PDA

View Full Version : Rainforest- What's the fuss?

Pages : [1] 2

adriennek
09-15-2002, 07:31 PM
Ok, I keep hearing people say they've heard great things about Rainforest Cafe or that they just love it. I don't get it.

I've been there a few times and each time I think maybe it will be better. The service hasn't been that good and the food's been ok. But my most recent experience made me reluctant to give them another try at all.

We spent the day at the DLR with our good friends from up north. They love RC and have one of those cards, so they suggested we try it for lunch. We were celebrating three birthdays and this was our big meal for the day.

We were seated quickly. That's good.

We had our drinks quickly. That was good.

But a couple things happened. First, in my experience, there are two kinds of questions. One kind is to give you choices for what comes with your meal. These questions have a certain inflection and some examples are, "baked potato, mashed potato or rice pilaf?" and "do you want soup or salad?"

The other style is when the server asks if you want to upgrade your meal. Those questions have a different inflection and are worded like, "Do you want to add soup or a salad with that?" Or "Do you want onion rings for 95 cents extra?"

Well, we ordered and my friends were asked a question that fit the "baked, mashed or pilaf" category: "Fries or fruit?" They both chose fruit. But when the bill came, there was an extra charge for the fruit! We were quite surprised.

My friend had told our waiter that we were celebrating three birthdays and at the end of the meal, he brought us 3 little desserts with candles after our meal. We were surprised that we were charged $2 each for the desserts.

On top of all this, the speedy service dropped off after the drinks. Granted, we had a large-ish group, but after a long wait for our food, we had to wait longer for our waiter to ever show up and take care of our plates and bill. Imagine doing this with 4 kids 6 and under who just wanted to get going to ride more rides! It was a LONG meal.

What annoys me is that because our party was over 6 people, we were automatically charged a 17% gratuity. So these added charges resulted in an automatically larger tip for the server.

Now, I understand the reasons behind automatic gratuities, in theory, but I'm a naturally good tipper and I have found that most of our friends are, too. In fact, we joke about how well we tip. We often leave above and beyond the automatic tips when we're in large groups. But this meal did not deserve a 17% tip. I resent feeling like the waiter's going to be tipped no matter what so he can let our service slide and concentrate on the smaller parties who have to determine their own tips.

I don't feel like there as many options at DtD for families with young children as there are for older groups, but I really don't know what the big deal is about Rainforest.

BTW, does anyone know if you can challenge an automatic gratuity, legally? If we had paid cash, I may have just left less than the amount on the bill, frankly. We were in a hurry on Saturday and had no desire to waste any more time in the restaurant than we already had. I think next time I'd go ahead and leave with the kids and leave a representative behind to talk to the manager and get the gratuity removed.

Adrienne K

disneynut
09-15-2002, 07:58 PM
Adrienne~We've been to the DtD Rainforest Cafe a few times and I have no idea why we continue going back. Actually, that's not entirely true...we continue to go because my kids love the atmosphere and beg to go there when we are in L.A. or at the wharf in S.F. The food isn't all that memorable and our service is always miserable. Although the one in S.F. is much better about service than the Disney one.

We too have been with large groups there and are not happy to see the automatic tip added. I know it says on their menu that the tip will be added for large groups but it always bites because many servers seem to know your tip is a sure thing and they focus on other tables.

I know about the fruit and fries that you are talking about because the same thing happened to us when my husband ordered fries with his dinner. We went back to the menu and it does say that it is an extra charge but the way it was worded by our waiter, we just assumed that fries came with the dinner.

I've never been there for a birthday. I'm amazed that they can charge for a dessert they just bring out.

I'd be interested to know about the automatic gratuity. I've never thought to question it but there have been a few times that I would've liked to.

