PDA

View Full Version : FastPass modification suggestion

dutchess13
03-31-2008, 07:48 PM
We love the FastPass system!

However, after spending a few days at Disneyland, DH had a thought about a change to the FastPass system. He spent so much time running all over the park gathering FastPasses that we thought it would be convenient if they altered the FastPass terminals to give out FastPasses for any FastPass eligible ride in the park. They could even use the seasonal terminals like Haunted Mansion or terminals for "down" rides and just not include them in the menu for that day.

They would have to include a screen displaying the available times and wait times of the attractions at each FastPass station so people would know what they were getting. Similar to the screens displaying arrival and departure times in airports. The terminals would need to be modified to allow guests to select a particular ride.

This would eliminate a lot of unnecessary cross-park traffic. The systems are already linked (with a few exceptions). Imagine the convenience of picking up a Space Mountain FastPass while over in Critter Country.

One step further would be to include California Adventure with Disneyland for folks with park-hoppers. For example you would be able to get a Grizzly River Run FastPass while over in Adventure Land.

I think this would allow people to enjoy sections of the park more thoroughly without having to run all over the park to get their next FastPass. This would also leave more time for shopping, shows, and food.

What do you think?

Malcon10t
03-31-2008, 08:21 PM
Nope, disagree. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they got rid of it completely. At least make people use the fastpass during the timespan.

kimmybear
03-31-2008, 10:07 PM
i actually think the fast pass system does a good job of cycling people thru the parks, making them travel from the major rides to get a fast pass. plus it sends guests along paths they might not have otherwise traveled. :)

ShirleyFilms
04-01-2008, 07:38 AM
We love the FastPass system!

However, after spending a few days at Disneyland, DH had a thought about a change to the FastPass system. He spent so much time running all over the park gathering FastPasses that we thought it would be convenient if they altered the FastPass terminals to give out FastPasses for any FastPass eligible ride in the park. They could even use the seasonal terminals like Haunted Mansion or terminals for "down" rides and just not include them in the menu for that day.

They would have to include a screen displaying the available times and wait times of the attractions at each FastPass station so people would know what they were getting. Similar to the screens displaying arrival and departure times in airports. The terminals would need to be modified to allow guests to select a particular ride.

This would eliminate a lot of unnecessary cross-park traffic. The systems are already linked (with a few exceptions). Imagine the convenience of picking up a Space Mountain FastPass while over in Critter Country.

One step further would be to include California Adventure with Disneyland for folks with park-hoppers. For example you would be able to get a Grizzly River Run FastPass while over in Adventure Land.

I think this would allow people to enjoy sections of the park more thoroughly without having to run all over the park to get their next FastPass. This would also leave more time for shopping, shows, and food.

What do you think?

I totally agree with you. It would make it much easier and nicer. However... I have a feeling that all that "cross park walking" is probably one of the factors that helps make the Fastpass system work. Then again, I don't claim to know all the logistics of the system. :)

Bytebear
04-01-2008, 08:10 AM
They have thought of this idea, but what would happen is certain kiosks would be jam packed with people and others would be completely ignored. The idea of the system is that you are "waiting in line" during that time, so you have to at least get to the line.

I also think that they want you to travel a bit to get the pass. They did move the kiosk for Splash Mountain from the exit of Haunted Mansion all the way down by Pooh, so clearly they aren't thinking about convenience.

Why they could even have electronic tickets beamed to your cell phone when you punched in the right code. This works great for those of us who know the system, but the system is really designed for tourists who have never been to Disneyland and find the lines too long. It gives them a chance to go on one or two big rides without a wait. Us regulars are so used to the system and how to use it, that we can get on every FP ride there is with time to spare. Heck, we even go home with one or two unused tickets in our wallets. This is not the desired effect, and having generic kiosks would make that pattern of behavior increase.

As a regular, I tend not to use FP all that often. I will get one for Space Mountain usually and that's it. Everything else can wait for a shorter line, even if that means waiting a week or two.

Maybe they should limit AP cards to one per day, or not allow annual Passports to work in the machines at all. :eek:

HisKid
04-01-2008, 08:14 AM
Nope, disagree. Personally, I wouldn't mind if they got rid of it completely. At least make people use the fastpass during the timespan.

Why?

Jim Dear and Darling
04-01-2008, 08:16 AM
They have thought of this idea, but what would happen is certain kiosks would be jam packed with people and others would be completely ignored. The idea of the system is that you are "waiting in line" during that time, so you have to at least get to the line.

That makes sense.

Good idea though, dutchess. :)

TTFN92
04-01-2008, 10:24 AM
I totally agree with you. It would make it much easier and nicer. However... I have a feeling that all that "cross park walking" is probably one of the factors that helps make the Fastpass system work. Then again, I don't claim to know all the logistics of the system. :)

That was my thought exactly.

The old man
04-01-2008, 03:55 PM
Why?

There are a number of anti-FP on this site. I think they're nuts. We will be going to DL on Saturday 4/11. We will do at least 20 rides including multiple Space, Indy, BTMRR, etc. Couldn't do it without FP.

