PDA

View Full Version : Sept. 11, 2002 at the DLR

cstephens
09-12-2002, 12:22 AM
I got to DL at about 10am, and it was relatively uncrowded, but then again, it was a Wednesday in off-season. I saw that the flag in Town Square was indeed at half staff. I wandered around Main Street a bit (and noticed that the porch was blocked off again - some painters were working, so apparently, they’re not done yet) and then had breakfast at Carnation Café. During my meal, I heard an informational announcement over the public address system about the moment of silence to be held at noon, and the invitation for all guests to participate, wherever they were. After breakfast, I wandered over to New Orleans Square to do some browsing. As I passed Pirates and was approaching Café Orleans, a family in front of me stopped a passing CM to ask if the Haunted Mansion was going to be open. The CM asked if they’d been over to the Mansion, and the mother said that they hadn’t but it looked like the gate was closed. The CM then said that the attraction might be one of those that opened at 11am. At that point, I interceded and mentioned that the Mansion would be closed until October. The mother thanked me for the information, and the CM made some comment acknowledging the information I had given her. After they had all left, I looked over towards the Mansion and saw that they apparently had some information on the closed gate about Jack taking over the Mansion. I couldn’t read the sign but I could see the figure of Jack. It kind of irritated me that the CM had given out the wrong information. Mansion being closed for a month should be something she knows in order to provide that very information to guests, but, even if she doesn’t know it, I don’t understand why she didn’t just say that she didn’t know rather than making up an answer that would have resulted in the family returning in an hour only to be disappointed that Mansion wasn’t open. On a few occasions, I’ve seen/heard a CM give an uncertain and incorrect answer to a guest rather than just saying “I don’t know”. I think an honest answer is much better than a made-up one, but maybe that’s just me.

After a bit, I wandered back to Main Street and made my way to Town Square. As it drew closer to noon, more people gathered, including many CMs coming from the backstage door near the Mad Hatter, and another announcement came over the public address system that the ceremony would commence soon. As noon came around, all the sounds on Main Street ceased. A recording was played about the remembrances of the day, followed by a pre-recorded speech by President Bush. (I’m presuming that President Bush made the recording, which was then made available for all to play on this occasion.) The speech was followed by a moment of silence (which I’ve come to understand means “one minute”). Afterward, a man singing “God Bless America” was played. I’m not sure who was singing, but I’m wondering if it was Danny Rodriguez. After the song, the Disneyland Band, which had come out just prior to the start of the ceremony, started their regular set, and everyone dispersed. I thought the ceremony was just right - a little bit more than just a moment of silence but not a big production at all.

I then left the resort to run some errands and then returned later in the afternoon. On my way back into DL, I ended up running into an out-of-town friend and stopped to talk to her for a bit. Back in DL, I went back to Town Square and waited for flag retreat, which was held at 4:30. Flag retreat wasn’t much different than usual, except that they had to raise the flag to full staff for a bit before taking it down. Some CMs also came out to watch this, and there were probably more people watching than normal, but not the same size crowd as for the noon event.

After flag retreat, I went into “Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln” to listen to his Gettysburg speech sans headphones. After leaving the building, I noticed a change in the area near Showcase that used to house the pin traders’ tables, so I went over to have a look. There’s a façade/backdrop up that looks like a photo op location (no, I don’t have any pictures). There’s a fairly large picture of an evening shot of a wind-swept Haunted Mansion, with a closed white gate in front as if you were looking at a house a distance away. On either side is a picture of a scary-looking jack o’ lantern, with black garlands lining the top of the picture and black trees on either side further out from the jack o’ lantern pictures, with the garlands and trees decorated with small, white holiday lights. It would be great to have a picture taken there, with or without any characters, though Jack and Sally would be cool additions. Wonder what’s up with that.

Heading up Main Street, I stepped into the cinema for a bit. I love “Plane Crazy”. Continuing on and into the China Closet, I noticed some new merchandise there. They have the Haunted Mansion snowglobe and spooky holiday house that are being sold through the catalog. The catalog have both priced at $68.50. At the China Closet, the snowglobe is $75 and the holiday house is $58. Purchasing both would be cheaper to do at DL, especially since there would be no shipping costs. We hadn’t gotten around to ordering them from the catalog yet, so now we know we can get them at DL.

