PDA

View Full Version : 50th rumors

merlinjones
09-10-2002, 07:12 AM
Sleeping Beauty Castle might get fiber optics for 50th:

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/newarticles/singles/gabam.htm

Snip:

>>How’s about this exciting tidbit? … Those of you who also saw the “autonomous walking platform”
sequence in the Travel Channel’s “Disney’s Imagineers” TV special may recall catching a glimpse of a miniature Cinderella’s Castle that seemed alive with color. This castle was plainly visible behind Eric Haseltine (Executive vice president in charge of research & development at Walt Disney Imagineering), as Haseltine spoke enthusiastically about how much fun it was to work at WDI.

>>So, what’s the deal with that castle? Well, those fluid color changes come as a direct result of all the fiber optics that had been installed in that miniature version of Cinderella’s Castle. This model was a test for … Well, I don’t really want to spoil the whole surprise. But let’s just say that Hong Kong Disneyland’s Sleeping Beauty Castle will seem that much more magical after dark.

>>More to the point, provided that Cynthia Harris can actually get Disney Company management to approve the funding, the original Sleeping Beauty’s Castle at Disneyland may take on an extra special sheen after dark too during its 50th anniversary year … But you didn’t hear this from me.<<

This article also has a detailed description of the Atlantis attraction that might have been in DL's Submarine Voyage lagoon - - if the movie had been a hit. I don't see why that general idea/overlay still couldn't be adapted to the perennially popular 20,000 Leagues instead...

Gemini Cricket
09-10-2002, 07:24 AM
Thanks for posting the link to this article. It's a really great read. Now I'm wondering which other ideas are sitting in Imagineering's Ride Idea Graveyard... Hmmm.

I think it would be a nice touch for Sleeping Beauty's Castle to receive a fiber optic makeover. I always thought that they should utilize this failed "Light Magic" technique somewhere else besides bits and pieces on POTC, Big Thunder etc.

In fact, I think the finale to the Peter Pan section of Fantasmic should have the Pirate ship "turn to gold" by lighting up with gold fiber optic lights all over the ship as if a little Tinkerbell was spreading it all over (like the movie). That would be cool.

btw- No offense to MP, but thanks for the link to Jim Hill's site. :D

Ghoulish Delight
09-10-2002, 07:36 AM
Maybe we'll finally get Leota's tomb stone at the Mansion! Heck, that's probably all we'll get :rolleyes:

Gemini Cricket
09-10-2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Maybe we'll finally get Leota's tomb stone at the Mansion! Heck, that's probably all we'll get :rolleyes:
I hope we do. In fact, I hope they do it and don't tell anyone. It would be a great discovery. I love when Disney does stuff like that, add new cool elements without much ado about it. Then you can find it and have a happy "Disney detail" moment.

Sadly, as the add things without much ado about it, they also seem to remove other things without telling anyone either...
;)

bandboy1985
09-10-2002, 07:51 PM
wow...i'm excited about sleeping beauty's castle being decked out in fiber optics...but i have to admit, doing up the columbia in hidden twinkling golden fiber optics for the tinkerbell transformation would be SO COOL!

it would also be really cool if they could incorporate the fiber optics into the fireworks display...blanket it in in red and gold for the "hellfire" segment, vibrant multicolor fading to twinkling white for the finale...that too would be really neat if it could be well-maintained and totally hidden during the day.

wasn't there a mention that main street had been bored with thousands of tiny holes in prep for an installation of fiber optics in the early 90's? (maybe it was just mentioned that this had been proposed) i remember seeing it at night at epcot after illuminations 2000, and it would have been a very magical experience set to music in a less crowded but expansive area...can anyone else remember that mention?

newhdplayer
09-10-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by bandboy1985
wow...i'm excited about sleeping beauty's castle being decked out in fiber optics...but i have to admit, doing up the columbia in hidden twinkling golden fiber optics for the tinkerbell transformation would be SO COOL!

it would also be really cool if they could incorporate the fiber optics into the fireworks display...blanket it in in red and gold for the "hellfire" segment, vibrant multicolor fading to twinkling white for the finale...that too would be really neat if it could be well-maintained and totally hidden during the day.

Sorry to disappoint everyone; but instead of fiberoptics for the castle, the following has been proposed and accepted instead.

Each guest will have the "once in a lifetime" opportunity to purchase a "special edition" Fantasmic flashlight, with your choice of different color, snap-on covers. These flashlights will then be used by the guest, in coordination with the fireworks, to illuminate the castle.

This "once-in-a-lifetime" moment of Disney Magic can be purchased for only $29.95 (Batteries not included)

bandboy1985
09-10-2002, 08:40 PM
ok- now how is that similar? AT ALL?!?

isn't trying to "illuminate the castle" with a bunch of low-powered flashlights akin to trying to take a picture of mount rushmore at night with a flash?

Andrew
09-10-2002, 09:34 PM
wasn't there a mention that main street had been bored with thousands of tiny holes in prep for an installation of fiber optics in the early 90's?

Most of the Main Street buildings have (or at least had) fiber optics installed for Light Magic. If you ever saw the show, you may remember the "waves" of light rippling down the building awnings during various segments. I don't imagine they'd have gone to the trouble of removing the actual fiber after the show ended, though the driving mechanisms are probably no longer installed.

newhdplayer
09-11-2002, 08:38 PM
ok- now how is that similar? AT ALL?!?

isn't trying to "illuminate the castle" with a bunch of low-powered flashlights akin to trying to take a picture of mount rushmore at night with a flash?

I have neglected to mention that the flashlights will actually have the new H3" halogen bulb to triple the candela output. The only drawback to this would be the inversely proportioned shorter battery life.

RStar
09-12-2002, 08:21 AM
I'm sorry, but

THAT'S A JOKE, RIGHT?

I'm easy to fool, but I'm not sure about this one.....

newhdplayer
09-12-2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by RStar
I'm sorry, but

THAT'S A JOKE, RIGHT?

I'm easy to fool, but I'm not sure about this one.....

Um, yes it is.

However, if you are reading this, Paul P., you may want to think about it.