pirate Ship being built in Long Beach??????? Must go investigate!

RStar
09-16-2002, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
where was the old skull rock?

The best I can tell, it was in the same spot that the Dumbo ride is on now. Does that sound right to anyone else?

Klutch
09-16-2002, 05:41 PM
It appears you are right about the Pirate Ship being where Dumbo now sits. Here's a site with Pirate Ship Fun-Facts and a few pictures to boot:

http://www.pacificsites.com/~drhoades/trivia.htm

Lost Boy
09-16-2002, 08:49 PM
It sat exactly where Dumbo now resides. In the site you directed us to, the ariel photo may be a little confusing for those not familer with the "old" Fantasyland. The Tea Cups were right behind the carousel and in front of the Pirate Ship (Which was really a "Chicken of the Sea" tuna sandwich and salad food place, with seats to eat at out by the lagoon and Skull Rock which was added after a few years of just having the Pirate Ship). The Tea Cups were moved over to where they are now, by the [then new] Alice ride, the carrousel was moved back to where it now sits (or will sit again when they rebuild it) and Dumbo was moved over from the side and enlarged. I think some rework was done on Casey Jr.s also to make room for Dumbo by moving the load station.

Cadaverous Pallor
09-16-2002, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by swcrazy

Whose responsible? :mad: FYI to those that may be out of the loop - these ride movies were all conceived around the same time. The CB movie was still in production when they announced the PotC and HM movies. So I guess they thought the CB movie would be a hit. :rolleyes:

The PotC and HM movies have me worried, but they might be good. I'll reserve judgement.

As for recreating skull rock....I am continually amazed at how everyone lives in the past. Did you know that when they removed it, I was 6 years old? I have no recollection of it. If they took it out, it's pretty much gone, ok? Why can't we move on?

Of course, as I say all this, they have restored Small World to its former glory. So don't listen to me, sit around and daydream about a transportation system of the future that goes 5 mph.

Laffite
09-16-2002, 10:11 PM
I love the POTC and HM so I will see it anyway, regardless if the movies will crash and burn. But, with Jerry Bruckheimer it's can't be that bad. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like the movie is based on the ride very much, ie Laffite's backward dreams of his journey and other acutal pirate figures like Blackbeard.

EDIT: now that I read the HM story, it kidda sucks that the movie is only "loosely" based on the ride. Wouldn't it be cool if they adapt the "Captain/pirate of the Columbia" story? The POTC movie would be about the captain of the Columbia, and the HM movie would be him owning a house which turns into the well-known story of HM. Oh man! That works out soo well! :D

Not Afraid
09-16-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Cadaverous Pallor

As for recreating skull rock....I am continually amazed at how everyone lives in the past. Did you know that when they removed it, I was 6 years old? I have no recollection of it. If they took it out, it's pretty much gone, ok? Why can't we move on?

If you DID have a recollection of it, you would know why it is missed. Fortunately, there is a magnificant Skull Rock at DLP that actually surpasses the original. They have more room at DLP.

The question of moving on............there's not as much to move on to. SR was removed and a fantastic Fantasyland was put in place. Good things! We are not experiencing that kind of luxury currently - yet.