PDA

View Full Version : Driving from Oregon

Pages : [1] 2

tagalong
09-09-2002, 04:26 PM
A friend and I are driving from Oregon next June for a 5 day vacation with our 3 kids ( 2-9yr olds and a 13 yr old). We were hoping to break up the 16+ hour car ride home with a stop somewhere between Anaheim and Oregon. Can anyone suggest a good stopping point? Or if there is anything of interest along the way?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Andrew
09-09-2002, 04:34 PM
What is your route north? I expect you'll be on I-5 or US-101, right?

I-5 takes you through the Central Valley. The main area of interest would be Sacramento. I'd say it's about halfway between your start and end points, not knowing exactly where you're ending up.

US-101 takes you mostly up the coast, and you could stop in Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, or San Francisco (or anywhere in the Bay Area) depending on how far you want to go before you stop.

Check with your local Auto Club office--they can plan a route with stops for you. And before you leave, check the current road conditions here (http://www.dot.ca.gov/).

teri
09-09-2002, 04:35 PM
If you care to hop over from Rt. 5 to 101 at some point, you might want to check out some of the fun things to do in Central Coast of California. It will add about 2 hours to your drive, but I think it is worth it.

Here is a link to my home-grown page of suggestions - I am quite certain that others will have more suggestions for you.

http://pixiedustinn.com/CentralCalifornia.html

TerryTiger
09-09-2002, 06:25 PM
Why not just drive straight through? You'll have enough time then to squeeze in a day at DCA. No need to sample the real California, Disney has it all right here in Anaheim. (tongue planted firmly in cheek).

and no, I'm not a DCA basher. I actually like DCA. I just thought I'd get this in before someone else did!

Morrigoon
09-09-2002, 06:36 PM
If you stop twice (those are pretty young kids!) allow me to recommend Harris Ranch off the 5 freeway. Great steaks and a nice hotel, and most importantly - lovely *CLEAN* bathrooms.

Best toilets between nocal and socal: Pea Soup Anderson's (I forget the name of the stop - Buttonwillow maybe?), it's further north, then about 3 hours later is Harris Ranch.

The other alternative is to take the long way: the 101 fwy down the coast. Takes 10 hours rather than 6 to get from nocal to socal, but you go through Monterey, Santa Barbara, etc. I feel like a fool, but I can't remember the name of the little Dutch town near Santa Barbara. CUTE place though! Great family visit. If you stop there in the middle of the day, you could get lunch at a bakery, and rent one of those family-size quadricycles and ride around for an hour, get everyone's legs in motion and some fresh air. I suspect you could also find funnel cake there, but don't quote me on it.

Okay, this is bugging me now... does anyone remember the name of that place?

CEO Andrew
09-09-2002, 06:40 PM
Morrigoon,

I'd love to visit that little town you mentioned outside of Santa Barbara, but I've never heard of it. C'mon, I'm sure someone out there knows what town it is. I think I'll have to take a day trip there sometime! :)

teri
09-09-2002, 07:21 PM
Solvang. It is in my little FAQ, I think.... it may be worth seeing if you have extra time. Good pastries there.

Morrigoon
09-09-2002, 07:24 PM
Solvang, that's it. :)

happyfunball
09-09-2002, 07:30 PM
well, as someone who's done that route many times, I can say you're in for one of the most boring drives of your lifetime.. :)

if you stick to I-5, there's not a lot to see between the siskiyous and sacremento.. just a lot of wide, flat space. between sacremento and Los Angeles isn't too much either, along that route.

101 is much more scenic and interesting but slower. if you want to sightsee you may not have too many options with such small children if you have them in mind.

personally, I always like to visit any of the spanish missions I haven't been to yet, if you're literary theres the Steinbeck house in downtown salinas.
or farther south there's a little touristy town called solvang thats kind of amusing.. as I recall, its supposed to be a danish village plopped down in southern california.
so, half timbered shops with palm trees out front that may be too far south for you though as a stopping point.

if you're just looking for an interesting place to spend the night, can't help you too much there as usually I just drive until I'm about to collpase and then find the nearest motel..

usually I drive straight through, but I dont' do that anymore.. big waste of time, I'd rather fly..
the only reason I'd drive now is to deliberately take my time and sightsee along the way..

Tigertail777
09-09-2002, 07:44 PM
Well I think this is probably more on the way back from California... but you must go through the redwoods avenue of hte giants on the old highway (forget the route #) lots of great stuff to see in a place that still holds the heart of the OLD california before all the industrilization. Some really great tourist spots from when cars were "the" thing. Like the chimney tree, trees of mystery, the drive thru tree, etc. And just the places to get off and look around in the redwoods themselves are wonderful! I highly reccomend it! If you are a Tolkien fan there is also the cheesy but fun "Hobbiton" walk trail based on the Hobbit. Word of caution though... if you have kids tell they they absolutely MUST take a bathroom break at every stop you can.. there isn't many bathrooms in some of the stretches through there.

kranders
09-09-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Best toilets between nocal and socal: Pea Soup Anderson's (I forget the name of the stop - Buttonwillow maybe?), it's further north, then about 3 hours later is Harris Ranch.

