PDA

View Full Version : Comments on Grand Calfiornian Concierge

MichelleC
09-10-2002, 08:21 PM
Since there are regularly questions on the Grand Californian and the concierge level, I thought I would post this excerpt from the trip report I am writing. We stayed at the GC in mid August on the Concierge level. So here is my 2 cents for what it's worth:

Staying at the Grand Californian is tops. The hotel is beautiful. The room was very nice and comfortable. The staff was friendly and attentive. And best of all location, location, location. It was great to walk right into DCA or DTD. We were close to the monorail station and DL was a quick walk.

As for Concierge Level, I doubt we will ever pay for this service again. We encountered some extremely rude people that let there kids run and scream all over the lounge and the hall outside the lounge. I have never been shoved out of the way when I was getting food or anything else for that matter more times than I was here. I donít know why it was like this. And yes I know we were at Disneyland. But the behavior of the children didnít surprise me after I saw the behavior of some of their parents. It just seemed like people were trying to squeeze every dime out of the extra they paid to stay at the Concierge level. I will say that watching the fireworks from the lounge was fun and it was great not to have to deal with the crowds when you were so tired.

At the beginning of our trip I thought that we would upgrade our room at WDW to Concierge level. And who knows it could be a totally different experience at WDW. But after this experience, Iíll spend my money on a premium view and Iíll buy a bottle of wine and some snacks to enjoy in the comfort of my room. But I do think Iíll miss the coffee.

The lounge was very pretty and I would have liked to have spent more time there, but it was much more relaxing on our balcony. I would rather spend my money on the theme park view. We did definitely get the use of our balcony and spent a lot of time out there. It was nice to hear the Rockiní the Bay concerts, without having to deal with the crowd in the park to do it.

If you have any other questions, you can e-mail me.

Lani
09-10-2002, 11:21 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience, MichelleC. When you encountered the rambunctious children, did you say anything to the cast members there? Even if you didn't, you might consider writing to Disney to let them know what you told us. Although they can't really do anything about the behavior of guests, they need to know that this affects their bottom line.

Please make sure to add your comments to our hotel reviews page for the Grand Californian (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrgc&find-lower-limit=1) so others looking into Concierge there can learn about what your visit was like. :)

MichelleC
09-11-2002, 11:24 AM
You know, you're right. I should have said something to a CM about the affect that the other guests behavior had on us. If it hadn't been such a prevelant problem during the trip, we probably would have loved concierge and would be repeat guests. For now, I think I'll stick with a great view and my own balcony :-).

dasrock
09-13-2002, 02:13 AM
MichelleC,

Family and I stayed at the CG last July for 4 great nights.
We were on the 4th floor with the Downtown Disney view.
One of the best times we had was watching the firework show from our balcony. And a better time was the wife and I relaxing with a nice bottle if wine on the balcony after all the kids were asleep. My wife wondered about the concierge level.
thanks for the info.