PDA

View Full Version : New Daytime Parade At DCA...

GoldenEars
09-15-2002, 07:28 PM
I keep hearing that the Eureka Parade at DCA saw it's final performance right before Labor Day and that the parade will not be coming back next year...can anyone verify that?

I have a feeling Disney will be putting together a new type of California Parade that will feature Disney characters this time! I know that guests love and expect to see Disney characters in any parade that Disney puts together, so why should DCA be any different right now?

I know in the beginning that DCA was supposed to be free of all Disney characters in the Park and in any shows they did. Well, as you all know, that quickly changed and now they're everywhere, and rightfully so! And since it would be rather difficult to add Disney characters in the Eureka Parade (it wouldn't make any sence if they did), I'm sure they decided to ban that parade and will dream up a new one!

I'm excited about that idea, cuz I think if Disney thought it out well, it could be a really fun parade, with good/upbeat music, high energy dancing, with a California theme to it all....and of course, adding Disney characters would add the finishing touches!

If anyone else has information on this subject matter, please let me know. Thanks, and have fun in the Parks!

Patrick:D

teri
09-15-2002, 08:19 PM
Eureka! left me cold. I liked the color, the dancing, the energy -- but it left me cold. I guess what I missed was the interaction between the parade characters and the guests like we had at Tapestry of Nations at EPCOT. Every CM in that parade was interacting, making eye contact, often touching and brushing people, reaching out. That interaction was missing from the Eureka! parade. We were there on a low crowd day, and here came this big, brassy show full of people dancing like crazy and doing their stunts... and maybe 5 performers total made eye contact.

My autistic son LOVES parades, all parades. He has been pulled into several interactive parades at Disneyland and WDW, loves to wave at the characters and have them wave back, wants to see it again. After the first time he saw Tapestry of Nations, he wanted to get up on my husband's shoulders and pretend that they were one of the puppets - we danced all the way back to the Boardwalk. No such reaction to Eureka! though. He didn't want to see Eureka! again when I gave him the choice - he wanted to see the parade at Disneyland that we had already seen a dozen times.

They need to do something to warm it up. I'm not sure if characters are totally necessary, though.

wdtv
09-15-2002, 09:32 PM
<<there on a low crowd day>>

DCA has high crowd days? ;) Well, I guess all the media on the yearly ABC Fall Previews day can make it crowded! I was at DCA on a Fall preview day and, I swear, half the people there looked like TV folk...

teri
09-15-2002, 09:40 PM
LOL! wdtv... the first time we went to DCA, there were maybe 100 guests. A high crowd day at DCA for me is when you have to wait more than 20 minutes for California Screamin'. ;)

DisneyFreak2000
09-21-2002, 09:25 PM
I liked the creative concept and music for Eureka! I'll miss those if it leaves (especially the great music). I'd like to see a modern /hip parade like Eureka beocome like a character parade. It can be done easily, sort of. I mean, in Eureka they have the under the water scene, so they throw in some Little Mermaid charactesr and make it the mermaid section. They have the oriental section, which could become the Mulan section. Basically, what I'm hinting at is they could make a good and interesting concept (like Eureka has) and make it a character parade.

Laffite
09-21-2002, 11:20 PM
How long are you guys usually in DCA? That place is like another land that's really far away from DL. I'd spend a day at DL, visit all the lands, go to DCA for 2 hours, then go back to DL. Visiting DCA is like visiting another land in DL. That place is just too hot (no shades) to spend a whole day there.

(yea, sure, I whine a lot, lol :D )

Techie7
09-23-2002, 11:55 AM
I must say that I really enjoy Eureka and think that it really is one of the items created for DCA that hit a large portion of the target audience. I don't think that every parade must have Disney Characters. Epcot is a prime example of this. With Illuminations and Tapestry of Nations no "Classic Disney" characters or music is used and I think they both are amazing examples of "Disney". Each time that I have seen Eureka I have had great interactivity and the cast is always happy to have a crowd. There are so many talented performers at both parks and it is nice to see a show that allows them to actually dance and perform. On top of this the show maintains the California theme. If they are going to get rid of the theme (As they appear to be doing) then get rid of the theme. If they are going to keep it I think Eureka is a great parade for the park. With the current budget constraints I don't know if they can afford to throw out the entire parade and start over. It was originally planned to last around 3 years before it faded away.