Okay, this is bugging me now... does anyone remember the name of that place?

Actually the town that Pea Soup Andersen's in is Buellton. Buellton is right off the 101 while Solvang is about 7 miles to the east.

Andrew
09-09-2002, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by kranders
Actually the town that Pea Soup Andersen's in is Buellton. Buellton is right off the 101 while Solvang is about 7 miles to the east.

The other Pea Soup Anderson's, and the one I think Morri was talking about, is in Santa Nella--about 7 miles north of the CA-152/I-5 junction.

I'd stay away from Harris Ranch, myself--it may be clean but it smells like cow poo. Probably because it is a real cattle ranch, a huge one. I try to drive past Harris Ranch as fast as possible, with the windows up and the A/C on recirc... ;)

Morrigoon
09-09-2002, 08:07 PM
I wasn't thinking of that one, I was referring at that time to the one on the 5 fwy, a couple hours north of Harris ranch. (there are, I believe, 4 PSA's in california, at least one of the other 2 is off the 99 fwy)

Basically any way you go, you'll eventually pass one ;)

Lani
09-09-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
Best toilets between nocal and socal: Pea Soup Anderson's (I forget the name of the stop - Buttonwillow maybe?), it's further north, then about 3 hours later is Harris Ranch.If you're talking about the Pea Soup Andersen's (http://www.peasoupandersens.net) on the I-5, the exit is Santa Nella.

Mmmmm.... I love their traveler's special. $7 for all-you-can-care-to-stuff bowls of pea soup, with bread rolls and crackers. Their soup is really good!

A lot of folks have recommended various routes, but what you need to do is prioritize your trip. Do you want to maximize your time in Disneyland? If so, you really have no choice but to go on the I-5. The 101 is much more scenic, but because it's not an interstate, you will have to slow down and drive through towns. This adds considerably to the time your drive takes. Instead, bring lots of music tapes/CDs, bring tapes or DVDs if you have a player for your car, bring lots of activities to do in the car (there are lots of children's activity kits for road trips), and pack drinks and snacks to keep the costs down on snacks at gas stations.

I'm with Andrew -- consider doing an overnight in Sacto. You will be 50 miles away from San Francisco if you stay on the interstate, and it is not worth the detour if you are in a rush to get to the parks. If however, your purpose of the trip is the drive itself, then by all means take lots of fun detours! :)

teri
09-09-2002, 08:11 PM
Right, there are Anderson's Pea Soup restaurants on both Rt. 5 and 101.

There are WONDERFUL places to stop for children --

Casa de Fruta has a fantastic playground, free

Bonfante Gardens in Gilroy is a beautiful theme park with terrific child-friendly rides

Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo is a fun stop and has very interesting bathrooms!

Pismo Beach

Morrigoon
09-09-2002, 08:31 PM
Santa Nella, that's it! I don't know why I was thinking Buttonwillow, that's way south!

101 route has more to do, but as mentioned before it is WAY slow! If it were me, it'd be 5 all the way down, stop in the good spots for bathrooms.

teri
09-09-2002, 08:52 PM
101 only adds about 2 hours for us... but we live a few blocks from 101, in Menlo Park, so going over to 5 takes extra time. I avoid Rt 5 anyway - the agricultural sprays and the area around Harris Ranch always make my asthma act up.

If I were coming south on Rt. 5 and wanted to take the Central CA scenic Route instead of 5, I would cut over to 101 at Pacheco Pass, stop at Casa de Fruta, and drive south from there on 101. Rt. 101 is only WAY slow until Salinas - after that it is smooth until about a 30 mile stretch through Atascadero and San Luis Obispo. It isn't so bad. :)

stinkerbell
09-10-2002, 10:36 AM
I live outside Salem and have made the drive many times, as a child, a teen, a college student and a mom.

As a young child, my parents always stopped in Redding. What's funny, is that everyone I know who has made the trip to Anaheim has stayed at Redding at one point or other. My parents always made sure we got a motel with a pool and that my sister and I got our exercise and were ready to travel again.

Then, when I was a teen and we stopped in Redding, I wanted to kill my parents for ruining our vacation for making us stop in such a stupid town that wasn't even warm. I was ready to get to the LA area and get some sun.

When I was in college (and many trips since), we drive straight through. We start out about dinnertime down I-5 (after eating at home), stop in Grants Pass for a late bite to eat (and lotsa coffee), and to make the adjustments for the kids for bed time. Then we drive straight through, arriving in LA area about 9-10 am. We rest at our hotel or the pool, or the beach. One time we spent the afternoon at the Pacific Science Center, had a quiet dinner and went to bed early to get up fresh for Disneyland.

We've done this to go to Disneyland a few times, to San Diego, and to Arizona and Palm Springs. I always feel like day driving is a waste of time (left over angst from too many 30 day trips across the country with my family), and I prefer to get it out of the way. We've also flown our last three trips to Disneyland, but plan to drive again next spring. Depending on the length of our trips, we'll see if we do an over nighter on our way or drive straight through.

