PDA

View Full Version : Mother's Day at Disneyland article by Adrienne (AVP)

DisneyBubbles
03-26-2008, 08:41 AM
I just found a Mother's Day article at DL by Adrienne but it is from 2001. Is there an updated one available? It's great information she has in there but I do not know what is still current info and what is outdated.

DisneyBubbles
03-26-2008, 08:52 AM
This is what she writes about Disneyland Hotel. It sounds great. Do they still do this and are the times and prices the same?

Disney's Royal Buffet - . For the traditionalists, or for the first timer. This is classic annual event, and by far the largest. The Grand Ballroom is transformed into a lavishly decorated theme buffet. The food is always quite good, with a wide selection to choose from. You'll find a variety of carving stations; made to order waffles; salad bars and custom omelets; hot pasta stations and a variety of baked goods.

Children will enjoy their own buffest tables, sized just for them and filled with kiddy favorites. The dessert tables are always the highlight of the event. Disney food artists are on display, ready to amaze you with their skills. I could spend hours watching them turn the most basic vegetables into amazing works of art. The Disney Characters will be on hand for photo opportunities - bring your own camera!

Reservations are suggested, although walk-in guests will be accommodated as space allows. If you think you might pop in without a reservation, avoid the busiest hours of 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.

Disney's Royal Buffet
Disneyland Hotel, Grand Ballroom
9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Adults: $46.00
Children 3-11: $13.50
Children under 3: Free
Seniors: $42.00
10% Annual Pass discount applies (Premium and Deluxe only)
Call: 714-956-6413

Bytebear
03-26-2008, 09:01 AM
They still do the buffet, but the Easter buffet this year was $84, so prices have gone up significantly.

DisneyBubbles
03-26-2008, 09:04 AM
I have never heard of this Tea with mary poppins. Do they still have this?

You might also want to consider taking Mom to a Practically Perfect Tea, with your Hostess, Mary Poppins. Kevin Yee details this event in his Disneyland Restaurant Reviews section. Here are his notes:

Practically Perfect Tea

Only offered during peak (holiday) periods, the Practically Perfect Tea at the Disneyland Pacific Hotel naturally stars Mary Poppins. A different take on the concept of Character Breakfast, the Practically Perfect Tea features Victorian place settings, a wide selection of tea, and singing visits by that nanny Mary Poppins.

Morning Tea occurs at 10:00 a.m., and there is also an afternoon tea. Note: these operating hours are for holiday periods - check with the hotel to see if this is true on the day of your visit. This is an extremely popular attraction. You will likely be unable to secure reservations if you try to do it for the "next day." Call ahead early at (714) 956-6755. Hotel Parking can be validated if you eat at the Tea Room.

Located on the second floor of the Disneyland Pacific, you can find the Tea Room by entering the main (Harbor Blvd) entrance, going straight past the glass elevator. A few steps later, take the stairs to your right side, and the Tea Room is at the top of the steps.

Adults cost $18.50, Children (12 and Under) cost 12.20

IdahoMike
03-26-2008, 09:13 AM
Prices when I called 2 weeks ago were $83 for adults and $22 for kids, so they have gone up quite significantly.

Drince88
03-26-2008, 09:20 AM
I have never heard of this Tea with mary poppins. Do they still have this?
Nope. Haven't for quite a few years. There was much lamenting when it was cancelled. (You can also tell it was from quite a while ago when they don't even use the current name for the hotel - it was in the Paradise Pier Hotel.)

AVP
03-26-2008, 09:21 AM
Wow, another blast from the past. Here's the information about the 2008 Mother's Day Brunch:

Cinderella & Princess Friends present Disney's Royal Mother's Day Buffet
Sunday, May 11, 2008

Entertainment includes a Meet & Greet w/ Cinderella and the Disney characters & live entertainment (probably pianists)

Appetizers include green salads, cheese, fruit, smoked salmon
Active stations include omelet, carving and Mickey waffles
Entrees include free-range chicken, seafood, pasta
Desserts include a variety of specialties and a chocolate fountain
Complimentary champagne is offered to those 21 and over
Kids buffet stations include kid-friendly foods & desserts

Disneyland Hotel, Grand Ballroom
10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Adults: $83.02
Children 3-11: $23.01
Children under 3: Free
All prices include tax and gratuity.
Annual Pass (Premium and Deluxe only) and Cast Member discounts apply
Visitors receive 4 hours complimentary valet parking at the Disneyland Hotel.
This buffet is much busier than Easter, so reservations are strongly suggested.
Call: 714-956-6413 for reservations.