I guess the draw to Rainforest is they have a very creative atmosphere and if you've never been there it's something that would attract your interest. Like I said earlier (and like you pointed out too) my kids are the reason we go. I could not imagine taking my kids to Catal or one of the other restaurants. Between the price of the food, the menu items, and the atmosphere, they just don't strike me as kid friendly places. Although we make the trek every trip, it kills me to pay $11.00 for each of my kids to eat a banana and have a glass of milk at Goofy's Kitchen. (Yes, I do realize I'm paying for atmosphere there as well.)

teri
09-15-2002, 08:04 PM
Oooh, that is not good news... I was thinking about doing my daughter's birthday meal there as an alternative to our usual character birthdays for the kids. The big kids eat like horses -- given extra choices like that, I can imagine the bill. There will be 6-9 of us there, I think.

In all the times I have been to WDW and DLR, I have yet to try Rainforest because we usually get there and find a long wait, which my son cannot tolerate.

It sounds like you got particularly bad service that night - I probably would write a letter now. At least the manager would be aware of the issue.

lisap
09-15-2002, 08:52 PM
Ok--a few things crossin' my mind:

--We were charged an automatic 17% gratuity at Catal for our group of ten. Perhaps this is a DTD-wide standard? Don't know.

--Our kids really enjoy Rainforest. We've been there twice as a special treat for them, and grandma takes them to the South Coast Plaza one quite a bit. We have only gone as a family of four, so perhaps the group service is what causes trouble--we've had pretty good luck so far. I would much rather go to Storyteller and Eandc would rather ESPN, but what can we say--our little tyrants rule our lives ;)

--There's a point in the day where you will settle for average food at inflated prices to have a few moments peace as the chitlins talk to the anaimatronic gorilla. Some of you can identify with this. ;) I love feeding french fries to the ducks from the Hungry Bear, but sometimes it's fun for the kids to have a change. I totally agree that DTD needs some more family friendly resturaunts--they would make a mint!

p.s. Adrienne--that birthday dessert thing--unbelievable. I would not ever be interested in going back after the negative experience you had. I would have talked to the manager right then and there. Teri is right--you should write them.

Largent81
09-15-2002, 09:03 PM
A friend of mine recently told me of several bad experiences she has had at the DTD Rainforest Cafe.

I couldn't believe some of the stuff she told me. Once she asked to talk to the manager and he gave her a free meal, but she didn't feel like he really "cared". (This was on an occasion where she witnessed a waitress drop a tray full of plates and leave the mess for atleast 15 mins. Broken glass was scattered and there were children walking by.)

Her stories alone made me not want to try this particular Rainforest Cafe. But now, I don't know that I'll try any of them.

Morrigoon
09-15-2002, 10:30 PM
If the service is bad enough to warrant complaining to the manager, then yes, I'd say you have fair reason to argue against the 17% gratuity and get it removed from the bill. Obviously in both cases you'd want to talk to the manager immediately.

GoldenEars
09-16-2002, 03:29 AM
I've gone to the Disney RFC many of times, and each time I did, I had a wonderful experience. The food was great, the service terrific, and of course, the atmosphere fun! It is a place that is expected to be a little more pricey than others, and so I go in there knowing I'm going to pay extra for fries or fruit, or whatever! I'm sorry to hear that some people haven't had the same wonderful experience as me. Luckily, there are many other places to choose from if you're really irritated with them.:D

Patrick

baileykat
09-16-2002, 05:49 AM
We've eaten at this RFC ourselves for a bday dinner and we too were charged for the "complimentary" dessert! Bad service in a restaurant is one of my top pet peeves! My husband is a restaurant GM and if our service is bad, you can bet someone's gonna hear about it! Doesn't matter if it's his restaurant or another....His take on this is two fold...

1. If your service truly sucks....the 17% should be negotiable! Talk to the manager immediately! If they want you back as a customer, they should do something to appease you!!! Be it discount on your next visit, comp your meal or waive the gratuity!
The most important thing, says dear husband, is to speak up! If that server is really slacking off, he needs to know!!!

OR....

