PDA

View Full Version : Solution for Rocket Rods Knott's Xcellerator?

DBJ
09-12-2002, 09:37 AM
I am wondering if the solution to Rocket Rods isn't just to take the launch system of Xcelerator and apply it to the defunct attraction, of course with actual coaster trains and new track, but following the same circuit. Or magnetic system like Superman or Wicked Twister? Combined with perhaps a new layout that rejoins the previous track at certain points.

It certainly would be nice to see some more attractions operating in Tomorrowland.

RStar
09-12-2002, 12:24 PM
Again, the problem with that is the flat track. You need banks in the turns to do that. Also, I'm sure they would need to tear it all down to be able to get a coaster on it. It would be nice, but I don't see it happening any time soon. The only saving grace is with the short supply of real estate putting a new ride up above everything is a good idea (not to mention that Tommarrowland looks good with stuff up in the air).

zapppop
09-12-2002, 01:27 PM
I've got a good idea:

BRING BACK THE PEOPLEMOVER !!!

RStar
09-12-2002, 02:26 PM
Yes, but now they would have to put in all new motors, fix the track back the way it was, build new trains, fix the queue, ect., ect., ect. They may as well build a new ride that would be more popular than the old one.

Haven't we been through all this already?

zapppop
09-12-2002, 02:29 PM
I'd rather see the PeopleMover there than anything else, even something completely different and new. PeopleMover was the best.

rexfarms
09-12-2002, 05:05 PM
Sorry but when I read the name of the tread, I said outloud NO. We need Peoplemover :)

Lani
09-12-2002, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
BRING BACK THE PEOPLEMOVER !!!Hear hear!

Laffite
09-12-2002, 10:26 PM
The reason PM was taken out in the first place was because it killed people. If it were to come back, the vehicle would be a cage. Not pretty.

Nigel2
09-12-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Laffite
The reason PM was taken out in the first place was because it killed people. If it were to come back, the vehicle would be a cage. Not pretty.

Actually one of the reasons they probably didn't keep it when they were remodeling Tommorowland was because it was a slow ride and didn't draw people in. Rocket rods drew people in, but poor planing killed the ride. Plus WDW still has their Peoplemover (Tommorowland Transit Authority) and the cars are much more open than the DLR ones since it moves on a covered path.

DBJ
09-13-2002, 06:58 AM
what about Tron? I remember way back in the day being on the people mover and moving through a Tron preview section.

They do need a high speed thrill ride at TL, that's what Rocket Rods was supposed to be, and they still need to fill that void. I thought if they took the modern tech of LSM/LIM's, they could build a new ride (hard to believe for DL I know) that achieved the same speed they were looking for out of Rocket Rods, but since it would be a coaster car (remember when Disney created amazing coasters - Matterhorn, Space Mountain - with amazing themes) on a new coaster track - and not on the flat track there now, it would solve the wear and tear issue that doomed Rocket Rods.

Peoplemover would be a huge waste of money to bring back. Who cares about riding a monorail? They haven't built a good thrill ride since Indy almost a decade ago.

Ace
09-13-2002, 10:12 PM
I'm gonna make a guess here.... but any new ride in TL will have something to do with Tron 2.0, if it's any good.

Nigel2
09-13-2002, 10:27 PM
Hmmmm... I don't think I would put a bet on that. Heck who knows if they even plan on putting anything in within the deccade?

The RX Droid
09-14-2002, 12:42 AM
Well that "Xcellerator" idea wouldn't work without a new track and new cars. And if Disney were to invest money in such things, why not create something totally new instead taking a hint from knott's?

Bring back the peoplemover? Give me a break!
Let's speculate, fantasize, let our imagination run wild. I refuse to believe we're so creatively bankcrupt we can't dream up something we'd rather see other than the old peoplemover.

Personally, I'd like to see see a suspended coaster, with music, (ala the former space mountain and california screamin'), fly in and around tomorrow land, doing camel backs up and down, underground and high above ground, and it'll take the "Entering space mountain show building" concept further, when it actually intertwines with the Space Mountain track, spinning and encounting many "near misses" with the coaster. Also, this ride could ride along side the monorail for a long streach of track "racing" it... And for the grand finally, the new ride will enter it's own little show bulding, where a movie projected on all visible walls will enhance the illusion of speed, giving a psychedelic unreal illusion of speed.

now that's MY suggestion for a peoplemove replacement.

Ghoulish Delight
09-14-2002, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by The RX Droid
...and it'll take the "Entering space mountain show building" concept further, when it actually intertwines with the Space Mountain track, spinning and encounting many "near misses" with the coaster. ... That would require a completely new track in Space. Have you seen it with lights on? It's one compact little structure. While it's not as close as the darkenss makes it feel (as in, you won't get your hands chopped if you raise 'em), there's definitely no room to intertwine a coaster in there!

The RX Droid
09-14-2002, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
That would require a completely new track in Space. Have you seen it with lights on? It's one compact little structure. While it's not as close as the darkenss makes it feel (as in, you won't get your hands chopped if you raise 'em), there's definitely no room to intertwine a coaster in there!

That's very true...But hey, rumours are that SM will get a new track for the 50th, so, so you never know! :) Though it is incredibly unlikely the mouse would invest in a rocket rods replacement for the 50th, being they're already strapping themselves for cash with the other Fav Five rehabs.

HeeHeeHeeHoHoHo
09-14-2002, 12:46 PM
Even with smallish single RR cars - wasn't part of the problem that the track was not desinged for high speed and kept shaking all the buildings in Tommorrow Land? I think Disney should rip out the PM/RR track if they won't use it in the near future - it's ugly and looks tacky

thekirk
09-14-2002, 01:59 PM
I went on the people about 10+ years ago...when I was really young......I don't remember it, but would like to see it back. Just to have more in tomorrowland. People say that the reason things leave the park is because people don't like them, but I now for me, personally, I hate walking into Tomorrowland, it makes me sad. I think they need to bring back a new and improved version of the people mover, and a brand new version of CirlceVision (I remember that too). Bringing back these two things will really help Tomorrowland, and Disneyland.

mikemgmve
10-04-2002, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
(as in, you won't get your hands chopped if you raise 'em)

NO! IT WILL HAPPEN!!! KEEP YOUR HANDS DOWN!!! AHHHH! :p :p :p

Seriously though. I don't wanna lose a hand, and people should keep there hands down, because it frightens poor lil old me.