PDA

View Full Version : The Lilly Belle

dolphinwhaleg
03-29-2008, 06:31 PM
So just to fill some people in... the Lilly Belle is a train car that Walt created for his wife... it is at the end of the train that runs around the park...
one of its stopps is right at the enterance of the park...

So i went to disneyland yesterday... and as far as my knowledge went, only club 33 members and special guests were aloud to ride in it. So we were on the train, riding to the front of the park... and we learned anybody is aloud to ride in it!
they took us in it and lets us look around but we didnt get to ride in it becasue we were leaving AND they have to have an extra conductor on board to let anybody ride in it.

So if you go up and ask to ride in it AND they have an extra conductor working you may get to ride in it! You may already know this but i thought i might share the wonderful information i learned!

Malcon10t
03-29-2008, 10:40 PM
We have rode the Lilly Belle before. You have to be in the right place at the right time. They do limit it. It is very beautiful inside. I used to have our picture of our dog sleeping in the Lilly Belle as my avatar.

dolphinwhaleg
03-29-2008, 11:03 PM
aww how sweet!
i thought i was lucky just to walk in it!

i guess most people already knew about this because nobody is responding... but i just wanted to share =]

Malcon10t
03-30-2008, 11:46 AM
aww how sweet!
i thought i was lucky just to walk in it!

i guess most people already knew about this because nobody is responding... but i just wanted to share =]I think most do. Here is our pup! (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/picture.php?albumid=63&pictureid=404)

smd4
03-30-2008, 01:12 PM
So just to fill some people in... the Lilly Belle is a train car that Walt created for his wife... it is at the end of the train that runs around the park...Well, looks like we need to fill you in as well! ;)

Walt Disney NEVER saw the Lilly Belle, and he certainly didn't create it for his wife. It was simply the last car of the original passenger train.

If you want the real scoop on the Lilly Belle story, please see my MousePlanet article here:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mm051019sg

This was written before the rehab that took place in 2005. Since then, yes, almost anyone can ride the car. If you get aboard, you will be presented with a beautiful ticket--like the one shown in my article--and the conductor will "punch" it.

SANDYMARIE
03-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Well, looks like we need to fill you in as well! ;)

Walt Disney NEVER saw the Lilly Belle, and he certainly didn't create it for his wife. It was simply the last car of the original passenger train.

If you want the real scoop on the Lilly Belle story, please see my MousePlanet article here:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mm051019sg

This was written before the rehab that took place in 2005. Since then, yes, almost anyone can ride the car. If you get aboard, you will be presented with a beautiful ticket--like the one shown in my article--and the conductor will "punch" it.

How cool, you learn something new everyday!

TTFN :)

Tinkermommy
03-30-2008, 08:39 PM
i guess most people already knew about this because nobody is responding... but i just wanted to share =]

I didn't know that. I didn't respond sooner because I was speechless with joy. :p

I will have to try this!

Heffalump
03-30-2008, 08:59 PM
We were able to ride 1 year ago with my parents and kids. It was a very pretty car and we enjoyed it alot. I was surprised we could ride too but my cousin lives close to Disneyland and told me that it was not for special people but us commoners could ride as well. :)

Crazy4DL
03-30-2008, 09:15 PM
it was not for special people but us commoners could ride as well. :)

How cool . . . except hey, aren't we all "special"? ;)

hayjennn
03-30-2008, 09:55 PM
I can't wait for my tripn June, we are diffently going to have to try to ride. Is there just one train that runs or are there two at a time?

thanks for all of the helpful advice everybody!!

smd4
03-31-2008, 04:38 AM
HayJenn, a minimum of two trains will operate at the same time. Up to four can opeate at once.

If less than four trains are running. it's possible the train with the Lilly Belle won't be on the line, depending on mainteance schedules, but they try to run it as often as possible.

bradk
04-02-2008, 05:44 PM
i got to ride it as part of a VIP tour in 2006. back then i think it was pretty strict on who could ride it, but now I believe even Walk in Walt's Footsteps groups go in it. I've read repeatedly that pretty much anyone can go to city hall and request it nowadays.

at least i got a ticket for it.

Heffalump
04-02-2008, 06:12 PM
at least i got a ticket for it.

I got the ticket too. We framed it along with a photo of our whole family. It was really special for us.

oregontraveler
04-03-2008, 10:28 AM
but now I believe even Walk in Walt's Footsteps groups go in it.

I took the Footsteps tour last year. As we heading into Small World, our guide noticed a train pulling into the ToonTown station. She walked rather briskly over there to hold the train so we could ride in the caboose.
Even though it's mentioned as pasrt of the tour, some tours might miss out.

Franz
04-03-2008, 10:46 AM
I didn't know much about this either. thanks for the info. We'll be there in 2 days and I'll have to try to ride in the Lilly Belle. Last trip DS got to pilot the Mark Twain and his official "license" the captain gave him is one of his most prized possessions. I'm sure the special ticket from the Lilly Belle would go nicely framed next to it!

Heffalump
04-03-2008, 11:11 AM
My son loves trains and I will have to ask about the railroad. How do you do that?

oregontraveler
04-03-2008, 11:35 AM
I almost said City Hall. Your best bet is the Main St. Station, they could tell if the Lilly Belle is running and if they have enough staff to open it up.

Heffalump
04-03-2008, 12:05 PM
We have been on the Lilly Belle with my folks and kids. I wondered how to get my son to do the train. If any one knows. Thank you for answering oregontraveler. :)

THpoohbear
04-03-2008, 12:19 PM
My sweet hubby and I rode the Lilly Belle last December. We walked up to the Main St. Station and asked the first conductor we saw. He asked us to wait, opened up a little door that I had never noticed before, to talk to someone who had a schedule in front of them. He came back and told us sorry, but they didn't have enough conductors at the moment, but he told us to come back later that day (he did give us a specific time) and ask then.

We did, and we were allowed to ride! The conductor that rode with us was great and shared a lot of wonderful information with us.

A couple I know did the same thing last summer.

As far as I understand, as long as they have enough CM's so they can spare one to ride with you, they allow it. I've heard you need to ask at Main St.

And oh, neither one of us got tickets. Perhaps they don't do that anymore?

bradk
04-03-2008, 03:20 PM
you can also ride tender on a couple of the engines. i have a bunch of photos from doing that (i couldn't believe how hot the cab is)

smd4
04-03-2008, 03:52 PM
you can also ride tender on a couple of the engines. i have a bunch of photos from doing that (i couldn't believe how hot the cab is)The cabs can get up to 140 degrees! Now, couple that with full bib overalls, gloves, hat, bandana...HOT!!

yellowrosedtxn
04-04-2008, 04:27 AM
In December we took the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. While doing the tour we did not get to ride the Lilly Belle, but our guide told us that if we wanted to go later that day, just to show them our tour "badge" and we could ride. We got to do it in the evening, which was great! We met a family that helped to get the Lilly Belle restored. They had wonderful stories to share.

What really bums me out though is we never got a special ticket. That would have been really cool. I'll have to try again next summer.

Tinkermommy
04-05-2008, 02:44 PM
We got to ride last night. What a beautiful car! I am SO grateful to have had the opportunity -- and with a great, knowledgeable cast member!