2. Large tables can be taxing on servers. Sometimes very demanding...My husband will usually try to put his better servers with larger tables, but even then, he sometimes gets complaints. It may not be the servers fault that your food comes out late or not the way you ordered it or cold...etc...they are just the front line! BUT that is no excuse for not visiting the table, checking on guests, being appologetic and being clear on menu options!!!

On RFC, we've been to the DTD one...very crowded...very busy...service was iffy!!! PRICES were awful! That gorilla is pretty pricey! Food was ok....not great! We've also eaten at the one in Vegas...service was better..still busy...Food was ok....again...your paying for the gorilla! But just like LisaP, sometimes you Want to pay for the gorilla for a few minutes of silence! NOT that it's every quiet in RFC...but when no one is whining at you or fighting over what ride is next, it's worth it...

Bottom line on the 17%...IMHO...it's your money...you don't have to pay unless you want to!

lilblckrncloud
09-16-2002, 06:37 AM
I shared my experiences in a previous thread, and I have to say I was also very unimpressed with RFC. (Short recap: horrible service, disgusting food, loooooooong waits once the food was ordered) The 2 times I had been there were truly awful, but like you, I hoped it would be better when I went again last week. This time the service was at least friendly, even tho it took forever for the food to come. This time the waiter actually alerted us to the fact that our entrees would take about 20 minutes to be served and checked back with us several times to make sure we were doing ok. Also, unlike the last two times, the food was palatable and hot (I had the Rasta Pasta). However, the rest of the experience still left much to be desired and I doubt I will make the mistake of going again. All of the other people who worked there seemed to be annoyed that we were bothering them, from the guy who took my name at the front to the woman upstairs who seated us. They just seemed bored and snobby, which to me seems like the exact opposite of how people in a place like that should act.

Pixie Glitter
09-16-2002, 06:37 AM
Adrienne,

As another restaurant manager's wife, I can definitely state that the "automatic" gratuity that gets added to large parties' checks is, despite whatever the menu states, NOT mandatory. You can always talk to the manager and explain why you are not going to tip that much (or at all, if the service was truly terrible). I am pretty sure my husband has said that it is actually illegal to add gratuity to the check IF the guest states that they disagree with it. The key here is speaking up.

And like you, I don't get the big deal with RFC. My experience has been poor to mediocre food that is overpriced, and average at best service. That's why we don't frequent RFCs anywhere.

kranders
09-16-2002, 06:51 AM
I've also had problems at RFC. I ordered the Eggs Benedict at breakfast and it came out cold. Sent it back and got another cold plate. The problem was that the sauce was cold and it cooled off the eggs. I told the waitress that I wanted to talk to the manager about it. After a long wait we finally had a jr manager come by. Once I told him that he didn't need to comp my meal, that I just wanted to let him and the kitchen know so they could correct the problem, he seemed to not care about our concern.

I'll never be back!

adriennek
09-16-2002, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by baileykat

2. Large tables can be taxing on servers. Sometimes very demanding...My husband will usually try to put his better servers with larger tables, but even then, he sometimes gets complaints. It may not be the servers fault that your food comes out late or not the way you ordered it or cold...etc...they are just the front line! BUT that is no excuse for not visiting the table, checking on guests, being appologetic and being clear on menu options!!!

I think that was my main problem. The wait for the food annoyed me but I tried to be understanding because we WERE a big group. But that doesn't explain disappearing and not checking on us after the food came.

I do know that having children in a group can make a meal harder, too. The kids cups with lids take longer to fill and put together, you can't see in them to remember whose is which cup, etc. And when my kids are hungry, they're just not as patient and understanding as most adults ;) That's why I try to tip well and I tip really well when I have good service. In fact, I REGULARLY ask to speak to the manager to tell them when I've had GREAT service! Heck, I left a note in "Jack's Mailbox" at Jack-in-the-Box the other day because my the guy behind the counter was friendly and helpful and made me want to go back again.... I've tracked down restaurant websites to report exceptional locations to headquarters, even.