Malcon10t
04-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Why?FastPass is ok, but I hate that everyone gets their tickets for the 10-11 am and hangs onto their fastpasses until 8-10pm. Have you ever tried to go on Soarin' in the standby line at night (8-9pm)? You can be entering the building, and have a 40 minute wait from there as all the fastpasses show up to ride "at the end of the night".

I'm not really anti Fastpass. I could care less about it, as I can't use it anyway in Disneyland, we can only use it in DCA.

tmptink
04-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Are you saying a FP "station" at every land that you can get a FP for all over the park?

If that was the case I agree with Malcon10t with making the people go on the ride at the time slot provided because while you are using your FP at the time slot at lets say Space Mountain you can pick up a FP for Splash Mountain w/o having to run over to Splash.

kennythepirate
04-01-2008, 05:07 PM
A Fastpass Vending Machine!
I'll take the Diet Splash Mountain and the Caffeine Free Indiana Jones with a side of Space Zero.
While we are at it, we could have everyone pay a fee for each group of FASTPASSES they receive, then when they are for sale on EBAY, they'll break even.
LOL.

I like FP and use it thoroughly to my advantage BTW.

dutchess13
04-01-2008, 05:23 PM
I can't use it anyway in Disneyland, we can only use it in DCA.

Why can't you use it?
I could see why one might be a little bitter about the FP system if you can't use it. :eek:

adriennek
04-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Why can't you use it?
I could see why one might be a little bitter about the FP system if you can't use it. :eek:

I'm not Malcon10t but I know the answer! FP lines at DLR aren't accessible.

Adrienne

Malcon10t
04-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Adrienne knows! Yep, the FP lines in DL are not accessible. So, even if I get a fastpass for Space Mountain, we have to head to the HA line, where we get to wait 45-60 mins anyway.

MammaSilva
04-01-2008, 09:11 PM
My biggest gripe about that...if the attraction has a FP then HCA riders should be allowed the use of their FP returns at the HCA entrance (not getting there hours later but in the real return window) it would make people less likely to rent chairs to try and 'cheat' IMHO.

The old man
04-02-2008, 08:04 AM
FastPass is ok, but I hate that everyone gets their tickets for the 10-11 am and hangs onto their fastpasses until 8-10pm. Have you ever tried to go on Soarin' in the standby line at night (8-9pm)? You can be entering the building, and have a 40 minute wait from there as all the fastpasses show up to ride "at the end of the night".

I'm not really anti Fastpass. I could care less about it, as I can't use it anyway in Disneyland, we can only use it in DCA.
I'm going to have to assume that less than 5% know about the "hang on trick" on any given day at DLR. I think that there are at least 10% who don't even understand, or use FP, on any given day so I don't think there's a huge group who know about hanging on. Our view is tainted in that we read MP and other websites and so we are "in the know."

To answer your question. No I haven't stood in the standby line at 8pm, I'm one of the smart ones who's holding onto a FP to use at the end of the night.

DisneyFamilyOf6
04-02-2008, 08:38 AM
I'm going to have to assume that less than 5% know about the "hang on trick" on any given day at DLR. I think that there are at least 10% who don't even understand, or use FP, on any given day so I don't think there's a huge group who know about hanging on. Our view is tainted in that we read MP and other websites and so we are "in the know."

To answer your question. No I haven't stood in the standby line at 8pm, I'm one of the smart ones who's holding onto a FP to use at the end of the night.

Sorry I'm confused what is the "hang on trick" does that mean you can use your fastpasses anytime not just when the time window is?

Bytebear
04-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Sorry I'm confused what is the "hang on trick" does that mean you can use your fastpasses anytime not just when the time window is?

Correct. The end time is irrelivant.

HisKid
04-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Correct. The end time is irrelivant.

So this is generally accepted? DH and I felt kind of like we were cheating when we did that, so if this is a general, OK thing that will be great to know.

Bytebear
04-02-2008, 09:05 AM
So this is generally accepted? DH and I felt kind of like we were cheating when we did that, so if this is a general, OK thing that will be great to know.

Nope, it's not cheating. It is standard practice. The CMs will not even blink. You can collect 3 or 4 passes at one time, and use them when you want. But don't hoarde them, or you will find that you end up not using them at all.

lofosho
04-02-2008, 09:23 AM
I love the fastpass, and my dad and I have worked out a "system of optimization", as my computer programmer dad likes to say, where we've figured out which fastpasses to get at the right time to make sure we fit everything in and never wait in line. Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't think that I've actually waited in a standby line since they started the fastpasses.

I agree with whoever said it, that the "cross park walking" is actually what makes the system work, i.e. you actually have to be there at a specific time. Yes, the changes the OP suggested would make the system "easier", but thaty would also make fastpasses run out wayyyy more quickly, and In my opinion, basically defeat the purpose and convinience of having a fastpass, i.e. if everyone has one, they aren't special anymore!

Just a thought. :)

The old man
04-02-2008, 10:44 AM

This is what I'm talking about, not a large percentage of people know about it, even here.