PDA

View Full Version : Swing dancing on weekends?

Pixie Glitter
09-13-2002, 06:33 PM
Hi all,

Does anyone know if they are still having the big bands/swing dancing in that outdoor pavilion (forgot the name--sorry!) at DL on weekend nights? I watched a set on Saturday night in June, and it was one of the most memorable parts of the entire trip. And (here's a real long shot) does anyone know who the really spectacular age 20 or so male dancer is who looks quite a bit like a young Yul Brenner--handsome, slim, shaved head, etc.?? I was wondering if he's a guest or CM.

TIA,
Pixie Glitter

Morrigoon
09-13-2002, 06:41 PM
Pixie: they used to do it Friday and Saturday nights in the summer, and the Friday dancing would be preceeded by a lesson. To the best of my knowledge, it's now only Saturdays, just like in the winter (I could be wrong though).

If the people dancing were CMs, then they were CMs dancing on their time off. SoCal has a very strong swing scene, and DL doesn't actually have to hire any dancers to keep that floor alive. You'll see a lot of those people other nights at Memories or Pasadena Ballroom Assn. (which I think is only on Saturdays, so it kinda conflicts).

Memories used to be right nearby in Anaheim Hills, but they had to move over a year ago. I can't remember the name of the city, but you can find it at memories.org (being too lazy to actually check the address, I'll just say that I believe that's their web address.

Which band was playing that night? DL has a few regular bands, and everyone has their favorites. Some like Red and the Red Hots, there's another band called Swingtime, and then my favorite (usually the first weekend of the month) called Wartime Radio Review. They're less polished than some other bands, but they play the best songs, and keep their theming wonderfully.

Pixie Glitter
09-13-2002, 06:50 PM
It was Pete Jacobs and his Wartime Radio Review--thank goodness I saved my park map, or I never would have known that! :) The band was terrific, but they had a guest appearance by a truly awful female vocalist; I wanted to cry when they did "A Whole New World," which has always been one of my favorite Disney tunes.

(Gosh, I hope the female vocalist isn't your wife or sister or anything!) :-p

Alex S.
09-13-2002, 06:57 PM
We saw it last Saturday night, so they are still doing it on that day at least.

Morrigoon
09-13-2002, 07:04 PM
Pixie: I'm usually so worn out from dancing, that when the vocalist comes out I take a potty break. I haven't noticed any that were particularly bad, but I'd also say that as a dancer, the ballads get a little annoying (I don't slow dance, not my thing)

I can't wait until I live in socal again, I miss being able to go there Saturday nights.

Pixie Glitter
09-13-2002, 07:08 PM
So, I'm still waiting. Does anyone know if the cute Yul Brenner-type guy is a guest or an off-duty CM? Anyone? Anyone?

Ferris?

Hojoanaheim
09-13-2002, 10:20 PM
Don't miss Rose and Dubby on the dance floor. They've been regulars at the Carnation Plaza swing dancing since Disneyland opened! They even have stories about Walt Disney himself. You can't miss them; they usually have matching outfits and dance a little "wild" for the crowd. Disneyland's Carnation Plaza was the birthplace of the swing revival during the late 90's and still enjoys a loyal following and a wonderful character.

Not Afraid
09-13-2002, 11:24 PM
The Saturday Swing Party is still on the schedule with a different band each week. Sadly, the Friday Night Micky's Mambo Club is gone for now:crying:. I'll keep my eye out for Mini Yul.

Morrigoon
09-14-2002, 01:48 AM
Rose and Dubby eh? So that's their names. We always think of them as the "dirty duo" ;) They're fun.

LibraryGirl
09-14-2002, 09:40 AM
If they're still doing it in November, will anyone give me some generic lessons? Hubby is not a dancer and is only a watcher... I wanna get out there and go for it!!

DLfreak
09-14-2002, 10:54 AM
I've seen that guy that you're talking about...but I don't know who he is. He is VERY good though. :)
I LOVE the Wartime Radio Review band. I think they play the best sets. I don't think their singers are that bad, though.

