PDA

View Full Version : Rod Miller and Coke Corner

Sophie832
09-10-2002, 01:04 AM
I was reading the Maynard thread, and I saw someone mention Rod Miller.

Gauchograd99 and I are regulars at Coke Corner every weekend to listen (and participate) when Rod plays piano. He hardly ever forgets a name or face, and he has a devoted set of regulars, some of whom have been coming there for 20-30 years! People dance, sing, and have a great time listening to ragtime piano while sipping a coke. It's a big part of the Disney magic for me.

I was wondering if anyone else hangs out at the piano regularly? Any Rod stories to share?

Although there are many wonderful CMs at Disneyland, 3 really stand out for me: Maynard, Bill the Fantasmic CM, and Rod Miller.

(Incidentally, he won't be at Disneyland this week Sept. 11-15 because he's out of town)

Tref
09-10-2002, 08:01 AM
I don't have an Rod stories per se, but for me, Rod is as important to my day at Disneyland as a ride on Pirates. God bless Rod Miller!

i remain,

adriennek
09-10-2002, 08:16 AM
I don't know if this is a story or not but I do have a picture of Rod holding Matthew the first time Matthew went to DL at 19 days old. It's a cute picture. :) I didn't get one of Rod holding Spencer. :(

Adrienne K

PurpleDove33
09-10-2002, 08:20 AM
Thank you Sophie for letting me know about Rod being gone this week. When I was there last friday, I didn't hear that this week he was going to be gone. I had planned to go tomorrow and then on Saturday to hand out listening to my favorite piano player. Is he only going to be gone this week? Who knows maybe I have seen you and not known. Some days that is the reason I come to the park, to hang out and listen to him play. I love the way he is so friendly with all the guests. I noticed that you are in the same area as me. So hello neighbor. Have a great day and maybe we will see each other around the piano.

RStar
09-10-2002, 08:32 AM
I always try to stop by and say hi to Rod when I'm there. I usually only hang for a couple of songs, though. Maybe if we all wore a MousePad button (if you have them) so we know that we are padders, then we can introduce ourselves. I've only been visiting since 1995, but he has watched my kids go from 8 & 10 years old to teens towering over him (they are about 6' tall, and Rod is, what, 5' or so). If he hasn't told you the story about the hearse yet, ask him. It's a funny one.

cstephens
09-10-2002, 09:51 AM
We don't hang out there as often as we used to, but we've actually spent some time at "the table" in the past few weeks. Lots of people have all kinds of memories at Rod's. Friends were even engaged there. I wasn't there for it, but I heard it was cool.

innerSpaceman
09-10-2002, 12:29 PM
There is no Disneyland without Rod.

It's been years and years since I regularly hung out at Coke Corner (about 17 years to be precise), but when I stopped by last month, Rod totally remembered me. Cool. I used to love hanging at the Corner, all the "regulars," the bizarre characters, and of course the inimatible tickling of the ivories by Mr. Miller.

Here's a cool Rod story: He can get away with anything. When he does something a little outside of current Disney policy and is called on it by the higher-ups, the suits invariably make the mistake of saying "who told you you could do that?" To which Rod blithely responds, "Walt did." Even though Rod wasn't really around during Walt's day, he is SUCH an oldtimer that he regularly gets away with this response.

On a side note, back in those same days (1985) when I used to visit the Park every single weekend during Disneyland's fabulous 30th year and hang at Coke Corner through most afternoons, my pals and I would also see every gig of the Disneyland Band. Well just this past weekend as I was entering the Park, a Disneyland Band concert was in progress in Town Square. I stopped to watch and actually recognized three "old-timers" from almost 2 decades ago. After the concert, however, I was blown away, touched to the core, and brought to teary eyes by the fact that THEY REMEMBERED ME AS WELL. Disneyland musicians rock!

Bill Catherall
09-10-2002, 12:38 PM
Does Rod have a CD out?

adriennek
09-10-2002, 01:00 PM
He has one by himself and one with Alan Thompson that is 4-hand piano. I think they still sell it at DLR. I know you could get them from MouseShoppe in the past, too (haven't looked for them there recently, though!)

Adrienne K

Allysen1Derland
09-10-2002, 03:44 PM
Wow! :)

When I was sixteen, and a brand-new CM, it was 1989! My first job ever was Coke Corner and The Main Street Cone Shoppe (I was too young to work attractions! :( ) But I had a blast!!!! :) And I remember listening to Rod playing the piano vividly every day! Besides Rod, a piano player named Johnny used to play quite a bit! The last time I was @ DL, Hades and I went to get Mickey pretzels, and Johnny was back!! I hadn't seen him in umpteen years! Am I losing my mind? Was he ever really gone? :confused:

Morrigoon
09-10-2002, 03:44 PM
You wanna hear a great Walt story? Ask Rod about Walt and Carlsbad Caverns. Nearly brought a tear to the eye!

rexfarms
09-10-2002, 05:15 PM
I am there most everytime I go. Say hi to me next time. Or just ask if I am a MPer. I dont have a button dont go to the meet but would love to meet some of you. I am sure I have already seen some of you. :)

Oh and I have HIS CD and its great. I love it, I listen to his CD then Believe then finally Fantasmic! on nights when I am at home. I love it! :)

Gauchograd99
09-10-2002, 05:17 PM
Rod does indeed have 2 CD's out, one 2-handed and one 4-handed. For those who don't know, Alan gave up on the ragtime piano gig and is supposedly working at Knotts now. Sophie and I are easy to find as we hang out there, do the fireworks thing (when in season) and are always there for closing when I don't have work the next morning. If you have never experienced the spectacle that is Rod Miller and us "regulars" I would suggest getting there about 30 minutes before closing to maybe get in on "Ballgame," maybe get to be a Rockette (with quarters... "remember, you don't need to have rhythm, but it sure helps a lot!"), and sing along with us at the Finale.