Re: Talking Gorillas-- I forgot this part. My son actually is terrified of the gorillas and the thunder storm. When we checked in, we told this to the girl at the check-in counter. So when she sent us in and upstairs, we got there and they told us, "We're putting you next to a gorilla is that ok?" HELLO. Do you think I just mentioned it to make idle chit-chat? Matthew did one of those preschool fear-filled tantrum things where he was screaming "No!" and tried to escape to get as far away from the gorillas as possible. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, we let him choose his seat at the table so he could pick what he thought was the furthest seat from the gorilla. He was a very brave kid, considering.

I totally accept that I should've talked to the manager right away. I feel a little crummy that I didn't, but part of me is cynical enough to wonder how much good it would do. (I do have restaurants that I think it WOULD do good to contact the manager.) Normally, I would have, but like I said, we needed to just get out of there by this point. We talked about contacting RFC retroactively. I would let my friend's make that decision because if they did try to send us some coupons to return or something, they'd be more likely to use them than I would.

As long as I'm complaining ;) For all the times I have complimented staff members to managers, on comment cards, and to websites, I have never been offered any discounts or comp'd items. It annoys me that I would have to complain to get something "extra." Now, I do not give compliments fishing for free stuff, but it would be nice to "reward" positive interactions, wouldn't it?

Adrienne K

baileykat
09-16-2002, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by kranders
... Once I told him that he didn't need to comp my meal, that I just wanted to let him and the kitchen know so they could correct the problem, he seemed to not care about our concern.

I'll never be back!

See..it's managers like that who give the industry a bad name! Word of mouth in the food biz is your biggest advertisement! I'm the hardest tipper ever! I'll tip you well, if the service was good! If the service sucked, you'll not only hear about it from hubby, but you won't get the tip you want! It's a "service" industry! So all you waiters and waitresses, bartenders, etc...take note! The way you act and handle you customers does reflect in your tip...even if you think your covered by the "auto" tip!!!

WickedQueen
09-16-2002, 09:07 AM
My 5 year old's favorite restaurant is Rainforest Cafe, and we have been to several of them. I have only been to the one in DTD 2 or 3 times, but the last time I was there (May, 2002) the service was truly awful.

I was with a large group of out of town friends. True, we showed for breakfast shortly before 11, and found that they were closing the dining room at 11! We placed our orders, and they got my son's order completely wrong. And didn't return with his correct food until after the rest of us were done eating. Luckily he ate off of the others kids plates in the meantime. Service was incredilbly slow, and they all seemed rather annoyed with us being there at all.

I really don't know if I will be back.

DLdad
09-16-2002, 09:10 AM
We have tried RFC twice. Once as a family, and once when my wife went with a family friend and our daughters. Both times, the service was slow, prices high, food mediocre. We don't go anymore. There is a RFC at Ontario Mills mall that we stop by while shopping because the kids like the animatronic animals and the big aquariums, but we eat elsewhere.

You are not legally required to pay a "mandatory gratuity" if you state that you refuse to pay it. Also, I would say that you are not required to pay for the deserts you did not order. All you did was mention three birthdays. If you did not specifically order the desert, and were not informaed of the desert's cost, you are under no obligation to pay for the desert. Heck, restaurant could just bring you a order of rolls when your seated, then charge you for them on the bill if that were the case. Or Mexican restauarant could start billing for chips and salsa that they automatically bring to the table.

I would right a letter to the RFC manager, RFC corporation CEO and to Disney outlining your complaints.

Too bad... My daughter really likes the thunder effect in RFC while eating...

DLdad
09-16-2002, 09:17 AM
Another note on restaurants in general (sorry if off-topic, but its peripherally related since it involves kids:) )

When my wife and I go out together or with friends, we tend to get fair to good service. However, if the kids are with us, even at the same restaurant with the same server, we get less service. I don't know if people with kids tend to tip less in general, or the server just thinks that's true. It may be a self-fulfilling prophecy.... We get poor service, we tip less. Therefore, we do tend to tip less when we go out with the kids.

innerSpaceman
09-16-2002, 09:44 AM
As usual, I am going to post a fly-in-the-ointment opinion:

I like the RainForest Cafe at DTD.

