PDA

View Full Version : Why only one monorail?

Matterhorn Yodeler
03-31-2008, 12:25 PM
I was at DLR yesterday and rode the monorail into Tomorrowland from DTD. There was a long line and we had to wait for two trains. One of the CM's said that only one monorail (purple) was operating and it was about 20 minutes per cycle.

Now I know that they have been having troubles with the new Mark VII monorail testing, but why would they only operate the one monorail, especially on a busy Spring Break weekend?

Darkbeer
03-31-2008, 01:36 PM
I was at DLR yesterday and rode the monorail into Tomorrowland from DTD. There was a long line and we had to wait for two trains. One of the CM's said that only one monorail (purple) was operating and it was about 20 minutes per cycle.

Now I know that they have been having troubles with the new Mark VII monorail testing, but why would they only operate the one monorail, especially on a busy Spring Break weekend?

Because there is only one Mark V left in the park. The other three have been sent elsewhere. The first one removed (Orange) went to Glendale and let the WDI folks work on the plans for the new Mark VII. The other 2 have been sent to Canada, since they are using the iron frame from the Mark V for the new Mark VII's. (no need to recast a piece of steel)

Matterhorn Yodeler
04-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Because there is only one Mark V left in the park. (no need to recast a piece of steel)

Did they have two monorails operating until recently? How long has DLR only had one operating?

Thanks for the info Darkbeer!

P.S. I really enjoy your photos!

Darkbeer
04-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Did they have two monorails operating until recently? How long has DLR only had one operating?

!

The former Mark V Red left the park to go to Canada during the first week of January, 2008. So there has only been 1 Monorail available for about 3 months.

Katran
04-01-2008, 12:41 PM
When did they get rid of Blue? It was there about a year ago. :confused:

Another Dimension
04-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Why only one monorail?

Because Team Disney Anaheim had other mis-guided priorties several years ago... when they were told many different times, by many different 'actual people in the know'... that it would be a very good idea to start planning new Monorails.

:(