You will have a blast and be absolutely amazed by his finger speed! Oh yeah, if you buy a CD and show it to him, you might just get something special inside it for you... especially if you hang out there once in a while. :)

Sophie832
09-10-2002, 08:29 PM
To elaborate on Gauchograd's post...

The 4-handed CD isn't currently at the music store on Main St., but it is expected to be there (back by popular demand!) soon. The 2-handed is available, though, and it's great!

Johnny still plays piano at Coke Corner, and he's filling in for Rod this weekend.

Rod will be back next week, starting Sept. 18. He works W-Sun, usually from the late afternoon until closing. Someone told me that this site says he's been "discontinued" at D-land...that's not true, is it?

Gauchograd99 and I do indeed hang out there every weekend. I wish I'd known there were so many other mp'ers there! I hope we get a chance to meet.

sydney
09-11-2002, 01:07 AM
I'm at the park about weekly now, and each time I go... well, if it's between wednesday and sunday... I promise myself I'll only spend an hour with rod, but it usually ends up being closer to three. ;) Everyone's comments above seem so familiar and accurate, as rod truly is that much of a character. he stopped letting me shake his hand like a year ago and won't let me leave coke corner without a hug at the end of the night. and a couple weeks ago he let me play a few songs on *the* piano-- a moment I'll never forget. I'll tell you, when Rod Miller compliments your performance, it really doesn't get better. the piano at coke corner is of course very well tuned-- rod tunes it daily, and the action on it is incredible. the keys litterally seem to respond to your thoughts. rod says he's worked quite hard to bring the piano up to that level, and it truly is amazing how great it plays, given the long hours it's used!

Rod has become a staple of my visits and I actually would now rather not go to the parks if it's monday or tuesday. I've only played the piano for 14 years now, but Rod gives me hope that if I kept practicing (he practiced 6 hours a day, as he always reminds me), well, I'd have practiced more, at least.

I wonder if I've met any of you at the piano.... like I said, I've been there at least a couple hours a week for a couple years now...

Lost Boy
09-11-2002, 08:34 PM
When I go on Sundays, I always go to see Rod and stay awhile talking and listening. I have known him for years, and he is indeed a major part of Disneyland. I usually go around 4pm and stay until 5 or 6 (on the "good" days when I have the strength to last that long) and usually sit at the table to his left if I can. We have a great time.
:D

Sophie832
09-11-2002, 09:58 PM
Sydney...are you the one who plays Chopin's Polonaise? Rod always mentions this classical pianist that comes in (mostly Fridays I guess) and plays the piano a while. I'm dying to catch his performances, but I always get there too late. I think it is wonderful he lets you play the piano...if I played, I would love to get a little taste of the magic of those keys.

sydney
09-12-2002, 11:22 AM
nope, that's not me, sophie, but I've heard rod speak of "his classical piayer" as well, though I've never caught a performance ;) .

still, hope to meet you at the piano sometime!

stitcher
09-24-2002, 10:04 PM
I'll find out the next time I see the guy. Should get a good chance on Friday.

refurbmike
09-25-2002, 09:39 AM
This is sooo weird. I've also started coming on Sundays and stay for a few (3-5) hours. I must've gone a little over a week ago, but he wasn't there.

If you see the big nerd with the digital camera and the WDI polo shirt, that's prolly me. I've missed the past couple Sundays, but hope to start going again. I prolly won't be there this Sunday, but I'll try to hit the next. Hope to see you all there!!!

stitcher
10-02-2002, 10:10 PM
Arrghh! Must get off early enough to go to Coke corner on Saturday before park closes! Walking by just doesn't do it!

Morrigoon
10-02-2002, 10:19 PM
Rod was in rare form last Friday, playing all the fast stuff he hasn't played in *years*!

Sophie832
10-02-2002, 10:39 PM
I'm so glad this thread is back!

Last weekend at Coke Corner was a good one. Although every weekend with Rod is great, there are times when all the regulars are there plus a good-sized crowd, and everyone is participating. Those nights are magical.

This Saturday night, Disneyland closes at midnight. This is a one-night only deal for the Fall, so be sure and stop by and see Rod! Midnight closings are the best (well, 2am closings are the best, but hey, we get what we get these days). We'll sing Take Me Out to the Ballgame, do the quarters song, and maybe they'll even be some Russian dancing!

stitcher
10-03-2002, 12:53 AM
:crying: won't be off till 01:00 at Splash

Aloha,
Stitcher