There, I've said it. Maybe it's cause I go there during off hours when the service is quicker (it IS notoriously slow during the main meal times). In fact, if I do go there during standard eats hours, I sit in the bar. There's no wait for a table, everything on the menu is completely available, and the service is noticeably quicker.

And while I may have had slow service in the main restaurant from time to time, I have never had poor service. Granted, I don't go with kids in tow, but the wait staff has always been attentive during my visits. Yes, the food is a bit overpriced for what you're getting, but you are paying for the atmosphere, and -duh- you are paying inflated Disney Resort prices. As for the food being mediocre, it depends on what you order. I have settled down to a few fave dishes that I find quite yummy. Maybe I've just had good luck; maybe a little trial and error is required (but I bet that's true of a lot of restaurants).

When all is said and done, I think the RFC is a good mid-priced restaurant at the resort. Sure you can do better with the far pricier Catal or Napa Rose, but it sure beats the food to be found at similar prices in the theme parks themselves (for the most part), and frankly, I have found it to be one of the only decent restaurants in DTD where I don't have to pay an arm+leg, or otherwise have some really terrible meal experience (and I have had some doosies in DTD, believe me).

mad4mky
09-16-2002, 10:13 AM
So far, every RFC I have been to has been wayyyy overrated. Terrible service, overpriced, mediocre food...and long waits.

The first time was at Animal Kingdom at WDW. My first time ever at one of their restaraunts. I swore I wouldn't go back...and did, because the next year we took our children, and that is where they wanted to go. Again, so-so food, over priced...we didn't have to wait as we got there when it opened.

San Francisco's is the same thing...different location. Same complaints as the other place I had been to.

The 4th time was this past spring while at Disneyland Paris. Loooonnng wait in line...so-so food and overpriced. The BEST thing I can say about this place is that they actually had a non-smoking section!!! woo-hoo!! I think it was the only one in France in existance!! That is the ONLY thing that made the meal tolerable.

Because of these experiences...I have not ventured into the RFC at DLR's DTD...I have avoided it every time we have gone down.
And after reading your review of the place Adrienne...I am glad I have save my money from not eating there. To me...all the interiors are about the same...so I doubt if I will see anything different in this one. The outside is the best I have seen for a RFC...but I am sure to get the same mediocre fair and service inside.
:rolleyes:

Thanks for the "headsup"

RStar
09-16-2002, 11:18 AM
My wife and I celebrated our 22nd anniversary two weeks ago and had dinner there. We had a great time, and good service. I feel the food is ok, not fantastic. We like the atmosphere (although we were going to go to Black Angus, but it was closed). The price is moderate, but cheeper than the other resturants in DTD. I think it depends on who serves you and weather you are with a large group or not.

And if you pay with a credit card, you can call the credit company to dispute the charge. They can stop payment or reqire the resturant to reverse the charges until the dispute is settled.

Lani
09-16-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by DLdad
I would right a letter to the RFC manager, RFC corporation CEO and to Disney outlining your complaints.I've done this at other establishments, mostly because the company needs to be made aware of things.

I've only eaten at the RFC once, and that was enough. The food was mediocre and the service slow... but what did it for me was the circus-like noise. Gads. When I eat in a sit-down restaurant, I like to be able to hold a conversation. Those animals get really noisy. It's the same reason I don't like Planet Hollywood and all those chain restaurants that thing they need to make it noisy for a fun environment. Ugh.

I'm surprised they considered a party of six to be enough for the "automatic" gratuity. I thought that was usually for parties eight or more.

cstephens
09-16-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
As usual, I am going to post a fly-in-the-ointment opinion:

I like the RainForest Cafe at DTD.