There's a little place (going south on I-5) just after Mt. Shasta on your left. It's a country store. Go to the bathroom there. I don't want to spoil it. Let's just say one time we were going through at 3 am and I have never screamed so loud in my life.

They have a claw-foot tub in the bathroom with a fully-dressed mannequin sitting in it. The store owner/employees just direct you to the bathroom and listen for the screams. It's hilarious!

I also love going over the Grapevine at dawn. It's amazing. Especially since we have nothing like it in Oregon. Also, I love the first glimpse of Mt. Shasta at night. It always looks like you're going to run right into it. I love seeing Magic Mountain at 7 a.m. It looks so small and quiet. I cherish the first In n Out sign that I see, and know that I can bite into one of those juicy cheeseburgers pretty soon.

Anyway, I've done the trip over a dozen times and I really like it. I feel though, as we get older, that we'll start getting a room and a few hours of sleep in Sacramento. Then it's just about six (?) hours and if we can get on the road early, we'd still hit Disney area in time to check in and relax at the pool, etc.

Keep us posted on how you decide to go. I was an impatient teen who just loved to get to SoCal, where many of my friends lived, as well as the sun, and Mickey. Trees, Schmees, I just wanted to get there. Your teens might not feel this way.

:) Okay, I still feel this way. Who am I kidding? :D

Bill Catherall
09-10-2002, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by stinkerbell
I cherish the first In n Out sign that I see, and know that I can bite into one of those juicy cheeseburgers pretty soon.
We've got one being built just a couple miles from my house...right next door to the Krispe Kreme. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm... I think that area will soon be known as Cardiac Corner. :D

roberts1398
09-10-2002, 02:14 PM
I know when I moved from Sacramento to Portland (before I moved back again, lol), Sacramento to Portland was 600 miles. My sister was going to college in San Diego at the time, which was 600 miles from Sacramento. So, depending on where you are in OR, Sac would seem about the likely halfway point. And there is quite a bit to see here, including the amazing state capitol, and the really cool Old Sacramento area. It's along the riverfront and made to look like the gold rush days. Has the REALLY COOL State Railroad Museum, which is a WONDERFUL couple hour diversion. You get to walk through old train cars, including the dining car with it's china from various different ages in train history. Really fun.

If I were traveling with young kids, I'd drive down I-5 all the way. It's definitely the fastest. Boring to be sure. But fast. One overnight break in Sacramento, although you won't get much sightseeing time if you're going to make the journey in two days.

The 101 and Highway 1 detours are great, if you have a long time and your kids are good car travelers. But if they're like mine, and hitting you with the "are we almost there" s before you're out of the driveway at home, these detours will kill you. Better for when they're older!

Also ... I'd really recommend looking into getting one of those car t.v./VCR units to keep them busy for the long trip down I-5...

Morrigoon
09-10-2002, 02:55 PM
I love the idea of leaving after dinner like that, especially with kids. Probably best to plan your gas-up stop to happen AFTER you begin your trip - that way you can catch the after dinner nature calls at the same time ;)

stinkerbell
09-10-2002, 03:19 PM
Morrigoon, they go potty about 1 hour south in Eugene! :D Good call! Next time I won't bother gassing up ahead of time.....

Bill, stop it, you're making me drool on my keyboard. If they stuck a Rubio's on the same corner, I'd move into the parking lot. Breakfast at KK, lunch at In n Out and a fish taco dinner at Rubio's. :) Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............:p

I'm hungry. :rolleyes:

After posting earlier, I'm all excited about doing the drive down again. We're (two of us) flying there in six weeks, but when it's the whole family, I'm ready to drive it!

roberts1398
09-10-2002, 03:40 PM
Well, if you decide to stop in Sacto., you're welcome at our place, Stinkerbell!

Rhonda
09-13-2002, 07:55 AM
We drove to DL from Albany , Oregon in July and stopped at Santa Nella . I wanted to drive straught through but everyone kept saying it was too far . Our lunch stop was at Redding for our first time at an In N Out . We drove home in a day , left Anaheim at 7AM arrived at Albany 9PM . My daughters are 15 and 18 though so they were okay with the long drive time .
I wish we would have known more about the Sacramento area , we would have stopped there instead ! We were going to check out the Hard Rock Cafe but I was afraid I would get lost if I got off I-5 .
The best advice I got about the drive was to stay out of the two right lanes because sometimes they veer off into another direction . I remembered that advice when I took my daughters to a concert in Portland Sept 1st and got lost because the right lane forced me off at the wrong place .. so I wanted to pass that info on ! Overall it was a fun experience , we would do it again .

roberts1398
09-13-2002, 08:53 AM
Actually, you wouldn't have gotten lost! Old Sac and the Railroad Museum are right alongside I-5 (literally), and the state capitol and Hard Rock are just about 4-ish blocks off of it. There's also Sutter's Fort not too far away -- the fort that pre-dated and set off the discovery of gold, that has some cool historical stuff and a great place for the kids to run around and let off steam.

Ever want advice re: Sacramento, give me a buzz!!!