Boo's Mommy
03-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Sounds yummy, but worth $83 for 1 adult?

Sorry, my mistake ..... $83.02 for 1 adult! what's the deal with the 0.02 and 0.01?

AVP
03-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Sounds yummy, but worth $83 for 1 adult?

Sorry, my mistake ..... $83.02 for 1 adult! what's the deal with the 0.02 and 0.01?The prices include tax and gratuity, so they aren't even numbers.

DisneyBubbles
03-26-2008, 10:24 AM
That is a lot of money for one person for one meal

Tinker Bell
03-26-2008, 10:28 AM
There is no way I can eat $83.02 worth of food ( that would be $258.08 for my fam ) . I think I would prefer to hang at the park and go to one of the other meals they have there.

AVP
03-26-2008, 11:05 AM
That is a lot of money for one person for one meal

There is no way I can eat $83.02 worth of food ( that would be $258.08 for my fam ) . I think I would prefer to hang at the park and go to one of the other meals they have there.You're both correct - it's a huge amount of money for one meal, and there are a lot of alternatives at the Disneyland Resort.

Tony and I were engaged at the 1998 Easter Brunch, and we've gone to many of the Easter / Mother's Day / Thanksgiving events since then. Frankly, we stopped going after a really poor experience a few years ago. (It got so bad that we were bussing our own table and refilling our own drinks because our servers were nowhere to be found)

We had friends visiting from out of town this weekend, and we decided to make a last-minute reservation for the Easter brunch. Pretty much as soon as I walked in the door I turned to Tony and said "they really stepped it up." The decor was amazing, the character interactions were precious, the photo opportunities were very clever and the food was excellent. We were there for 2 1/2 hours and had a blast.

You're definitely not paying for the food. If you wanted to drop $80 to get the best food offered at Disneyland, head to Napa Rose. These events are more like a large-scale character meal. For some people, the opportunity to watch their kids get all dressed up and spend some quality time hunting Easter Eggs with Chip & Dale is worth the expense.

I don't think we're going to make each holiday an annual tradition, but I think we'll be back for at least one event each year.

I guess this means I need to post my photos and review...

AVP

olegc
03-26-2008, 01:20 PM
I don't think we're going to make each holiday an annual tradition, but I think we'll be back for at least one event each year.

I guess this means I need to post my photos and review...

AVP

yeah! "hop" to it! (a ha ha ha ha ha.... a knee slapper) :fez:

Boo's Mommy
03-26-2008, 08:43 PM
OOh AVP, especially the Easter one! Now that's kind of cool that the kids have an easter egg hunt. Was it crazy with tons of people or pretty lax? I guess my question really pertains to the egg hunt.
I like the character meals (though we've only been to 1 goofy's kitchen), the interaction at our table was sooo worth it. But the "group" parts where the kids all congregate together were kind of scary....there was a lot of running and pushing and grabbing and that was the parents!

Heffalump
03-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Some of my mommy friends have done the Disneyland Hotel brunch and said it was wonderful. I wish we could be there for mother's day but my own mother would be most unhappy if I took her grandchildren and myself out of town for mother's day.

AVP
03-26-2008, 08:57 PM
OOh AVP, especially the Easter one! Now that's kind of cool that the kids have an easter egg hunt. Was it crazy with tons of people or pretty lax? I guess my question really pertains to the egg hunt.It wasn't a traditional hunt, but there were empty eggs scattered all over the place. When the characters didn't have a line (which was more often than I would have believed), they would spend a LOT of time with whatever kids wandered over. Chip & Dale and Pluto all spent a lot of time searching through the planters and props and floral arrangements looking for eggs with the kids. We were right next to that photo location, and it was so cool to watch the characters with the little kids.

AVP

The Evil Queen
03-27-2008, 01:47 PM
There is no way I can eat $83.02 worth of food ( that would be $258.08 for my fam ) . I think I would prefer to hang at the park and go to one of the other meals they have there.

I'm with you, Tink! I would rather put that cash in our Disney jar for our next trip and enjoy a corndog and a churro while watching Laughing Stock!

Now THAT's what I call a Happy Mother's Day!

LdyApxr
03-27-2008, 04:27 PM
I was there on Easter and just could not justify that cost per person. Regardless of character interaction. Its a shame that it really got out of control(IMO).

tonytone
03-31-2008, 09:12 AM
The prices include tax and gratuity, so they aren't even numbers.
I guess when every last penny must count, numbers like those will always be the result. ;)

I mean, I can understand the subliminal impact of pricing something at say, $83.99...but when something is priced at one or two cents over a rounded dollar amount--clearly, someone wants to account for every last penny.