There, I've said it.

I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Everyone has a different experience, and just because someone had a bad experience, that doesn't invalidate your good experience or vice versa.

I like Rainforest, but it's not my favorite restaurant. The food is a bit expensive (though I don't think unreasonably so, given the portions of the entrees and location and decor of the restaurant), and the theming isn't for everyone. I have a particular section of the restaurant/gift shop that I have a hard time getting through. (Yes, it's the same slithering discussion as on another thread.)

That being said, I've been to the DTD Anaheim Rainforest once for breakfast and multiple times for dinner, and I've never had a bad experience, either with the food or the service. But then, that seems to happen for some reason, as there are a number of other restaurants where other people have reported problems and I've had nothing but stellar experiences at those restaurants.

I don't know that I specifically pick having dinner at Rainforest (though I am definitely wanting to go back for breakfast), but I don't have any arguments with going there. As I said, I've always had a good time.

DZNEENUT
09-16-2002, 02:06 PM
Order a chicken brest sandwich and it comes with two breasts. I never leave hungry. If you really want a bad meal, try Arriba! Arria! So expensive, poor service, poor food. I wiish more people would stay away from RC. I love it.

RStar
09-16-2002, 02:32 PM
I too, found it to be a bit noisy. But I think the corner we were in and the fact that it was just the two of us, we could converse just fine.

I think it all comes down to expectations. If you go in expecting it to be fantastic and it's not, you'll be dissapointed. If you go in expecting it to be bad, it will be. But if you expect it to be just ok, you're less likely to be dissapointed. Unless it is a real bad experience. So I go in with an open mind. And if I have poor service, perhaps it was just that server. And if I have never been there before, I don't judge it on just that one try. But if I have a problem, and the manager treats me bad, then I won't be back. Because if the manager treats the customers bad, chances are the rest of the crew hasn't been trained any better.

oohykitten
09-16-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by adriennek
I

Re: Talking Gorillas-- I forgot this part. My son actually is terrified of the gorillas and the thunder storm. When we checked in, we told this to the girl at the check-in counter. So when she sent us in and upstairs, we got there and they told us, "We're putting you next to a gorilla is that ok?" HELLO. Do you think I just mentioned it to make idle chit-chat? Matthew did one of those preschool fear-filled tantrum things where he was screaming "No!" and tried to escape to get as far away from the gorillas as possible. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, we let him choose his seat at the table so he could pick what he thought was the furthest seat from the gorilla. He was a very brave kid, considering.

OKay I feel bad for not sharing this sooner. For my sons 2nd birthday we went there, my relatives thought he would love it. WRONG! It was my first time there, and they put him behind the gorilla. Too bad I had no idea untill the thing started touching him. Poor little guy freaked. ANd the worst part was is that they made it out to be my fault, like I should have known. On top pf bad food, snail like serivice, I paid the bill in cash. No more than 10mintes later my server tells me that I stiffed her on the bill by 20 bucks. Okay so we all make errors, but I counted the money in front of her when I got the bill. (since my son was scared I wanted out of there FAST) Asked the manager, if at the end of the day if he could a) count the till see if it was over or under, or in some other way make this one right since EVERYONE at my table and the one next to us saw what happened with the majority of the trip. He said he couldn't, but I was free to fill out the comment card, which I did. Never heard back, wrote a letter to the store afterwards... funny a year and a half later still nothing. If my son ever wants to go there once he gets older, it's sit have drinks then leave....

MammaSilva
09-16-2002, 04:37 PM
ok I've heard enough horror stories to make me NOT want to go to any RFC but this one tops it.. and exactly WHY couldn't he make sure the till was right..... I mean even if she screwed you and it sounds like she did, it would have came out of her tip so the til was going to be ON the money regardless, the rest went into her pocket at the end of her shift....but at least he could have said so and not just blown you off....that is such bad Guest Services... they'll never see my money!