PDA

View Full Version : Fishing at TOM SAWYER island

Pony Sugrue
09-14-2002, 03:18 PM
I was watching an old DISNEYLAND documentary that showed how they used to let you fish at TOM SAWYER ISLAND (certainly nothing possible for today's litigious guests). they had stocked the Rivers of America and they handed out baited poles to the kids.

Did any of you guys ever do this?

What did you do with the fish once you caught one?

Did you throw it back?

Did you tote the thing around the park all day?

Did they send it up front so you can pick it up on your way out like merchandise?

Just curious.

MammaSilva
09-14-2002, 03:45 PM
My folks have a picture of me with my aunt and we are on TSI with fishing poles with fish on them.... I asked my mom what they did with the fish and she said that she seems to remember they did 'catch and release' but couldn't 'swear' to it....

pinkpail
09-14-2002, 06:27 PM
I heard or read that people used to put the fish that they caught in the lockers and forget to take them home so the lockers got nasty and stinky from the dead fish so they stopped letting people fish.

Pixie Glitter
09-14-2002, 06:41 PM
I'm just sitting here shaking my head at the thought of fishing and the mule rides at DL. Can't you just see the headlines if they still had those attractions today?. . . . "Guest Wins 8 Gazillion Dollars in Disney Lawsuit after Falling Off Mule because she Caught a Fishhook in the Eye"

Sailor Butterfly
09-14-2002, 07:46 PM
"Another guest wins 12 gazillion dollars after hooking a mule in the leg, causing the mule to bolt and dragging the guest behind."

Cadaverous Pallor
09-15-2002, 11:31 AM
Wow, I am definitely a child of a later generation.

I love animals, but the idea of sitting on a smelly mule that might drop me at any time or touching a slimy fish that I just seriously wounded or killed is not my idea of "a day at Disneyland". Hell, I'm never paddling around the rivers again - smacks too much of work, and no one else in the boat pulls their weight. The whole wild west universe doesn't really do it for me. I never wanted to be a cowboy or an Indian. Neither sounds very fun. But I realized that's because we no longer look at the wild west as a fun, exciting place.

Don't get me wrong - I love nature, love camping, love getting dirty. :) Wouldn't it be great if TSI was full of real trees to climb? It would never happen in this day and age, but I'd love it.

ice_queen
09-16-2002, 11:21 AM
too funny... sorry, I can't imagine standing in line for a Fast Pass to ride a mule. Yikes - I hope DL doesn't get nostalgic! :eek: