PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had a funny tram driver?

Cineburk
06-22-2001, 08:39 PM
About three years ago, my wife and I were on a tram heading back to the Pinnochio lot. We had the funniest host. He really cracked us up, and he had a huge long speil about "why the trams are red". It strung together about 20 puns, and the last line was"...and books are read, so trams are red." You get the idea. He also had a bunch of technical info about the tram.

Honestly, the tram is our favorite ride at Disneyland. We always make sure to go on it twice. (I use that one every time we go. It got old for my wife about the second time.)

Napsto
06-22-2001, 09:04 PM
thts cool!

Morrigoon
06-22-2001, 09:05 PM
I love it when creative CM's go off-spiel.

Can't say that I've had a TRAM driver be funny, but I recall one very amusing monorail ride...

This driver was so familiar with the recorded spiel, that he'd come up with catchy remarks to interact with it. For example, he'd say "What's that up ahead and to the right?" and the recording would spiel "Up ahead and to the right, are the towering spires of It's A Small World!" (...I know, I didn't get that segment quite right... so sue me), or "Gee, I wonder what those shimmering waters below us are"... and, well you get the idea.

I've often wondered what a tram ride would be like with Maynard at the mic.... ;)

Napsto
06-22-2001, 09:06 PM
probably different.

ODV CM
06-23-2001, 12:34 PM
No, I've never had a tram driver that was funny. I've had plenty that try...

Although they do use lines from the Jungle Cruise once in a while, like "Lower your head and watch your step. If you miss your step and hit your head, watch your language, there are children present." and stuff like that.

JeffG
06-23-2001, 12:45 PM
I've never been thrilled with the tram announcers that seem to think they really should be on the Jungle Cruise. Usually, the only one that they really are amusing are themselves. Meanwhile, they would fail to successfully convey any of the information that the guests really need to hear.

Fortunately, Disneyland recently has gone to pre-recorded spiels on the trams. The result is that the necessary information is being conveyed in a clear and understandable manner and with a much more professional sounding approach. The spiels remind me very much of the monorail spiels used at Walt Disney World. In fact, I think they may be using the same announcer.

-Jeff

TecTalker2K
06-23-2001, 12:48 PM
Morrigoon... you just brought back a memory of that Monorail. I remember that routine he did with the recorded guide. I remember laughing so hard I was crying.

lillas
06-23-2001, 07:39 PM
I've had tram drivers that attempted to be funny, but never one that could pull it off. Personally, I dislike the increasing trend of many CMs thinking they can do the Jungle Cruise thing (see thread re: skippers). Lets face it, the only reason JC has every been funny was that it's satire was in stark contrast to the sachrine of the rest of the park. Sure once in a blue moon you get a skipper with real talent, but rarely. With everyone thinking they can be Jan Murrey it spoils the whole reason we go there...escapism! Escape from a world that among it's many problems is overly sarcastic and lack innocence. For the record, I'm not against it on the outside, just at DL except of course when a male JC skipper is staying pretty faithfull to the spiel.

Gregmh48
06-23-2001, 10:13 PM
I've had the Monorail CM too. If I remember correctly, his name was Gestavo.

Uncle Dick
03-06-2002, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by ODV CM
No, I've never had a tram driver that was funny. I've had plenty that try...

Although they do use lines from the Jungle Cruise once in a while, like "Lower your head and watch your step. If you miss your step and hit your head, watch your language, there are children present." and stuff like that.
I recall hearing the famous "we take it for granite" joke being used on one particular late night tram ride. Personally, I appreciate anything that spices up the normal (boring) tram ride even if it fails somewhat miserably.