PDA

View Full Version : DL water park mentioned in book

Pages : [1] 2

malin
09-15-2002, 12:50 PM
I was just checking out amazon.co.uk for books on the DLR for my trip in November.The link is below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0786853735/qid=1032122762/sr=1-7/ref=sr_1_3_7/026-2163886-9760401

I thought this qoute from the Synopsis was very interesting.And an exclusive preview of the Disneyland Water Park.

Thats news to me since when has Disney confirmed the water park?

BJW
09-15-2002, 01:38 PM
Now we know what's going in the Strawberry field. This must be true because Birnbaum is usually given the most accurate information and all access to archives and files. Anyone know what type of attractions will be in the water park.

malin
09-15-2002, 03:34 PM
Well acording to screamscape.com the theme will be based on the six main continents of the world. The South American area may feature a Mayan temple adorned with six waterslides, two of which will be the near vertical dive type down the side of the temple. In Europe you’ll have slides built into a Swiss Castle, and Asia will feature the Great Wall of China that will somehow house the lazy river.Sounds interesting but the question is do we need another water park?

Bill Catherall
09-15-2002, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by malin
The South American area may feature a Mayan temple adorned with six waterslides, two of which will be the near vertical dive type down the side of the temple.
Kuzkotopia! :D

Ace
09-15-2002, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Bill Catherall
Kuzkotopia! :D

A ride based on TENG would justify my existence and give meaning to my life! Please, Disney! Please!

justagrrl
09-16-2002, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by malin
Sounds interesting but the question is do we need another water park?

Because 2 within a short drive (short being 10 to 30 minutes) just isn't enough.

I'm not a big water park fan myself. I always feel like I'm on the verge of drowning or falling out/off.

Kevin Yee
09-16-2002, 06:39 AM
Depends on how they do it.

A bare bones effort will fail to steal (or even compete with) the existing parks at Knott's, Irvine, and Waterloo (er, Raging Waters).

But Disney has such a rich tapestry if they choose to use it. Sure, Emporer's New Groove (hated the movie, but why not use it for the rides). But also Mulan for the Great Wall lazy creek. Think Genghis AA's, snowy mountain region complete with avalanche.

Australia? Check - Rescuers Down Under.

Africa? Check - Lion King. Or Tarzan.

North America: Check - Pocahontas.

Europe: Check - Beauty and the Beast, or better still Little Mermaid (European and water-based).

Uhhh what continent am I forgetting?

Middle East: Check - Aladdin.

There's *so much* Disney could do with its own materials. Everything I've mentioned lacks a permanent presence at Disneyland or DCA. I wish sincerely that they use all of it. Such an effort would decimate the local competition, which is what Disney wants.

Theme, not thrill, will be the only way to compete.

And yet... why oh why do I fear and expect a DCA-sized effort instead? (sigh)

SzczerbiakManiac
09-16-2002, 09:44 AM
Kevin Yee wrote:
Uhhh what continent am I forgetting?South America and Antarctica. (you asked ;) )

Kevin Yee
09-16-2002, 09:51 AM
Antarctica.

South America and Asia are in my first paragraph (Emporer's Groove and Mulan, respectively).

Gosh... Antarctica... how about the penguin story from the Three Cabelleros (I think it was that movie)? So obscure, though.

Ace
09-16-2002, 10:55 AM
mmmmmm, penguins.

HBDisneyPrincess
09-17-2002, 07:57 PM
Please please please please please tell me that they are going to build this behind paradise pier hotel and not waste that expansive 80 something acres on anything but a Disney Sea caliber park!!!

:crying:

BJW
09-17-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by HBDisneyPrincess
Please please please please please tell me that they are going to build this behind paradise pier hotel and not waste that expansive 80 something acres on anything but a Disney Sea caliber park!!!

:crying:

Good point, I can't imagine 80 whole acres being wasted on a waterpark that will probably be empty half of the time anyway! :)
Does anyone know if room will be left for another park or if they will leave the strawberry field empty and use the land behind Paradise Pier?

wdtv
09-18-2002, 12:00 AM
If you go on www.thirdthemepark.com, it says STAY TUNED FOR SOME EXCITING NEWS! Since when did Disney decide to go ahead with this? I thought it was canceled.