Pixie Glitter
09-14-2002, 04:17 PM
DLfreak,

From the way they introduced her, it was evident that this lady wasn't one of the band; she was some kind of guest singer. Their male vocalists sounded good, and the music was terrific--I thoroughly enjoyed both the band and the dancers. Made me wish I hadn't forgotten what little I did learn in the one swing dancing class I took years ago!

Dlandmom
09-14-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by LibraryGirl
If they're still doing it in November, will anyone give me some generic lessons? Hubby is not a dancer and is only a watcher... I wanna get out there and go for it!!

You and me both! My hubby's no dancer either!

I'd love to learn. I used to be a dancer in my earlier years (those of you who've seen me recently would never believe there's a dancer's body in me...it was just swallowed up in the last 5 years!). I really miss dancing period...swing's something I've always wanted to do but never learned!

tinkfreak
09-14-2002, 05:28 PM
I agree that Wartime is the best featured band. Does anyone else think the Erik Eckstrand Ensemble kinda stinks? I can't get into them.

PS Mini Yul is hot.

Pixie Glitter
09-14-2002, 05:40 PM
Yep, even this old (very happily) married lady was quite taken with Mini Yul (LOL, I hope the poor guy doesn't get stuck with that handle forever!). He was quite in demand with the unattached girl dancers, and I can certainly see why. There's just something very mesmerizing about his looks, and he's one of the best dancers I have EVER seen. Anyhoo, I hope someone can solve this little mystery for me--I'd love to know if he's a guest or a CM.

tinkfreak
09-14-2002, 05:43 PM
I'm pretty sure he's not a CM. The only place I've ever seen him is Plaza Gardens on Sat.

DLfreak
09-15-2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Pixie Glitter
DLfreak,

From the way they introduced her, it was evident that this lady wasn't one of the band; she was some kind of guest singer. Their male vocalists sounded good, and the music was terrific--I thoroughly enjoyed both the band and the dancers. Made me wish I hadn't forgotten what little I did learn in the one swing dancing class I took years ago!

Oh...well I haven't been there when they've done that. I have only seen the three woman that come out and sing.

Sophie832
09-15-2002, 08:29 PM
I spend most of my time at Rod's piano, but I love swing music, and a couple of the swing dancers show up at the piano, so I decided to go over there a couple of weeks ago. The Wartime band was performing and they were great! Then I went last night, and it was Swingtown, who were also good. Last night a female singer performed a couple of ballads, and it was ok, but I prefer the other stuff.

I saw the guy you're all talking about, and he is amazing! He danced with two women at the same time! A girl sitting next to me told me she saw him dance at a swing club and that he does incredible tricks.

I used to think the swing dancers were CMs, but then I found out none of them are! Not even the ones who dress up. They all do it for fun, although I think Disney definitely benefits from them.

Pixie Glitter
09-16-2002, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the info, everyone! Now I can sleep at night :D

LibraryGirl
09-16-2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Dlandmom
You and me both! My hubby's no dancer either!
I'd love to learn. I really miss dancing period...swing's something I've always wanted to do but never learned!

The closest place I can take a swing dance class is about an hour north of my town or an hour and a half west.

There is nothing locally. My guy friend (who lives in the north) has offered to take the class with me, but the class is always on a weird day that I can't attend (like a Wednesday at 7PM).

If I get the time... and the babysitting, I think I might take him up on the offer.

lindyhop
09-17-2002, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by tinkfreak
I agree that Wartime is the best featured band. Does anyone else think the Erik Eckstrand Ensemble kinda stinks? I can't get into them.

The Erik Eckstrand Ensemble played at the Pasadena Ballroom Dance Association weekly dance this past Saturday and they were great. They play a great variety of "dance-able" music. I've never seen them when they've played DL though.

Pete Jacobs (of Wartime etc.) also has a smaller group, the Pete Jacobs Quintet. They're playing this upcoming Saturday night at PBDA and they're always a lot of fun. Pete usually dances when the band takes a break.

Someday when I have a regular partner I'll dance at DL on Saturday nights. Until then I'll be having a blast in Pasadena.

(As you can see by my screen name, dancing is my favorite topic!)

Ace
09-17-2002, 08:30 PM
They still do Swing Dancing? Oh man.... one of my goals in life is to learn that... and if they have it at Disneyland.... it's a no brainer.