Oh, another merchandising note - the Premiere Shop still has the pins from the “Where’s Mickey” event last Sunday, in case anyone still wants those. The sound pins from August are still there as well. I looked at the build-a-pin selection again and still left empty-handed. I love some of the add-ons (white Space Mountain, HM logo, Sorcerer Mickey, Steamboat Willie), but I don’t like any of the backs, and they’re not particularly appropriate for the add-ons I want. Can’t very well have Space Mountain and the HM logo romping around on the beach or in a campground. Guess I’ll have to wait for more backs.

I wandered over to Coke Corner and listened to the piano player for a bit while I waited for my husband to join me after work. As I’d heard, Rod wasn’t there, but it wasn’t Johnny either. It was someone else I’d not seen before, but he was good. When my husband arrived, we headed off to do some errands and dinner off-property.

SzczerbiakManiac
09-12-2002, 08:38 AM
RallyMonkey and I were there in the evening. We saw they were setting up light rigs to shoot a commercial at the HM. I would have loved to stay to watch it being filmed, but the park was going to close in about 30 minutes and they weren't any where near being done setting up.

I wonder if that means we can look forward to seeing the HMH on TV...?

DLfreak
09-12-2002, 09:02 AM
You mean they might actually advertise on TV this year!?!?! ;)

Me and a couple friends were there yesterday. Got there about 2:30. Definitely enjoyed the crowds...or lack of. :)

Ghoulish Delight
09-12-2002, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by cstephens
After leaving the building, I noticed a change in the area near Showcase that used to house the pin traders’ tables, so I went over to have a look. There’s a façade/backdrop up that looks like a photo op location (no, I don’t have any pictures). There’s a fairly large picture of an evening shot of a wind-swept Haunted Mansion, with a closed white gate in front as if you were looking at a house a distance away. On either side is a picture of a scary-looking jack o’ lantern, with black garlands lining the top of the picture and black trees on either side further out from the jack o’ lantern pictures, with the garlands and trees decorated with small, white holiday lights. It would be great to have a picture taken there, with or without any characters, though Jack and Sally would be cool additions. Wonder what’s up with that.
Shoot, that reminds me. At the wedding meet, we got some really good group shots in front of that mural! Gotta post those. cemeinke's camera has one with Tigger and one with Eyeore!

Traci
09-12-2002, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by DLfreak
You mean they might actually advertise on TV this year!?!?! ;)

Me and a couple friends were there yesterday. Got there about 2:30. Definitely enjoyed the crowds...or lack of. :)

That's cause only a DLFreak would go after 2:30pm on a Wednesday! he he he he he he ;) :D

DLfreak
09-12-2002, 12:08 PM
Love you too Traci. ;) :D :p

Traci
09-12-2002, 01:47 PM
I know you do! :D ;)

HowardBeale
09-12-2002, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DLfreak
[B]You mean they might actually advertise on TV this year!?!?! ;)

They advertise all the time here in the LA area. The Disneyland 'Zip-a-dee-doo-dah' campaign with the annoying pop singer and all the various scenes of everybody having fun.

Then DCA was showcasing the 'Disney's Electrical Parade' and the 'Adults get in for the Kid's Price'

But that's here in LA...

Ghoulish Delight
09-12-2002, 03:17 PM
I think DLfreak was specifically referring to Haunted Mansion Holiday. There was no tv ad campaign for it last year. Actually, I don't remember seeing ads in any media (though I might have just missed them). Even without the ads, HMH pulled in a ton of people. If they advertise, they should really draw them in this year. Good for the company, bad for the crowding :( Get your Faspass now!!

DLfreak
09-13-2002, 08:36 AM
Yes, I did mean specifically for HMH.
I have seen plenty of advertising for DL/DCA in general. But I don't recall seeing anything for HMH last year.
And I agree, it won't be good for those of us that want to go on it 100 times!!! ;) But I can be happy using fast pass. I just can't wait to see it again! :D

cstephens
09-16-2002, 11:17 PM
They've started advertising all right. They were handing out this sticker (http://www.colddeadfish.net/images/HMH-Sticker.jpg) at the cast member previews of Flik's Fun Fair this past weekend.