And I doubt a fourth park will ever be built. DCA is still a major problem. Not to mention the fact that it's very cramped ... And, With Downtown Disney, two more parks would just not make sense.

One giant park and nothing else.

Daniel

Baloo
09-18-2002, 07:15 PM
Didn't they remove the site for the third park? This brought up a good question. Why didn't Disney negotaite with the land owners for the new naheim garden place and make some kind of equal swap of lands. Disney could have given the land owners the same amount of land they own and exachange it for part of the strawberry field. Then Disney could have built a third park with the gate real close to the other two. then little by little bought off the ugly motels and some of the restuarants that line Harbor blvd. whatever land they had left over by the strawberry field could have been converted into some nice budget hotels which would help the anaheim gardens new mall.

Kevin Yee
09-19-2002, 06:36 AM
You make it sound like it hasn't occurred to Disney.

They've tried. They've been trying for over a decade. Some of the businesses along Harbor I think are now owned by Disney, but still operate. Others won't sell out.

They don't make public which are which.

Anaheim Garden Walk definitely wouldn't go along with the plan you envision. They stand to make much more money if they are in the thick of Disney's parks. I don't blame them - the logic is sound.

Lani
09-19-2002, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Baloo
Didn't they remove the site for the third park?Yes, I believe they did. Clicking on the link takes you to a "The page cannot be displayed" page.

HBDisneyPrincess
09-22-2002, 10:24 AM
There had been talk about using that 80 acre field for two parks, a water park and a theme park. But in my humble opinion, they really should use the whole 80 acres to build one fabulous theme park. I think that once they built it, DCA would fill by default, because with two excellent parks, Disney would become the multi-day resort they desire to be.

Of course, I don't believe any of this should occur until Disney management has gotten back their senses and are ready to create a really innovative experience. COnsidering their financial situation and the recent imagineering lay offs, I don't think this will be happening any time soon.

It's so hard to be an optimist sometimes.

I really wouldn't mind a water park, but I don't think that should be Disney's priority. (How about a themed pool over at the Paradise Pier Hotel?) Again, if they do build a water park, I really think a small one behind Paradise Pier would suffice.

I hope they put their energies into more ambitious plans that could be utilized all year, and could entertain and thrill all of us over and over again. But I truly hope they don't even touch the land until management is willing to do the job right - full creative force, etc.

MonorailMan
09-22-2002, 02:36 PM
BTW, it seems that:

www.thirdthemepark.com was sold by Disney, and hijacked by someone else. :)

Ace
09-22-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
BTW, it seems that:

www.thirdthemepark.com was sold by Disney, and hijacked by someone else. :)

Nooo.......... that's not a Disney website? ;)

BJW
09-22-2002, 10:35 PM
How do you know it is not a Disney website? Couldn't it be legitimate?

Techie7
09-23-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by BJW
How do you know it is not a Disney website? Couldn't it be legitimate?

The site is registered to a person in Colorado (I will not post his name but you can look it up from whois.namesdirect.com) and was purchased on August 22nd of this year.

wdtv
09-23-2002, 12:13 PM
So, the announcement on www.thirdthemepark.com is not by WDI, but rather a hijacker?

Daniel

Techie7
09-23-2002, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by wdtv
So, the announcement on www.thirdthemepark.com is not by WDI, but rather a hijacker?

Daniel

Yes this would be my guess. There is nothing on the site linking it to Disney or any Disney Affiliate. Along with that the design choices and the quality of the picture do not make me think that this would be a mainstream site for the company. (Plus as I posted before the person that owns it is not Disney and it changed hands recently).

stinkyface
09-26-2002, 05:54 AM
just curious, has anyone seen the book yet? i leafed thru it at the book store and saw no mention of the water park.

BJW
09-26-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Techie7
The site is registered to a person in Colorado (I will not post his name but you can look it up from whois.namesdirect.com) and was purchased on August 22nd of this year.

Thank you for the information. I'll watch for junk like this from now on.