PDA

View Full Version : Soarin' Over California

disneyscott
09-09-2002, 12:59 PM
Before you think that this is another negitive thing about DCA iIwant it stated that i love to go to that park, disney theme and no crowds. I have had my AP sence Feb. and been there 43 times (yikes).

Now my point....even with all the bad things to say about the park, there aren't many people that have a bad thing to say about the soarn" ride. I just dawned on me that at the end of the ride it shows all the things you dont get at DCA

1..Fireworks

2. A holiday dressing of the park

3. PEOPLE

Why would a flying ride that is to start at DCA end up in Disney, is it to say look where you should be.

Ghoulish Delight
09-09-2002, 01:14 PM
I always figured it was proof that management never expected to get many day visitors at DCA. Their expectation was that the majority of people at DCA would be APers and people on multi-day park hoppers. Not a bad assumption. As has been proven, very very few people that have time to see only one park choose DCA over Disneyland, so the core audience are people who DO have the ability to walk across the way and see Disneyland, so they don't feel too guilty about "teasing" people with views of Disneyland.

That, and they wanted the film to end on property and they couldn't very well have film of DCA before they were done building it, which would be when they would have needed the film done.

RStar
09-09-2002, 01:49 PM
I've always wondered what it would be like to fly over DL, Soarin' gave me that chance. You are "Flying over California" and DL is in CA. You're not saying, "Look you're flying over Malibu, that's where you should be!"....

I think it is a great ending. If it ended at DCA, it wouldn't have had the same impact. I think they did it that way to play on our old fond memories of going to DL.

JeffG
09-09-2002, 01:49 PM
I think the ending is simply a tribute to the original park and an acknowledgement that it is an important California landmark.

-Jeff

Gemini Cricket
09-09-2002, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by disneyscott
I just dawned on me that at the end of the ride it shows all the things you dont get at DCA

1..Fireworks

3. PEOPLE

lol! :D

Maybe in the future they can add a DCA ending to "Soarin' ". That way, all of their rides will have lame elements to them... ;)

MonorailMan
09-09-2002, 03:17 PM
I found the ending so great, the first time I rode it, I sheded a tear. The ending fits Soarin' to a T. :)

innerSpaceman
09-09-2002, 03:29 PM
As JeffG so aptly pointed out, Disneyland is a bona fide California landmark, up there in fame with Half Dome or the Golden Gate Bridge. It was a no-brainer to end a travelogue film about California that's playing in a Disney theme park with -duh- Disneyland.

I don't think we need read anything more into than that.

RStar
09-09-2002, 04:03 PM
I agree totaly.

But it makes for a funny joke.......

However, it wouldn't even be a joke if the park were succesfull now would it.

disneyscott
09-11-2002, 12:53 PM
How much longer till most people would like to see a new film in there or will this one do for 5 more years, should disney think about adding this type of ride to there theme park?

MammaSilva
09-11-2002, 12:55 PM
considering the money men we have in charge at the moment I think they'll run the current film until it is beyond time to replace it both in quality and "boredom factor" we love the ride even tho we have been on it countless times...the end where we fly thru the fireworks is my daughters favorite part.....

RStar
09-11-2002, 02:09 PM
I love to take people on it and scare the poop out of them when the golfball comes at us!:D I yell "look out". He he!

LIMANDL4EVA
09-11-2002, 04:06 PM
I just dawned on me that at the end of the ride it shows all the things you dont get at DCA
1.Fireworks
3. PEOPLE

BUT...Those things are all found in the Disnyeland segement:D

newhdplayer
09-11-2002, 08:58 PM
Before you think that this is another negitive thing about DCA iIwant it stated that i love to go to that park, disney theme and no crowds. I have had my AP sence Feb. and been there 43 times (yikes).

Now my point....even with all the bad things to say about the park, there aren't many people that have a bad thing to say about the soarn" ride. I just dawned on me that at the end of the ride it shows all the things you dont get at DCA

1..Fireworks

3. PEOPLE

Why would a flying ride that is to start at DCA end up in Disney, is it to say look where you should be.

Speaking of people. did anyone notice the racial make-up of the crowd during the fly-over. It seems that some groups are statistically underrepresented.

MonorailMan
09-12-2002, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by newhdplayer
Speaking of people. did anyone notice the racial make-up of the crowd during the fly-over. It seems that some groups are statistically underrepresented.

Let's hope this is a :rolleyes:.

The flyover is at night, hence it's had to see a lot of people. :)

teri
09-12-2002, 07:41 AM
Folks, come on... the movie was filmed and edited before DCA was open! Now, if they did a new edition and didn't include DCA, that would be a bad sign.

The promotional videos for Disneyland Vacation Planning feature DCA quite prominently, with beautiful flyover shots.

BTW, Rstar, do you point out the Hidden Mickey on that golf ball to your friends? :)